Sign in to follow this  
Simmer

MiG-21 available in WoV?

I am pretty obsessed about the Vietnam war era and any games mapped to that era. I didn't know there is Wing over Viwtnam until yesterday when I surfed the net.

I am intending to buy it, but before that, I would like to know if MiG-21 is available via some add-ons, because I understand the stock aircrafts include no MiGs.

I am pretty obsessed about the Vietnam war era and any games mapped to that era. I didn't know there is Wing over Viwtnam until yesterday when I surfed the net.

I am intending to buy it, but before that, I would like to know if MiG-21 is available via some add-ons, because I understand the stock aircrafts include no MiGs.

Howdy Simmer...yep theres a few of em layin round here...check the menus and the downloads sections here and the Links...and good to see you come out of that cave you've been in. :rofl:

The stock aircraft includes AI Migs.

These are very easily converted to user flyable aircraft but there are loads of 3rd party addons as well..

The default WoV AI aircraft include:

MiG-17

MiG-17F

MiG-19S

MiG-21F

MiG-21PFV

MiG-21PFM

MiG-21MF

There are third party cockpits for the MiG-21F, the '21PFM, and the '21MF. There is a third-party '21F-13 (by the Mirage Factory) that's so detailed, that I delete the default F and use that model instead.

There are cockpits in the works for the MiG-17 & '19 series.

There are advanced flight models available for all of them, and tons of VPAF skins, as well.

Also, MK2 created an entire 'VPAF" WoV install mod that turns it into a separate game.

Bingo! I can't wait to get the box. Hope it is still on the shelves because this game came out in 2004. Goodness in heavens! How would I be so stupid to overlook this game.

You said there are MiG-21s, sure it does. But, are they flyable by way of installing add-on? Also, when you say there are cockpits for the MiG-21, are they completely new pits, or they retain the MFD of the stock aircraft's and modify the rest of the pit?

By the way, is WoV's graphics as gorgeous as that of Strike Fighter:Project I? The 3D models of all aircrafts are so fabulous looking in SFP1. The reason I would like to get WoV is primarily because of the A-7 Cosair. I watched "The Thriteen Days" on the other nights, talking about the Cuban Missile Crisis and it was the first time I eer saw the A-7 on TV.

My rig is AMD 2200+, 768MB RAM with a GF5900XT(128MB) only. Would this "legacy" system support the game good enough?

One last question which is essential to know: definitely I will have to gather many add-ons and install them to WoV that's completely okay with me. However, I do not have SFP1 , do I need SFP1 in order to install the add-ons for WoV?

Bingo! I can't wait to get the box. Hope it is still on the shelves because this game came out in 2004. Goodness in heavens! How would I be so stupid to overlook this game.

You said there are MiG-21s, sure it does. But, are they flyable by way of installing add-on? Also, when you say there are cockpits for the MiG-21, are they completely new pits, or they retain the MFD of the stock aircraft's and modify the rest of the pit?

The pits available for the 21F13, 21PFM, and 21MF are new, with their own individual avionics. Ther were no MFDs prior to the early 1980s

By the way, is WoV's graphics as gorgeous as that of Strike Fighter:Project I? The 3D models of all aircrafts are so fabulous looking in SFP1. The reason I would like to get WoV is primarily because of the A-7 Cosair. I watched "The Thriteen Days" on the other nights, talking about the Cuban Missile Crisis and it was the first time I eer saw the A-7 on TV.

WoV (and WoE) use the Strike Fighters engine, so the graphics are the "same".

My rig is AMD 2200+, 768MB RAM with a GF5900XT(128MB) only. Would this "legacy" system support the game good enough?.

There are simmers running this title on Pentium 3s with only a few adjustments. You should be fine.

One last question which is essential to know: definitely I will have to gather many add-ons and install them to WoV that's completely okay with me. However, I do not have SFP1 , do I need SFP1 in order to install the add-ons for WoV?

No. WoV is its own stand-alone sim.

Thanks Fubar512. Would you be kind enough to point me to some urls so that I can have a glance of those add-ons. Hopefully, I will be offered some screenshots of the MiG-21 pits. And by the way again, do ground units move in WoV? I know for a fact that they don't in SFP1.

Thanks Fubar512. Would you be kind enough to point me to some urls so that I can have a glance of those add-ons. Hopefully, I will be offered some screenshots of the MiG-21 pits. And by the way again, do ground units move in WoV? I know for a fact that they don't in SFP1.

I fly the MiG-21MF in 'Strike Fighters'. Unlike the stock pits for all of the other aircraft, Mago & Co.'s MiG-21MF pit has moveable stick and pedals. It also has functional RWR. You can download that pit right from this site.

Edited by Tristan

MiG-21 cockpits by Badger the Bad and Mago

F

f.jpg

PFV

pfv.jpg

PFM

pfm.jpg

MF

mf.jpg

PF and SM pits too

Most admirable pits I have ever seen for a MiG-21. I love this aircraft, because of its legendary history in the aviation history. And these 3D pits revive the aircraft in the game. Also look at the clouds, 3D clouds.

So, where do I begin. I have the vanilla version now, I suppose I have to install some patch or add-on in order to get one of these pits working ?

I can fly the MiG-21, it is in Single Mission. Wow! :clapping: But there is no pit. I think I have mis-installed the pits into the worng folders.

There is no turbulance simulated apparently. Inside the cockpit, I feel everything is so 'still' too 'stable', doesn't give me a feeling that I am ... you know flying a jet.

The vanilla version doesn't come with a mission editor? Do I need to patch it up to get one? Or there is a 3rd party add-on?

Edited by Simmer

Most admirable pits I have ever seen for a MiG-21. I love this aircraft, because of its legendary history in the aviation history. And these 3D pits revive the aircraft in the game. Also look at the clouds, 3D clouds.

So, where do I begin. I have the vanilla version now, I suppose I have to install some patch or add-on in order to get one of these pits working ?

I can fly the MiG-21, it is in Single Mission. Wow! :clapping: But there is no pit. I think I have mis-installed the pits into the worng folders.

There is no turbulance simulated apparently. Inside the cockpit, I feel everything is so 'still' too 'stable', doesn't give me a feeling that I am ... you know flying a jet.

The vanilla version doesn't come with a mission editor? Do I need to patch it up to get one? Or there is a 3rd party add-on?

You don't need to install a patch for pit upgrades, unless by "patch" you mean an official game patch. There should be read-mes that come with the pit files; the installation instructions are usually pretty simple.

BTW, how did you manage to get inside the cockpit of your simulated jet? Is this a Tron thing going on here or something? :huh:

If you want to find out where to download things like mission editors, you'll have to do a little homework. Start by perusing the community links section on this site.

MiG-21's did not stall buffet in real life (if that's what you meant by turbulence). They simply allowed you to reach an overly high Alpha angle with little or no warning and began losing air speed, even if you were in afterburner. This is a trait common to just about every delta-winged aircraft.

The mission editor is a third-party add on, I'm familiar with Kreelin's Mission Editor, so I recommend that one.

One more thing; I've noticed that you've asked about adding the patch (in regards to a mission editor). I highly recommend that you add the most recent patch before you begin modding...

You are right. I just unzipped the files and run the 2 executables in sequence and I had got the MiG-21 as flyable aircrafts without applying any patch. But the trouble I was, the interior is gone! I don't have the instruments and everything. Just like "Pit switched off". What have I done wrongly?

When I say patch, I mean the patch SP4. I found it on this site under the download section. Do I really need that patch? The only thing I can see having the need of it is the 3D clouds.

Would you be kind enough to give me the url so that I can download the Mission Editor. A bit let-down by the absence of the Mission Editor. Every flight sim games I have played before comes with a Mission Editor.

The patch also fixes the AI, making it much more aggressive and effective. It also introduces a considerably simpler ground object format.

The mission editor is located here under "SF/WoV utilities".

The patch also fixes the AI, making it much more aggressive and effective. It also introduces a considerably simpler ground object format.

The mission editor is located here under "SF/WoV utilities".

Thanks Fubar512! I have downloaded KMD and unzipped it into the home folder of WoV. I clicked Terrain Map, and went to the VietnamSEA folder and loaded the map. Then I selected New File>New Mission. Is there a way for me to add ground units? Also, I can only select 1 aircraft, how do I create other aircrafts?

Sorry Furba512,

The questions I asked was stupid! I have foound my way inside the editor. It's all about left click here and right click there! I am alright. Shall post back when I have real problems.

Best regards

Simmer

Simmer,

after unpacking the downloaded file for the F PF PFM pits you should have a sub-folder called "[1919]Cockpits_MiG_21_F_PF_PFM_V1.0" , it contains a Installation.txt and two exe files :

SFP1.exe

WOV.exe

Installation.txt :

MiG-21 F/PFM/PF Cockpits for SFP1 and WOV

-----------------------------------------

BY: MAGO & BADGER the BAD

INSTALLATION

Back up your MiG-21(F/PFM/PFv).ini and

MIG-21(F/PFM/PFv)_DATA.INI files.

Extract the files from SFP1.exe (self

extracting rar file) to your main Strike

Fighters directory, that’s it.

For Wings over Vietnam extract first

SFP1.exe and then WOV.exe.

#################################

Do as the readme says, if you want the MiG pits in WOV :

1. run the SFP1.exe, pointing it to your MAIN WOV folder

2. run the WOV.exe, pointing it to your MAIN WOV folder

if it asks to overwrite files, let it do

for the MF pit,

after unzipping the file you have a subfolder with 2 exe files :

Cabina.exe

WOV.exe

same procedure as with the F PF PFM pits

1. run the Cabina.exe (again pointing it to your MAIN WOV folder)

2. run the WOV.exe (as above)

Edited by Crusader

Thanks Crusader.

I have spent a few hours on WoV so far. I have the following feelings:

Pros

Very niche graphics. Better than Falcon 4.0's. But compared against that of LOMAC and IL-2, I don't know which one is better.

No building, structure nor trees.

Tanks formation is rather messy, they overlap each other.

Cons

Very good sound algorithm. The game loads up really fast, ,mission loads very fast also. All aircrafts are between 50's and 70's fills the gap other sims don't provide.

Pis add-on are excellently done.

Mission Editor very easy to use.

I am not sire if LOMAC has MiG-21 add-on, but given the 3D models of LOMAC offers, the MiG-21 should be very good looking.

One question: do you guys play this sim just for battle in the air? You don't realy care what happens on the ground exept one of those SAMs. Any other SAM batteries apart from SA-2?

There are buildings, and trees. Their are trees available as third party add-on by Deuces. Regarding buildings; North Vietnam circa 1964-1973 wasn't exactly an urbanized environment by any stretch of the imagination!

LOMAC has no MiG-21 addon, and does not allow for third-party models.

To the best of my knowledge, the North Vietnamese had mainly (and possibly, only) SA-2-series SAMs, though they were rumored to have deployed SA-3s by the end of 1971. That rumor has not been substantiated.

SAM-wise, add on (third party) SA-3/SA-8/SA-9/SA-19 launchers are available, if that's what you're looking for. Also, WoE introduces the SA-6 into the mix, and it's my understanding that the SA-10 is under development. For the NATO side of things, there are Chaparrals, Nike Ajax and Hercules, Terrier, Sea Sparrows, SM-1 & SM-2s, the Roland, Hawks, ad-infinitum.

AAA is also quite well covered, with add on 37mm, 85mm, 100mm, 130mm, and M-42 Sky Sweepers (Dusters) available for Vietnam-era ops.

There are buildings, and trees. Their are trees available as third party add-on by Deuces. Regarding buildings; North Vietnam circa 1964-1973 wasn't exactly an urbanized environment by any stretch of the imagination!

LOMAC has no MiG-21 addon, and does not allow for third-party models.

To the best of my knowledge, the North Vietnamese had mainly (and possibly, only) SA-2-series SAMs, though they were rumored to have deployed SA-3s by the end of 1971. That rumor has not been substantiated.

SAM-wise, add on (third party) SA-3/SA-8/SA-9/SA-19 launchers are available, if that's what you're looking for. Also, WoE introduces the SA-6 into the mix, and it's my understanding that the SA-10 is under development. For the NATO side of things, there are Chaparrals, Nike Ajax and Hercules, Terrier, Sea Sparrows, SM-1 & SM-2s, the Roland, Hawks, ad-infinitum.

AAA is also quite well covered, with add on 37mm, 85mm, 100mm, 130mm, and M-42 Sky Sweepers (Dusters) available for Vietnam-era ops.

What era is it simulating in WoE? Information in hands suggest that it is set in modern time prior to 1989. BUt the feature section mentions Korean/Vietnam era aircrafts like F-105, F-100 and F-4 of course. By the way where is the Start Fighter F-104?

Looks like WoE will bring us back to the missile rich platforms. Then it is not much difference from say LOMAC.

I have to withdraw what I said about the turbulance. If I push up the afterburner, the game simulates increased momentum by "shaking" the cockpit thus making me feel like I am "floating" in the air. That is what I mean by turbulance, just like to see some simulated vibration of the aircraft.

Jets do not "vibrate". The shaking you're describing is trans-sonic buffet. It goes away above Mach 1.

By the way where is the Start Fighter F-104?

the F-104 saw little service in Vietnam but there are also apparently licencing issues with Lockheed.

There is an F-104G for SFG that I understand may also be used in WOV with a bit of work.

Afaik WOE covers '56-85.

Jets do not "vibrate". The shaking you're describing is trans-sonic buffet. It goes away above Mach 1.

Ok, Furba512. So it is called trans-sonic buffet. That is what I am most concerned about, for most of the sims out there. A long time ago, there is another sim called "Joint Strike Fighter" produced by Eidos. I can still run that sim on my Windows XP SP2 PC despite it is supposed to run on a 3DFx based system. At any time you fly any jets in the sim, trans-sonic buffet is simulated all the way.

When I travel on board a civilian aircraft, I can always feel the turbulance even though some times, it is very light. I guess when you fly low, even in a jet fighter, you will experience some sort of turbulance. In the sim, and in many other similar sims, I feel "still" inside the pit as if I am traveling in space??