Sign in to follow this  
toonces

Terrain problems in SF2

Hello all.

I hate to start a new topic on this as I'm sure I'm not the first one to have this problem.

I recently purchased the SF2 combo pack. I installed the SF2WoV complete mod as per the directions.

I am flying on an XP computer with an Nvidia GE Go 7600 card.

The first problem I am having is a wierd white line that appears about halfway between the aircraft and the horizon. It is very noticable over water, but it is on land as well. It moves with the plane. It is almost as if it is finding a seam in the terrain, for lack of a better description.

I tried flying in my unmodded SFWoI install and I have the exact same problem.

My second problem is the trees showing through the clouds in WoV. Also, the clouds look very jagged, especially when they are low/close to the ground.

I found a solution to the trees through clouds problem in the intermediate terrain modding knowledge base, but the SF1 cat extractor tool is giving me an error when I run it...

So, I'm having a lot of trouble here. I've tried searching for a while, but I'm just not getting hits on the search terms I'm using.

Thanks for any help.

Toonces

Toonces:

There have been all kinds of reports of problems with the Dec 2009 patch, which is what the Combo Pack uses.

Regarding the trees/cloud problem, there is no fix for that yet. The fix you found in the KB has already been incorporated into the SF2V Expansion Pack.

As for the other problem you're reporting, perhaps you could post a screenshot to give folks a better idea of what you're seeing.

Eric Howes

Guessing the G07600 is in a bespoke Laptop here - if its happening in WOI then maybe worth changing some of the 3d settings - you dont say if you have this issue in a unmodded SF2 game

For the extractor download and install it again - or just use the new catpack - works on SF1 and 2 cat files

Remember, too, the old Skypat Cat extractor don't work on SF2 sims ... you'll need Gerwins extractor. Works a charm on the new series; albeit extracting ALL files from the cat; but you'll probably find something after extraction you'll be needing anyway....

wrench

kevin stein

Hi guys.

Ok, a bit more info: the Nvidia card is indeed in a laptop. This laptop is about 4 years old. I updated the drivers last night (didn't fix it) and I checked that I have my dx version up to date.

I'm using the SF2 combo pack. I installed the comprehensive mod into the Vietnam mod folder. I haven't done anything at all to the Israel install (SF2 Israel from the combo pack).

Here are some screenshots:

WoV:

Note the jagged clouds.

img00002.jpg

img00003.jpg

Note the trees shining through the clouds near the canopy bow:

img00004.jpg

WoI:

The white line I'm referring to is on the water.

img00002-1.jpg

img00001.jpg

Now, if I need to change something in my 3d settings, do I do it in the graphics properties in windows (ie. right clicking on the desktop and then altering the properties), or is there a setting I can access in sim? Perhaps I need to change a graphics detail setting?

Finally, yes, it was the skypat extractor I was trying to use. However, if the changes are already incorporated into the mod, then I don't see the point of goofing with the .cat files.

Sorry, I'm a noob at this sim.

that oceanic white line looks like a tile edge* ... possible an issue with the canopyglass.tga and the sea.tag?? Just guessing of course...

*but if that was the case,you'd expect to see more between the sea tiles...?????

wrench

kevin stein

the edges of clouds looks like an effect the video card doesn't support

try setting the game so it doesn't use (or try to) advanced shadders

The white lines on the tile edges were fixed on my PC by increasing the anti-aliasing.

Ok, you guys have given me some great tips. Let me tinker with my card settings and see what I can get to happen. I will post results when I get them.

Thanks!

Hey guys, I just wanted to thank you again for your help.

I've been gaming on this laptop for about 4 years now but believe it or not, I never really knew about the advanced settings on my nvidia card. What a neat little utility that is!

Anyway, I found that there is a setting there where you can override the game's settings. I'm going to be experimenting with it and see what happens, but I'm betting that it will fix my issues.

A bit embarrassed, but I suppose it was worth it in the long run.

See ya,

Toonces