Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Tayto

Managing storage with SF2

Just wondered if you guys had any ideas for managing SF2 mod installs?

I downloaded NF5 yesterday and installed it and it nearly maxed out my C: drive. I got a big SSD (my fourth in this machine) the other day and moved every game install out of the C: drive. SF2 and the mods are still the biggest non-Windows group of files.

I saw a KB article a while back about a way of moving the mod folders to different drives, are there any other ways or is that the best?

• Like 1

It's probably a good idea, to free up some space for you. I mean, I don't think there's any other method that would help you in your situation.

26 minutes ago, EricJ said:

It's probably a good idea, to free up some space for you. I mean, I don't think there's any other method that would help you in your situation.

I've done as much as I (think) I can. It's a smallish SSD (250GB). I'm considering cloning a much bigger one

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Mr_Tayto said:

I've done as much as I (think) I can. It's a smallish SSD (250GB). I'm considering cloning a much bigger one

Yeah man, get a 2TB (when this laptop dies I'm moving to a 4TB hard drive on the laptop) or higher dude. You can't do much with 250GB, if you can afford it. The amount of mods I have for SF2 alone is 133GB...

Edited by EricJ
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr_Tayto said:

I downloaded NF5 yesterday and installed it and it nearly maxed out my C: drive. I got a big SSD (my fourth in this machine) the other day and moved every game install out of the C: drive. SF2 and the mods are still the biggest non-Windows group of files.

I saw a KB article a while back about a way of moving the mod folders to different drives, are there any other ways or is that the best?

Try file compression as a stop gap if you already did that get a big 1tb-2tb SSD if you want you could even get a 8Tb HDD make sure its optimized for high write and read though

• Like 1

On 2024/8/26 at 7:22 AM, Mr_Tayto said:

You can do this easily

step1: move you mod folder to other drive.

step2: you will need to run a windows command to make a directory link from  C:\Users\your user account here\Saved Games. The command is as the following

mklink /J Your_shortcut_Name Your_Mod_Folder_Path

For example, your mod folder is the one called "Thirdwire" under the "Saved Games" folder. You moved the "Thirdwire" folder to your drive D:\

Then you need to create a linked folder still named "Thirdwire" under your Saved Games folder, which points to your moved folder that have a new path now D:\Thirdwire

Then the command is 

mklink /J C:\Users\your user account here\Saved Games\Thirdwire D:\Thirdwire

Edited by orsin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, orsin said:

This is great info, I'll try this, thanks!!

Edited by Wrench
No need to quote the entire previous post!!!