“For nearly a month, UN fighter pilots in Korea were catching glimpses of a "new Russian jet" in the skies over Korea. I finally got a crack at this `funny looking bird'. It looked like a MiG-15, except that the wings were high up on the fuselage, where the MiG-15 was a mid-wing aircraft. I gave him a few bursts and caught him in the right wing. Then other MiGs started coming at me from all sides and I had to get out of there. The MiGs seemed to be trying to protect the new boy."

"A USSR VVS unit of LA-15 jet fighters was directed to go to North Korea. The unit's airmen started training flights at an improvised airfield to get acquainted with the sector of operations. Almost immediately, the LA-15 main drawback became apparent - insufficient stability on landing under bad conditions. Within a short period of time four aircraft crashed. It was clear that the LA-15 did not pass the combat tests, and remaining aircraft were sent back to the USSR. Within a short period of time, production of the LA-15 was closed down."

“As has been noted, the MiG-15 was optimised for the bomber-destroyer role, with its heavy-calibre, slow-firing 37-mm cannon and high-altitude performance. The smaller, nimbler Lavochkin La-15 “Fantail’ had always been intended as the Soviet Union`s primary air superiority jet fighter and, with its greater speed, agility and armament of three 23-mm cannon, was felt to be more than a match for the Sabre. An evaluation unit of 22 La-l5s was sent to China for service over Korea. Fortunately for UN tighter pilots, the La-15 proved unable to operate in the primitive conditions encountered in China, and no fewer than four aircraft were written off in landing accidents before the detachment was sent home. This marked the beginning of the end for the La- l5 and only about 600 were built, their flimsy landing gear condemning them to second-line duties at well prepared airfields in the Soviet heartland. Frontal Aviation had no need for such a delicate aircraft!”

post-5138-0-91390300-1301316965.jpgpost-5138-0-69135500-1301316990.jpgpost-5138-0-61699000-1301317442.jpg

Edited by paulopanz

Russians never confirmed. But Mr. Yefim Gordon wrote another great book with some historical skins You can see here.

As I was working on it I added RR Derwent sound (Spillone104) and a Mig-15 cockpit to PC Pilot SF-2 work.

The drop tank was repainted.

post-5138-0-37379700-1301317489.jpgpost-5138-0-43512500-1301317484.jpg

wheels on ground & start bouncing fixed

post-5138-0-52276600-1301317619.jpgpost-5138-0-48801800-1301317608.jpg

As like guns flames for primary and secondary armament.

So I'll upload it very soon.

Paul :good:

I like, I like!!!

What a coincident!

I read yefim's book this weekend! Me likey the Fantail!

What a coincident!

I read yefim's book this weekend! Me likey the Fantail!

:drinks:

Uploading now .... but new uploader is worse than previous one.

:stars:

Very interesting.

Thanks for bringing this into the game :good: