About This File
Vosges Terrain (inkl. 1916 campaign) 1.2
Re-worked Vosges terrain V2.0
New: V2.0 - Including winter season
The Vosges Front is a mountainous area ranging from the Donon in the north and the Grand Ballon in the south. The old border between the German Empire and France from 1871 to 1918, now in Alsace and the Lorraine, was the only area of the Western Front to see mountain fighting during the Great War With transportation infrastructure and technology, impacts on the landscape and strategic challenges related to climate and geographic constraints, the Vosges mountains were the scene of numerous battlefields.
- This version of the Vosges front is 'based' on the work of Stephen1918 and Gepard. But virtually everything was modified (height-map to a massive degree, towns, front line, rivers, etc.)
- Existing versions of this map will NOT be overwritten with this version, since the folder is named 'wwiVosges'.
- You'll find a new map within FE called 'Vosges, France'.
- I've tried to include as much as possible into the terrain folder. This means certain object were made 'static'.
- Certain targets are at the very edge of the terrain. This might cause certain issues when flying into the virtual 'wall', e.g. edge of the map.
- To minimize the repetitive feeling of flying over tiles I've added a lot of green fields (fields without trees).
- The included campaign is just a small one with the possibility to fly recon and bombing missions (France/Germany).
- Train lines and trainstations (major cities and minor towns)
- 'Waterfalls' and shipping locks
- Small airfields and very large airfields
- Zeppelin airfield
- A rather busy frontline (make sure you've the needed objects)
- Switzerland as neutral country, altough it doesn't work 100% but that's an issue based on the game-engine. Including two Swiss airfields and a border with various gates, flags, bunkers, etc.
- Vosges terrain/front WW1 (incl. two seasons)
- Ground objects
- German/French reconnaissance campaign set in 1916
Q: Is it based on the already existing 'Vogesen' map?
A: Yes, but actually only as a basis. Everything was changed/adapted (heightmap, tilemap, targets, etc.).
Q: Does it include more than one season?
A: No, currently not.
Q: Is the frontline correct?
A: Yes as good as it gets, representing late 1916/early 1917 with certain omissions.
Q: Are all the named towns and cities correct (placement and naming)?
A: Yes as good as it gets. French denominations and German denominations.
1. Make a backup copy of your First Eagles folder (just in case)
2. Extract the file into a temporary folder (like c:\temp\)
3. Copy all the relevant folders into the respective First Eagles game folders
(example: c:\temp\Vosges\Terrain\Vosges into your c:\Program Files\First Eagles\Terrain folder)
- FE Gold (might work also with FE2, sorry guys don't know), with the latest patch
- Aircraft for the included campaign:
As usual I want to say thank you to all guys who helped me to create the Vosges terrain:
TK, Jan Tuma, Stephen1918 (for the improved Vogesen version from Gepard), Geezer (great ground objects), ojcar, Gepard (for the initial Vogesen version), Heck, geo, quack74, Edward, A-Team (airplanes not included), Guitarclassic55 (for the wonderful menu) and a lot of others. Of course Gerwin's TFD Tool was instrumental in the making of this terrain.
Sorry if I've forgotten someone. Please contact me if you want to be named at this place.
Thanks for files, suggestions, testing, bug findings etc.
The Vosges terrain is freeware.
You are free to modify and share it, BUT Commercial use is prohibited.
If you find bugs please post them in First Eagles section of Combatace.com forum.
Hope you enjoy it.
What's New in Version 2.0
- V 2.0 - Including winter season