Sign in to follow this  
thewoo1

Cutting Engine and outside noise

When I cut my power I stll hear engine noise though not as loud, I rember in RB3 if you cut the engine I could hear the wind whistling ..is there a setting I can change to achieve this

Are you flying alone? Maybe it's your wingies purring along. I'ld say look in Workshop. There are options there for various sounds and adjusting the levels to your preference. Trial and error perhaps. Good luck.

You should not hear your engine, when it is out.

I often have to make dead stick landings after clashing with Brisfits.

The engine stops, the propellor comes to a halt, and then all I hear

is the air streak in the wires, and the wind.

Check the balance in "workshop" - maybe you have the outside sounds

too loud and so hear your wingman to well.

And: your engine won't be out, when you only pull throttle back.

You should cut off magneto.

Edited by Olham

In the game, you can set various sliders to adjust volume levels for different types of sounds. In the Superpatch 1.32+, the default (as in realistic) slider levels are different from the original BHaH (see the sticky on 1.32 sounds above). But while the 1.32 settings allow you to hear more stuff over the motor than before, that's still pretty much all you hear if it's running at all.

From reading WW1 pilot memoirs, it appears that they only heard the wind when their motor was completely off. Even idling engines were LOUD. Mufflers were almost unheard-of in WW1. A few night bombers had experimental versions, but everything else had either straight pipes (inlines) or nothing at all (rotaries). Ever been around an idling Harley with (illegal) straight pipes? And that's just 2 cylinders of lesser bore and stroke than most WW1 engines.

Thewoo, you just read my mind. In fact, I've been working on this myself a little. I have been using a modified sound file that I think (from my experience flying in an open cockpit, which is limited, but I do have some) replicates the wind in the wires a bit better. It works better than the original in my opinion, but like you, I can't seem to get the volume higher, relative to the volumes of the other elements, and this is when everything is set on realistic. Does anyone here know what file and where it is located that you can open with wordpad to adjust this one element? A simple value change would solve this.

Woo is right however, the wind volume needs to be increased in general to be more realistic....even with engines on. You might not think it possible, but it has a roaring effect at these speeds in an open cockpit that should be just a few steps beneath the motor hum. Did I mention I am also a sound technician. Anyhoo, any advice on files and locations to adjust would further progress. TIA.

ZZ.good.gif

Edited by zoomzoom

I was flying CFS3 the other day and got my Spitfire perforated by some flak. The first I was aware of it was when I heard a sudden rushing wind noise, alongside the sound of the engine. I'm actually not aware if it's noticeably modelled in OFF so I'll have a listen with the engine off next time I fly.

Pick a good glider, like I think the Pup should be.

Then cut off magneto at 1.000 feet.

Once the prop stops turning, you'll hear the airstream over the surfaces.

Sometimes wind, too.

Edited by Olham

Here is a good example of what I'm referring to.

What you hear in this video is a fine example of the wind effect. Now granted, it shouldn't be THAT loud, (ie quite as loud as in the video) because what you are hearing is the microphone in the cam, accentuating it because it is being overloaded by the wind noise. In reality it would be audible though, just under the motor. A few steps down from the motor when running, and very distinct on an engine out moment. More so than it is currently.

ZZ.

PS. Getting this effect right adds immersion like you wouldn't believe.grin.gif

Edited by zoomzoom

I gave it a try, sound set to Realistic in WS, cut the motor at 5000ft and the sound is there, but very minimal.

If you are gliding you hear the faint wind sound but it never changes...diving and picking up speed gives no increased wind sound, so no feedback or sensation of increasing speed.

Basically, I don't think the wind sound is tired to the speed of the plane. Currently I think the wind sound it is just part of the motor sound file so basically controlled by the throttle.

Having wind sound tired to speed of the plane would be great but not sure it is do-able.

Well, having it scalable to the plane speed would be awesome as well, fine thought Scout77. Firstly though, I'd just like to try to make it more noticable in general.

ZZ.