Sign in to follow this  
flybynight

wov graphics problem

ok so i have my dx9 and all drivers current . but i only see the top left portion of the game . any ideas . brand new pc . i have uninstalled and reinstalled the game .

sorry, no.

might help to list what type of gfx card etc.

sorry, no.

might help to list what type of gfx card etc.

Yeah too true! There are no graphic issues with the sim, it is one of the most stable and friendly out there. Therefore, you almost certainly have a hardware problem. Therefore, have you tested for this effect on other programs?

This kind of thing is very frustrating, I sympathize. But as Buff points out, for anyone to realistically help you on a forum they will need to see a proper detailed list of your system components – The type and make of CPU, Motherboard, available RAM, power supply, graphics card, operating system.

Then, in the event of weird hardware glitches other users might recognize a particular issue and in other cases, cleverer geeks than me often spot the answer.

sorry bout that heres what belarc had to say:................................................... Operating System System Model

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600) Gateway GT5032

Enclosure Type: Desktop

Processor a Main Circuit Board b

2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core

256 kilobyte primary memory cache

1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: C51MCP51

Serial Number: UYFH60207991

Bus Clock: 200 megahertz

BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 12/05/2005

Drives Memory Modules c,d

250.05 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

234.89 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

PHILIPS DROM6216 [CD-ROM drive]

TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552D [CD-ROM drive]

WDC WD2500BB-00GUC0 [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WMAL73179887, rev 08.02D08, SMART Status: Healthy 896 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 512 MB

Slot 'A1' has 512 MB

Slot 'A2' is Empty

Slot 'A3' is Empty

Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 250.05 GB 234.89 GB free

Network Drives

None detected Controllers Display

NVIDIA nForce 430/410 Serial ATA Controller

Primary IDE Channel [Controller]

Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]

Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller NVIDIA GeForce 6100 [Display adapter]

Gateway FPD2185W [Monitor] (20.9"vis, s/n V62 50N 14001, February 2006)

Bus Adapters Multimedia

Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller

Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller ATI Unified AVStream Driver

Realtek AC'97 Audio

Communications Other Devices

PCI Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP

1394 Net Adapter

NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

primary Auto IP Address: 192.168.1.100 / 24

Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Dhcp Server: 192.168.1.1

Physical Address: 00:15:58:0E:6A:A0

Networking Dns Server: 208.67.222.222

Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

USB Human Interface Device (2x)

Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

HID-compliant mouse

NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator

PDI Kernel Ports Device Driver

Generic USB Hub

USB Mass Storage Device

USB Root Hub (2x).......................................i also noticed that my other games are doing similar things but some of them i can run with 256 color and the older games i can run in 98 /95 compatibilty . but the newer ones have problems . my pc should handle these games tho. heeelp!

Edited by flybynight

Guest Sony Tuckson

Sadly enough, you don't provide any information about the video card...

But reading the informations provided, it looks to me you have an integrated video system using 128 Mb of shared memory (meaning, out of your 1024 system RAM, you loose 128 only avbl for video purposes..)

Leading me to think you will in all cases have quite poor performances, even with a quite powerfull cpu installed.

First, check back if video drivers are installed as limitation to 256 colours are 99% of the time linked to video drivers not being installed.....

Then, in game check video options...especially aspect ratio (if you use a 17" or 19" flat screen this should be 5:4)

And the best at the end, if you really want to enjoy games, buy a real video card to add on this board, you'll then really get what the cpu is able to provide, as now it's really restricted

What Sony says. You can try new drivers. How much onboard RAM do you have? My dad's laptop uses a similar ATi integrated chipset and after I upgraded him to 1GB of RAM, his video works pretty well. He can actually play some games reasonably well at 1024x768.

Edited by streakeagle

Definately follow the advice here, and if you're running on a pc, then go for a dedicated card. That being said, I run this sim on a mid to low (by today's standards) range laptop with an Intel (EEK!) shared video chip, and it runs just fine, just a few slow downs when everything (including water) is maxed out. If you can't get a dedicated card for some reason, make sure you update your video chip drivers to the latest available, as mentioned here. Just be aware that sometimes, like my computer, you can't use the native drivers downloaded directly from the chip manufacturer, you have to use the version you find at your pc manufacturer's site. Check first to see which will work for you. For some reason Intel's site told me not to use theirs, but update from Dell. You might run into the same issue with your shared chip. Also, be certain you're running DirectX 9.0c from at least April '06 or later. Earlier versions won't work. Hope this helps.

Guest Sony Tuckson

I re read the post and saw it was a gforce 6100 chipset...

so it's indeed onboard video, giving rather poor perfromance, but still able to display to game at lower settings anyway

so check the aspect ratio setting from within the game

and as other games tend to show problems, reinstall video drivers and after that the latest Direct X version (released this month)

thanx for all the help guys . yes it is a g/f 6100 . i will try to adjust th esettings in the game but it will be difficult since i only see the top left portion of it and my screen is a 20 inch so 5:1 sounds like a good deal too. any suggestions on a good video card as i am somewhat ignorant to this type of thing?

Guest Sony Tuckson

what resolution is it expected to show?

Usually flat screens run best at only one resolution.

Is it a wide screen or a square like ? as this affects logically the aspect ratio setting ;)

now as for the choice of a video card, it mainly depends on the budget available...

then, the classical fight starts between ATI and Nvidia supporters...

if you can't even access the options menu, try adapting the parameters through the options.ini file located in the game main directory

third section in this file is [GraphicsOptions]

adapt DisplayWidth=

DisplayHeight=

values to reflect the resolution your screen is ready for (e.g 1600*1050 or anything else, not sure about 20" screens)

then, calculate the ratio and adapt the AspectRatio= line

divide width by height to get this value

Edited by Sony Tuckson

it is a widescreen 20" this panel was part of a package deal . but i added on later . it is a gateway monitor with HD and the stand lets me rotate , lower and raise on different directions . something else i forgot to mention earlier . it came with a program called EZtune . it allows me to run a wizard for best screen resolution and also when i turn my screen 90 degrees it will turn whatever is displayed 90 degrees also . but i turn off this feature when gamming simply because it would be easier to diagnose problems without it . . going to try some of the earlier advice from above .

OH YEAH WERE IN BUISNESS NOW !!!!! the aspect ratio was sett to 1:333333 . and after lookin at my option for my screen i saw panoramic , wide and 1:1 . so i set the AR in the game to 1:133333 and all is well . perfect resolution and very clear . game play didi not suffer . thanx alot for the help

I'm having same problem but I dont have a 20" wide screen, instead I have an 17" regular screen from dell. I have followed the instructions but they dont work. this is my third time installing this game on this computer and I've never had this problem before.