Guest capun

Saab JA-37 Viggen

Guest capun

File Name: Saab JA-37 Viggen

File Submitter: capun

File Submitted: 21 Aug 2006

File Updated: 27 Aug 2006

File Category: Cold War Aircraft

The SFP1 Dev A-Team (capun, Gramps, Charles, Kesselbrut & The Wrench) present the Saab JA-37 Viggen.

This model represents a mid-life update of a AJ-37 Airframe to JA-37 standards.

Model by capun, Textures by Gramps, FM and Screens by Charles, Virtual Cockpit by Kesselbrut

Many thanks to all devs who contributed to this project. Please read the Installation instructions file for a complete list of contributors.

Design Based on source files by Anders Lejczak (www.colacola.se)

8/25/06

Release 1a Updated FM and fix for Decal issue

Click here to download this file

Guest capun

We just could not wait for Swede's model to be released. Just watch out, it is not a dogfighter, it is an interceptor. According to sources, it bleeds speed to fast that there are only two small airbrakes and they were seldom used.

thanks capun for making it you and the A-Team becuase i always what to know if it was worked on thanks man!!!!

A dream,one of the best Aircraft in Strikefighter's today.

Brilliant Work!

Thank's alot!! :good:

File Submitter: <a href='http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showuser=198'>capun</a>

File Category: <a href='http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?automodule=downloads&showcat=72'>Cold War Aircraft</a>

The SFP1 Dev A-Team (capun, Gramps, Charles, Kesselbrut & The Wrench) present the Saab JA-37 Viggen.

Model by capun, Textures by Gramps, FM and Screens by Charles, Virtual Cockpit by Kesselbrut

Many thanks to all devs who contributed to this project. Please read the Installation instructions file for a complete list of contributors.

<a href='http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?automodule=downloads&showfile=3114'>Click here to download this file</a>

Congratulations to the team. Well Done!

File Submitter: <a href='http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showuser=198'>capun</a>

File Category: <a href='http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?automodule=downloads&showcat=72'>Cold War Aircraft</a>

<a href='http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?automodule=downloads&showfile=3114'>Click here to download this file</a>

Great work, big gratz to all involved. This has long been one of my all-time favourite aircraft so thx again :))

I'm working on a commemorative paint scheme atm , will post it soon .

Guest Charles

After helpful community feedback, an updated SAAB Viggen package has been posted, and is available at CombatAce.

The update has an improved FM, and a fix for some of the decals.

Guest capun

Try it once more, the first update did not worked.

File Updated: 27 Aug 2006

8/25/06

Release 1a Updated FM and fix for Decal issue

Well I don't know what to say... I'm glad that you bought the model from me but if you redistributed any deriviation from the original mesh then you broke the license agreement. If you used the Cinema 4D "reference setup" to model your own mesh from scratch then it is OK.

And whoever "made" the texture for this model more or less copied it from my site:

http://www.colacola.se/pix/viggen_texture_camo.jpg

:(

/Anders

Edited by bazze

Guest Sony Tuckson

oh, surprise....

Hey, now, let's not all get upset! :nono:

I do not have a copy of whatever license agreement there was between capun and Anders, but since this was brought up by Anders in a public forum...

On your site, on the Ja-37 page:

The package includes:

* model in .obj format (for users of Bryce, Vue and other programs)

* model in .3ds format (for users of 3D Studio and other programs)

* Poser specific files with file paths and external geometry (can be extracted directly into the Poser folder)

* .jpg texture (modern version) & bump maps (2048*2038)

* .jpg texture (classic camouflage version)

* texture template (for making your own textures)

Since this texture is included with the rest of the model, I assume it falls under the same terms as the rest of the license agreement. Does that it license specifically allow for redistribution of the skins or does it not since you're providing a template? If not, that might be something you'd want to consider changing.

I'm just trying to make sure all the facts are known before anyone starts pointing fingers or getting all ticked off at each other. For my two cents, things like this are usually better resolved in private anyhow.

Since you're the original modeller, let me say my hat's off to you for a nice Viggen. (Pitot tubes notwithstanding)

:ok:

Hi guys,

I'm glad that you liked the model and I'm not very upset but a bit confused over what has been done.

Scenario A - OK!

If the model downloadable from this site has been modeled from scratch (using my Cinema4D Viggen reference setup) and the textures have been painted from scratch (using my texture template) then everything is OK!

Scenario B - Not OK!

The model on this site has been coverted from the original mesh and the textures are copied from the original textures.

I suspect that Scenario B is the case... If you take a look at this picture then you will see that the textures most probably are not created using the template but copied from the original. And since the model available on this site has almost an identical UV-layout as the original I suspect that it has been converted from the original mesh and not modeled from scratch.

post-19493-1158824823_thumb.jpg

Edited by bazze

Guest Charles

Anders:

I am a little puzzled by the concern you express, but it seems serious, so I thought a response was warranted.

The Viggen for Strike Fighters is based on your model, which was purchased from you by Capun. The release notes with the Viggen package itself, and on the CombatAce download page, plainly attribute the model to you, and also advertise your website ("Design Based on source files by Anders Lejczak (www.colacola.se)").

Your model is advertised as coming in several formats (including .obj and .3ds), "UV-mapped and textured", and with jpg textures ("grey modern version and classic camouflage version") and texture template ("for making your own textures") included.

Your license says that "When you purchase a model from the store you get a personal non-exlusive license to use the model as you wish (both personal and commercial projects)". This is what the A-Team has done.

Capun converted your model from .3ds format into the LOD format used by Strike Fighters. Gramps used the accompanying textures which came in the package to create skins for this LOD to work in SF. I wrote the flight model file and other data files. Kesselbrut contributed the cockpit.

The Viggen for SF has been very popular (over 900 downloads from CombatAce alone, plus more from Capun's site), and I for one enjoy flying it in SF. I think it is a great model. Apart from some carping by one or two mod-Nazis about detail, your model has been very well received by the whole SF community.

You now seem to be suggesting that, having purchased your model with a licence "to use it as you wish", whether for personal or commercial projects, there is some other limitation on the use to which the model or the accompanying textures can be put. Can you explain what this limitation is, and how it fits into your licence "to use the model as you wish (both personal and commercial projects)"?

Gather round boys and girls:

Bazze has requested that in the future NONE, repeat NONE of his model's are to be redistributed without his written consent and posting of same. He does not wish this mod to be pulled and spoil the enjoyment that is derived from same. He considers the issue concerning this particular mod closed.

Anders:

I am a little puzzled by the concern you express, but it seems serious, so I thought a response was warranted.

The Viggen for Strike Fighters is based on your model, which was purchased from you by Capun. The release notes with the Viggen package itself, and on the CombatAce download page, plainly attribute the model to you, and also advertise your website ("Design Based on source files by Anders Lejczak (www.colacola.se)").

Your model is advertised as coming in several formats (including .obj and .3ds), "UV-mapped and textured", and with jpg textures ("grey modern version and classic camouflage version") and texture template ("for making your own textures") included.

Your license says that "When you purchase a model from the store you get a personal non-exlusive license to use the model as you wish (both personal and commercial projects)". This is what the A-Team has done.

Capun converted your model from .3ds format into the LOD format used by Strike Fighters. Gramps used the accompanying textures which came in the package to create skins for this LOD to work in SF. I wrote the flight model file and other data files. Kesselbrut contributed the cockpit.

The Viggen for SF has been very popular (over 900 downloads from CombatAce alone, plus more from Capun's site), and I for one enjoy flying it in SF. I think it is a great model. Apart from some carping by one or two mod-Nazis about detail, your model has been very well received by the whole SF community.

You now seem to be suggesting that, having purchased your model with a licence "to use it as you wish", whether for personal or commercial projects, there is some other limitation on the use to which the model or the accompanying textures can be put. Can you explain what this limitation is, and how it fits into your licence "to use the model as you wish (both personal and commercial projects)"?

Hi,

yes the license basically says use it as you wish as long as you don't redistribute it in any form,

I have already asked the admin not to remove the files - I don't wish to spoil the fun for the members of this community since I'm an aviation freak myself. Since the team credited me I don't see any bad intetion.

BR,

Anders

Guest Gramps

So do we have a problem or not? If not, we'll all move on together as there is at least one other model or yours we plan to do:

Frank%20-%20Large%20Silver.jpg

Frank%20-%20Large%20Green.jpg

Obviously the Ki84 WIP (model needs much more work), with some proper textures up to SF standards, which the Viggen one's really are not (or at least that's what's been said at Column 5's site). These textures are TOTALLY redone, unlike the Viggen texture's which were just mods to bring them close to minimal SF standards as I didn't have the time/inclination to spend/waste on the Viggen.

In fact it was my idea that the Team get a Viggen out as The Community really wanted one - it constantly rated in the "Top Three Most Wanted Aircraft". So capun purchased yours so he and the rest of the Team could spend many hours modding it for The SF Community. For FREE.

And some other projects that I personally wanted much more were put back so the Viggen could be done. And despite the animosity that this mod has brought forth from some lesser lights I don't regret having been involved in it.

Anyway I spent the whole day making Land Rover textures (of all things!) for the upcoming Falklands Mod, and sometimes I wonder if it's all worth it. And on balance I think it is. The SF Communities' Kung Fu is strong, despite certain rogue elements, so let's all enjoy the benefit of all our hard work.

Cheers

Gramps

The Viggen texture you downloaded from my site and modified is something you should have asked before copying it and redistributing it - I usually say yes to such requests.

The Viggen is already released so there's no point in doing anything about that and I'm glad that the community now has one of its most wanted aircrafts.

It is not OK for you to redistribute the Ki84 mesh but since you already started I'm not going to be an ass and ask you to stop. Go ahead and finish the Ki84. The only thing I ask for is to be properly credited and notified when it is released. After that no more.

EDIT: Jeez I'm seeing the Viggen all over the Web. Even the mistakes in my texture have been ripped.

You are _not_ allowed to redistribute the KI84 mesh.

I too offer a lot of free models and resources to various communities from my site but what is free and what is not is my choice.

Edited by bazze

Guest Charles

Anders:

I don't want this discussion to get out of hand, but now I am really puzzled. Your licence does not "basically say use it as you wish as long as you don't redistribute it in any form".

In fact, to use the words of your licence, "When you purchase a model from the store you get a personal non-exlusive license to use the model as you wish (both personal and commercial projects)".

You seem to be saying that a customer can use a model as he wishes, including for a commercial project, but only so long as he doesn't distribute it without your permission. It is a bit difficult to see how something could be a commercial project without distributing it to customers. If you only mean to allow people who buy your models to use them for their own private use, I suggest that your licence make this clear.

And if you don't want customers to use skins you have made, I suggest you don't package them and sell them with your model. The Viggen model is advertised as "UV-mapped and textured, and with jpg textures". It is hardly surprising that someone who has bought one of your models, with its textures, might want to use them.

Having said that, the Viggen is a great model, and a great addition to Strike Fighters, as the huge number of downloads testifies. Your authorship of the model has always been fully acknowledged, and I hope we can move on happily together from here.

I'm no legal expert so I'm using a license text used by a big brokerage of 3D models.

The thing is that it is OK to use the models in renders and animations and publish these as you wish. The only thing that is not allowed is to redistribute the mesh (=the source). This is stated in legal mumbo jumbo in the license file but I guess I will have to completent the legal text to make it clearer.

Example:

(1) The Viggen was purchased by an agency using it in a TV-commercial . This is totally OK!

(2) John Doe buys a copy of the Viggen, makes renders and sell the prints.

This is totally OK!

(3) The Viggen is purchased by somebody who converts it and distributes it to thousands of people.

This is not OK

I don't wish for a legal discussion but I will complement the license file with examples in the future.

And here's an extract from the license file if anybody is interested:

LICENSE FOR ITEMS PURCHASED THROUGH WWW.COLACOLA.SE

This license only applies to items purchased through www.colacola.se. It is the Buyers responsibility to read and understand this license.

The Artist (Author) retains all copyrights to the enclosed materials. The Buyer is not purchasing the contents, only the right to use the contents. The Buyer may not redistribute this archive file, in whole or in part. The Buyer may not store it any place on a network or on the Internet where it may be referenced by a third party. Buyer acquires the copyright to any derivative works created using this work, provided none of the original materials can be extracted from the derivative work by any means. If Artist can show that any of the original material can be extracted from Buyer's derivative work, Artist can demand both the original and derivative work, and all copies thereof be deleted. For example, Buyer cannot make an image of a texture map mapped to a flat plane, such that the original texture map can be cut & pasted from the image. This is designed to protect the Artist from Buyers releasing work, which lets other users obtain the copyrighted material, and is not meant to infringe upon the artistic endeavors of the Buyer. Buyer may not make any MetaStream animation files with the enclosed materials, until this format can protect the original materials from being extracted. Items sold at www.colacola.se may not be used for illegal purposes.

Edited by bazze

Think this just about sums it up guys....for the SECOND time.