RAF_Louvert

The Barmy OFFers Club: Have you what it takes to be one of the daft, the touched, the Barmy?

The Barmy OFFers Club

Throughout the annals of history people of like purpose and intent have gathered together in efforts to share and strengthen their common ideals and to strive in unison towards extraordinary goals. The Knights Templar, the Illuminati, the Freemasons, and other such ancient assemblies have used the combined abilities and fortunes of their members to attempt broad sweeping and long-lasting changes around the globe. Their greatness and power were and are inextricably tied to their like-mindedness and shared zeal, and because of this they became far greater than the sum of their individual parts.

The Barmy OFFers Club is nothing like this. We are a daft group, though rather clever and creative, who happen to share the same obsession for the marvelous WWI aerial combat flight sim, 'Over Flanders Fields'. We do not imagine for an instant that we will alter the course of world history, apart from the bygone years of 1914 through 1918 in which our many virtual selves fly and fight and live and die. Since we are a bit over-the-top we do things on occasion that are considered by those not of us to be...well...barmy. Furthermore, we don't look upon these things we do as a negative but rather more a badge of honour. Because of this shared skewed outlook we have been drawn together with others who not only understand but actually appreciate such daftness, as they suffer from the same wonderful instability themselves.

Are you such an individual? Do you lack the grip on reality it takes to become one of the BOC? If you think you qualify then we encourage you to apply for membership in this less than illustrious yet somehow elite group of halfwits. Read through our charter and post your qualifications below. Prove to us just how round-the-bend you are for OFF and you too can have your name added to our 'Roll Call Of The Barmy'. Dues will be collected in the club bar on the first Saturday of each month, (and if you believe for even a moment that there actually is a club bar you are closer to qualifying for membership in the BOC than you might realize).

BOC_Membership_Charter_01.jpg

Roll Call Of The Barmy:

Olham . .. . (Founding Member)
Dej . . . ... . (Founding Member)
Louvert . . .(Founding Member)

Lewie
Hasse Wind
Flyby PC
Shiloh
Almccoyjr
Widowmaker
Rickitycrate
Herr Prop-Wasche
Hellshade
tranquillo
Pappy55
Crossbones
Slartibartfast
Javito1986
Von Paulus
Creaghorn
elephant
Wayfarer
Hauksbee

Bullethead

CaptSopwith

carrick58

RamblingSid

HumanDrone

HouseHobbit

Britisheh

NS13Jarhead

Lothar of the Hill People

rjw

FenrisWlf

Beanie

DukeIronHand

Honorary Members (this lot is barmier than all of us):

Winder
Polovski
OvS
Shredward
Paarma
Sandbagger
Rabu
Makai
RexHannover
Nod
Capt.Winters
Matt Milne
And all the special contributors who have worked with the OFF dev team over the years

gallery_45680_645_8465.jpg

Edited by RAF_Louvert

I had to repost this topic from 1 July 2011.  The original thread was lost at some point in the not-too-distant past. :sad:

Lou, I had to laugh heartily again when I came to the line

"The Barmy OFFers Club is nothing like this."

Mmuahahahahaaa!!!

I think points 23 and 24 a proving not far off the mark.

Lou, I had to laugh heartily again when I came to the line

"The Barmy OFFers Club is nothing like this."

Mmuahahahahaaa!!!

Yea this was hilarious. I've missed Lou's write-ups! "Jawohl, unt velcome to hell, Herr Dummkopf."

If anyone even remembers that reference, they're indeed Barmy. And have been here too long.

Gentlemen, and founding members. I seem to recall being admitted to the Barmy group some time ago but my name does not appear on the list. Could it be in some of that Barmy invisible ink you folks use, or the kind I use when I sign cheques and then the signature fades away within 24 hours!! :bb:

No on occasion they remove someone just to make sure that they are reading it correctly...

No on occasion they remove someone just to make sure that they are reading it correctly...

Well, I know I should be on the list because my wife constantly reminds me how Barmy I am and she is never wrong!!

'correctly' here is defined as...

'upside down on a wooden school chair perched atop a precarious pile of furniture in the Mess, with the soot-encrusted soles of one's flying boots pressed firmly against the ceiling.'

The Membership Charter and member list shall be read by a randomly selected member at the start of each BOC gathering. He shall intone solemnly in the manner of one's headmaster at school registration, followed by the words 'Oooh Matron! Is that a dodo in my trousers...' an octave higher and the singing of the BOC Song (the one in my signature) to the tune of 'What shall we do with the Drunken Sailor'.

Upon descending, the reader shall be given a glass of Warsteiner which he will raise in salute to the assembled saying 'Per dementia ad astra' at which all shall down their drink in one.

NOTE: Whilst it says 'he' above BOC does welcome lady members, who are known as 'KnickerBOCcers because modesty obliges them to wear such garments whilst upside down at the ceiling.

• Like 1

Thank you Vice President Dej for that illuminating elucidation on this aspect of our BOC procedures, for those new members who may not yet be familiar with said procedures.  I often found myself in a similar attitude whilest updating our roster at the regular meetings which explains my rather glaring oversight.  Robert, you are a BOC member in questionable standing to be sure so no fears there, other than those generated by being a BOC member in questionable standing which is a fear we all share and one that only severs to bind us closer together.  The official roster has been updated and a round of "Contact (tink ... tink ... tink) Clear!" is now expected of all club members present.

Contact (tink ... tink ... tink) Clear!

Slarti, as I recall we only ever intentionally did that to one club member; you.  The resulting brouhaha made it painfully obvious, (as did my split lip), that such action was not a good idea no matter how funny we thought it would be.

Edited by RAF_Louvert

"Contact (tink ... tink ... tink) Clear!"

Thank you for describing the ceremony to us, Dej!

Okay, that's done - aerhh... could we now please come to the fluid part of the proceedure?

The annual beer-baptising of all members?

I like it how we have to find out which sort of beer or ale our heads are getting immersed into, until we raise a hand when we think we know...

It's quite hard to taste wether it's a stout or a red ale, a Bockbier or a Pilsener - when the nose is also under water - aerhhh - under beer.

I mean, the fear of drowning is usually my worst nightmare, but somehow  - yeah, I like this proceedure!

Edited by Olham

Yes Olham, that is one of our traditions that is most popular.  And if truth be told, it doesn't much matter whether or not the inductee actually guesses correctly to the identity of the brew he is being immersed into as it seems to take everyone three tries to get it 'right'.

Three times is traditional! Mmuahahahahaaa!!!

I shall let u all in on a little trick of mine which I have kept to myself all these years for fear that if others found out it might cut into my share!!

I always wear a heavy woolen sweater for the ceremonial dunking because it holds a lot of excess beer which I wring into a stein after I have exited gracefully to the Loo!

I knew a scots man who always put his shot glass under his armpit after downing a single malt! I asked him why he did this and his response was "I hate to give up the angels share which clings to the sides of the glass laddie!"

Cheers Gentlemen (including those with purses!)

Edited by rjw

So you guys don't say "purse" to your money bags?

I had looked it up in my online dictionary.

Could it be, that you use "wallets" for men rather, and "purses" for women?

(They could have mentioned that IMHO...)

So you guys don't say "purse" to your money bags?

I had looked it up in my online dictionary.

Could it be, that you use "wallets" for men rather, and "purses" for women?

(They could have mentioned that IMHO...)

Yes, you have it correctly, although I must admit that the clothing and accessory trends these days are blurring the differences for gender.

Robert, very clever with that heavy woolen sweater.  I imagine it adds a certain extra body to the beer as well, not to mention what it does to the moths in your closet.

Yea this was hilarious. I've missed Lou's write-ups! "Jawohl, unt velcome to hell, Herr Dummkopf."

If anyone even remembers that reference, they're indeed Barmy. And have been here too long.

hee hee ... just caught sight of this, Javito.  I do remember that one and I have been here too long.   :biggrin:

Edited by RAF_Louvert

...or the kind I use when I sign cheques and then the signature fades away within 24 hours!!

Now that's damned odd. When I sign cheques it's the money that seems to fade away.

• Like 1

Contact (tink ... tink ... tink) Clear!

By the way, the Mess steward respectfully informs me that the recently introduced habit of touching glasses for the (tink ... tink ... tink) bit, i.e.

Contact (clink ... clink ... clink) Clear!

... is going to have to stop, on account he's losing far too many glasses to inebriated heavy-handedness.

Let's stick to tankards gentlemen, and for the spirit drinkers I've taken a leaf from the Rittmeister's book and ordered a whole load of little goblets.

Not silver I'm afraid, these are made of the new Bakelite material... rather fittingly considering the inventor was a Belgian.

I'm going to have to try the beer and lanolin shandy trick - good way to get a last few pints when the bar closes!

Edited by Dej
  • Like 1

Bakelite goblets?  Hmmm, so we'll be hearing  (tack ... tack ... tack)  during our toasts then, rather than the more robust  (clink ... clink ... clink).  Not so sure I'm a fan of that.  :dry:

On an unrelated note, any ideas on how best to handle the transition of the club from being a bunch of barmy OFFers to becoming a bunch of barmy WOFFers?  T'would be nice to maintain the BOC moniker along with it's long and notorious ... err um ... illustrious heritage.   Thoughts?

WOFF would not be the same without the BOC - get your trandfer papers in!

Edited by Beanie

I say just keep it as is. If anyone ever asks, just tell them the name is part of the tradition and continuity of the series.

Beanie, how is it you've never tossed your name in for admittance to our questionable little group?  I've a hunch you would qualify and then some. :grin:

Bakelite goblets?  Hmmm, so we'll be hearing  (tack ... tack ... tack)  during our toasts then, rather than the more robust  (clink ... clink ... clink).  Not so sure I'm a fan of that.  :dry:

On an unrelated note, any ideas on how best to handle the transition of the club from being a bunch of barmy OFFers to becoming a bunch of barmy WOFFers?  T'would be nice to maintain the BOC moniker along with it's long and notorious ... err um ... illustrious heritage.   Thoughts?

Well...we could change the logo to "BWOC" but the "W" could be interpreted as "Womens". Hmmm....might be some benefits to that one!! We couldn't possibly reject female members then could we!!, and I believe a couple of members seem to show some interest in the fair sex participating / partaking... Oh well, justg a suggestion and as we all know I am somewhat Barmy so I could be excused from having thought of this. oh and by the way the sound of "BWOC" phonetically might be in line with the utterance of the logo mascot!!

Edited by rjw