Excuse me, I'm new to WOV and SFP1. Can anybody tell me how to use the Weapon Editor?

Excuse me, I'm new to WOV and SFP1. Can anybody tell me how to use the Weapon Editor?

Be sure to read the Read Me, or use the search function here; you should be able to figure it out: there's more than one tutorial on these forums, all the way down to making nuclear AAM's.

-"Caesar"

Go here: http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=9323

If you're using WindowsXP, make sure that you run the Weapons Editor in Windows 98 compatibility mode (otherwise it will not launch). If you're not sure on how to do that, just run a Google search on "Windows XP - Windows Compatibility mode".

What's the difference between weapondata.dat files and weapondata.ini? Will they work separately or not?

The weapondata.ini file is editable in notepad (or any other text editor), and is basically there for the convenience of the developer. The weapondata.dat file contains all the info that's in the weapondata.ini (or, at least it should :smile:) in hexadecimal format, and is what the game engine actually reads.

That's why it's important to save any edits made in the weapondata.ini file with the weapon editor; the weapon editor creates a new (or updated) .dat file.

My weapondata.ini and weapondata.dat aren't matched (the .ini's contains more than the .dat). Do I need to add the weapon manually via Weapon Editor ?

My weapondata.ini and weapondata.dat aren't matched (the .ini's contains more than the .dat). Do I need to add the weapon manually via Weapon Editor ?

You never open the .dat. It doesnt matter about how many entries the weapondata.ini has either. Use my tutorial on how to add the weps. If you are creating a new wep then use the editor from beginning to end. Good luck.

Ok, thanks. But can anyone explain about how those files work? I'm still mixed up w/ their correlations, functions, etc

The weaponsdata.ini "feeds" the .dat file. The .dat file, tell the weapons how to work. Make sense?

Guest zerocinco

I have duplicate Gundata files. Where does the official Gundata.INI reside? In Objects or inside Weapons? Same for Weapons Data?

I have duplicate Gundata files. Where does the official Gundata.INI reside? In Objects or inside Weapons? Same for Weapons Data?

Gundata.ini & Gundata.dat must reside in the main objects folder. Weapondata.ini and Weapondata.dat should reside in the weapons folder (if you have one).

Guest zerocinco

Thx. I was afraid to move anything.

I "made" some artillery. They sort of work. Good enough for decorations. But when they fire a round, if the target is too far away, it disappears. In the Gun Editor or in Gundata, is there a number that increases the distance the shell will go and still explode? FI, take a look at 105mm_M102. It will shoot at enemies all day and it will hit them if they are in range but after the tracer burns out, that's it. No bang at the end.

So, Fubar, I KNOW it isn't real. : ) I want to find a way to match the numbers for the gun with the apparent visual descrepency in the 3D world. That gun has a range of 11500 meters but it "looks" like a mile on screen.

I've made MRBMs and 16" guns, and they all "reach out and touch someone", as they should. A couple of questions that you need to ask yourself...

1) Line of sight: What's the weapon shooting at?

2) Physics: What's the weapon's max elevation? What's the muzzle velocity and weight of the projectile?

Guest capun

Just some feedback from TK to consider.

I had this discussion with TK a while back since I was looking at implementing Ship Rocket Launchers, which are basically Indirect Fire.

According to TK, there is no indirect fire support, so the target must be "seen" by the weapon

Also I had problems with gun range and accuracy.

The accuracy of the gun is based on how far is the gun from the center of the model. This is not a big problem with smaller objects like tanks, but it is with larger objects like ships

The range of the gun depends on the diameter of the bullet, the Muzzle Velocity and the weight of the bullet.

From the conversation, I don't think they are 100% modelled correctly. So to compensate for the errors, you either reduce the weight of the bullet or increase the muzzle velocity. You could also reduce the bullet diameter, but I don't think it makes that much a difference

It's clear now, thanks USAFMTL ! I was wondering about adding rocket launcher to ship, or a PT Boat with torpedoes

I've set the Weapon Editor Compatibility mode to Windows 98, but after I finished editing the wep and launch WOV to test it, there's always an error message. What I'm supposed to do?

Guest zerocinco

Good info.

This being a flyboy game, I mostlywant them down there to kill. And they do that very well.

I have a Khe Sanh thing I am working on. It's cool to watch the rounds going back and forth across the valley. I do need to adjust the range, though. Right now, they are almost close enough to throw pies at each other.

I've set the Weapon Editor Compatibility mode to Windows 98, but after I finished editing the wep and launch WOV to test it, there's always an error message. What I'm supposed to do?

Did you accidently delete one of the default weapons? If you did it, can crash it.

Well, the stock ECM Pod disappear from the list when I open the Weapon Editor

Well, the stock ECM Pod disappear from the list when I open the Weapon Editor

I think that is it then.

That leave me puzzled when I try to edit the wep, especially when weapons started to disappear. Is the Misc. Store at the New Weapon Dialog unusable?

Its usable but do not mess with the default weps. Make a copy of that wep then edit it. But messing with the default stuff has always crashed the sim for me.

Its usable but do not mess with the default weps. Make a copy of that wep then edit it. But messing with the default stuff has always crashed the sim for me.

Which one do you mean, copy the .dat file or the deafult weps entry from .ini file?