I am currently in the final stages of building a campaign using the Libya map in a 1986 setting. I have allocated approximately 23 ground units (give or take) to take part in teh ground war for Libya. The question I have is do they all show up or only some? At current I can see only 3 of the units. I know it is not a problem with unit types as I really only used about 6 different types of units and I see one of them but not another. Am I doing something wrong or will more show uop as the campaign progresses. ALL my air units show, both friendly and enemy.

Some help in understanding this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Areas circled in red should have enemy units.

Campaignmap.jpg

I am currently in the final stages of building a campaign using the Libya map in a 1986 setting. I have allocated approximately 23 ground units (give or take) to take part in teh ground war for Libya. The question I have is do they all show up or only some? At current I can see only 3 of the units. I know it is not a problem with unit types as I really only used about 6 different types of units and I see one of them but not another. Am I doing something wrong or will more show uop as the campaign progresses. ALL my air units show, both friendly and enemy.

Some help in understanding this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Areas circled in red should have enemy units.

Campaignmap.jpg

are you going to have the Rahbta Aspiran Factory as a principle target?

Is there some airbases in Tripoli?

Mitiga is quite in the city, and at that time (and since december now) served only for military purpose.

And Al Azizyah should be in Tripoli too, if its purpose is to simulate El Gaddafi headquarters... It's actually a part of the city rather than a precise location (except the barracks where Gaddafi used to live that borrow its name from the neighbourhood).

I've been working in a diplomatic representation in libya for some times some times ago, I'm quite eager to see this work finished!

Al Azizyah is a part of the city Tripoli proper. In fact as the map goes you really don't see a clear divider if I remember properly. There is unfortunately no air bases in or near Tripoli. I am far to inexperienced with modding this game to be able to add an airport myself. I have really only had WOV for about a month now.

Hi FL,

As I understand it, ground units will only show up at target areas which are also defined as strategic nodes in the [strategicNodeXXX] section in your Campaign_DATA.INI file. So the first thing to check is whether your strategic nodes are set up properly, connected to one another and ultimately to the enemy BaseArea.

As to start dates for Ground units, this can be defined so that a particular ground unit will show up only at a fixed date later in the campaign, but that is set by the "StartDate=" flag for each ground unit - it's not something the game will decide for itself.

I have had trouble with ground units disappearing after an offensive phase when the strategic nodes are set too close together, but from the look of your map that's not the problem you are having.

Good luck,

baltika

EDIT: Check this out:-

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=19858

Edited by Baltika

Thanks baltika. I will have to take a look over my strategic nodes. I know I calculated just about every city on the map and tried to avoid cities that were extremely close together. (ie. used only one of the cities not both) I know the nodes are numbered properly and I thought i verified paths between them all. I will have to triple check those as well. I guess my other option is to reduce the number of cities involved and just cut down the number of total cities involved rather than trying to make close to every city a node.

Is there an issue with more than one unit per node?

I guess I will have to just play a little bit more. Thanks.

I am aiming to please. I am very anal about such things and like stuff to be 100% correct and ready to go when I send this out to general public. I am having to do a couple custom skins as well since there aren't any of a couple that I can find.

Here is one of the custom skins I am having to make. It is not quite yet done but this is a stage along the way. You can at least tell it is VAQ-132.

scorps.jpg

I had not planned on it, but I suppose I could make a few of their units flyable. :wink:

bear in mind they were flying MIG-23MS, Mirage F1C and Mirage 5 planes at this time.

Edited by {FL}Hausser

Is there an issue with more than one unit per node?

Yes, each node can only have one ground unit at a time.

Sometimes, I'll assign multiple units to a single node, but I'll have them show up later in the campaign, via the STARTDATE keyword. However, if their start date arrives, and the previous unit is still on that node, the new unit will not show up.

Edited by JSF_Aggie

Here is one of the custom skins I am having to make. It is not quite yet done but this is a stage along the way. You can at least tell it is VAQ-132.

scorps.jpg

You know there are skins for the prowler here and at Fist of the Fleet.

If this mods gonna be freeware, I'm sure you can get the permissions to use them.

Yes, but neither site has VAQ-132 'Scorpions'.

Nor can I find VAW-122 'Steeljaws', VS-28 'Hukkers', VS-32 'Maulers' or if I add the SH-3 units to the carriers either HS-15 or HS-11.

I have searched Column5, Fist of the Fleet and here.

Besides that, several of the other skins I have downloaded from the other sites ... MAY.... be edited slightly to reflect their 1986 assignments. Take for instance the VA-37 'Bulls' skin I downloaded from Fist of the Fleet the skins reflects it being deployed on the Saratoga, however in 1986 they were onboard the USS Forrestal and part of CVW-6. With a tail code of AE versus the AC on the current skin. The version on Fist of the Fleet is correct for the Bulls from 1971 until 1983 when they left CVW-3. I have not decided yet if I wish to alter the skins I have downloaded (and give full credit to the original painters) to reflect the assignments onboard the America and Forrestal. My campaign with edited skins (if done that way) will give full creidt for all mods used, skins used and planes used to their original creators.

I know that there are many people out there that look at the small details like that. If the plane says Saratoga and it is being launched off the deck of the Forrestal they will... loose a sense of immersion.

Edited by {FL}Hausser

I had not planned on it, but I suppose I could make a few of their units flyable. :wink:

bear in mind they were flying MIG-23MS, Mirage F1C and Mirage 5 planes at this time.

MiG-25 and 21 too.

And I don't recall if the mirages were "5" or "III".

MiG-25 and 21 too.

And I don't recall if the mirages were "5" or "III".

According to the International Institute of Strategic Studies the Libyans were flying MIG-23, Mirage F-1C, Mirage 5, MIG-25, Su-22 and TU-22 (only 7)for all of it's fighters and ground attack aircraft. Of course that is not counting the miscellaneous trainers, support, transport and helicopters.

Regarding your PM, as I'm not quite sure mine have been sent:

Unfortunately, I'm not able, as I don't have such informations... Those I know in libya might know, but asking by mail is quite spicy.

I'll do my best.

Now don't go getting yourself or anyone in trouble. I can just use fictious unit names. No need to cause an international incident over a game.

Oh, it's not that spicy, don't worry...

All the more it might be difficult because what we are looking for might not exist! It might go very well whit Gaddafi's ideology of "people in arms" where individualism and all that stuff are not very well seen. And the army suffers from much defiance from the power, affraid (in the past, all the more) of some coup by non-elite and "politicaly sure" units: all that might add prestige, such as squadrons or units names might have been suppressed, and that may be why we do not find much on the web or books.

I admit I'm not that aware of libyan military, apart from the basics lines I got there, as it was not my area of work (mine is closer to press and politics, military stuff are just a hobby)

No need to bother. I found all their squadron information at Globalsecurity.org

The information may not be 100% but between the three websites I'm using for reference material I should be just fine.