daddyairplanes Posted Thursday at 11:19 PM Posted Thursday at 11:19 PM On 9/22/2026 at 8:47 PM, pagsab said: Mue's programme is great, but as its name implies, it lets one view LOD files rather than edit them. I think it could have helped me locate the prop textures on the bitmaps had I been more familiar with it, but I used 'seat of the pants' techniques instead as I did when repainting the planes' markings. Proper 3D model editing is currently beyond me. are you trying to change the appearance of the prop while parked or in flight? when parked teh prop is a part of the skin. however, when that fan starts spinning it is "skinned" by a seperate tga. you want to control what it looks like in flight, you need to adjust teh tga, not the model and the prop tga shows up along with the skin on model the tga is the circley part
Wrench Posted Friday at 12:52 AM Posted Friday at 12:52 AM don't forget, the OP is converting a STATIC model, not one really designed for flight. 1
pagsab Posted Friday at 06:42 PM Author Posted Friday at 06:42 PM In an early experiment to see whether using the static seaplane models would work at all, I tried putting them into a cloned Fokker Eindecker folder in FE2 itself. The result was that the entire engine block span disconcertingly around the vertical axis, clearly due to the rotary engine code in the Fokker files. After that, it was a relief when my SF2 conversions showed up with just a static prop. The only similar glitch I have encountered is that the Macchi M.41 tail fin pivots up and down like a railway signal when the rudder is used, but this is far less of a problem. If I can get the Supermarine Walrus and my reduced scale EuroWW2 terrain to work in FE2 rather than just SF2, a long term hope is to create an enhanced North Sea terrain including the relevant coasts, in which seaplanes, airships, Zeppelins and big biplane bombers can fly to simulate the many maritime and strategic bombing missions which took place across the North Sea in WW1. 1
pagsab Posted Saturday at 08:12 PM Author Posted Saturday at 08:12 PM Stephen1918's generic open bomber cockpit based on the AEG GIV cockpit makes a great accompaniment to his re-purposed static Lohner seaplane, as seen in the photo below of our Macchi M.18s during a routine patrol from La Ribera along the coast to San Carlos. Tarragona harbour is visible on our right, with the Reus airfield beyond for less flexible aircraft than our own! 4
pagsab Posted Sunday at 06:44 PM Author Posted Sunday at 06:44 PM I am still much more comfortable editing terrain than planes. As I said earlier, my manual tileset benefits from having only 3 different types of tile edges (land, sea or a 50:50 split), giving enormous flexibility in tile placement compared to standard tilesets in which woods, towns, mountains and grassland must all be matched up across multiple tiles. Some of my land and sea tile edges do have central channels or isthmuses respectively, but although these may link to similar features on neighbouring tiles, they may instead be cut off at the tile edge as shown below, without looking too conspicuous. After further experiments with Photoshop, I decided to give my Mediterranean tiles a more sun-bleached appearance by lightening them and their accompanying TOD elements by 15% using Enhance - Adjust Color - Adjust Hue/Saturation. As shown on the top row below, the result complements my earlier reddening of the tiles and distances them further from their northern European origins in Gepard's high resolution Battle of Britain terrain. Photoshop lets TGA tiles be edited despite their alpha channels, and the Quick Selection tool lets one confine one's changes to the land without affecting the adjacent water. The experience I have gained adjusting the tiles to portray Spain will allow me to add some basic seasonal variations when I return to my NW Europe terrain in due course. My original tiles will suffice for spring and summer, but I can redden the tiles and trees for the rich colours of autumn and lighten them and the buildings by 30% to portray the bleak and frosty landscape of winter, as shown on the bottom row below. (Persistent snow was much less frequent in the NW European lowlands than most seasonal SF2 and FE2 tilesets tend to suggest.) A great advantage of using just 55 tile variants and 2 TOD bitmaps is that such tweaks are easy to apply, and I love the way that one can transform entire landscapes with just a few hours of effort.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now