Sign in to follow this  
ezlead

First Eagles

I downloaded First Eagles this morning.

I just spent the last hour flying single missions. I crashed and burned 4 times,I made it through the last mission but lost half the squadron.

In my opinion TK has hit another out of the park homer.

You have to FLY in this sim. No more light the burner and plow your way out of trouble.

It's nice to be able to lock someone up and hose them from 6 miles away,but in this sim you have to get in close and score hits.

The mods coming up should be fantastic.

I say to everyone "Get this sim and try it out it's really fun." :clapping:

Yes its white of the eyes stuff, have to get real close to hit and ammo usage needs to be conserved.

Down loaded the Gotha and played the included mission got bounced by spads but kept going and bombed the target awsome

DL'd Eagles about 2 hrs ago. Fired up a Spad, got into a low alt. "furball" with some Albatri.

Forced one down, tagged a 2nd and a possible on a 3rd. Made it "Home" in one piece!

Every thing in the game looks great and functions well, your basic "Load And Go" situation.

One disapointment tho', the AI's wander around like a bunch of damned drunks.

Despite the above mentioned "squawk", TK and his crew have produced a winner.

If you are a WWI nut, get Eagles, it's worth the price of admission.

Bwf. :good:

As I said at Thirdwire's Forum:

If you are considering a WWI Flight sim, get this game.

Stayed up until 1 am flying as my hero Captain Eddie Rickenbacker last night. Yawwwn. :sleep:

Now I can take on my old monikers such as "Waldo Pepper" or "Ernst Kessler", the possibilities are just endless. I have been like a kid (or in my case an older balding guy) at Christmas waiting for this game to be released.

:tongue:

Only been since RB since I have took on a WWI sim. Once again, Kudos to TK and his crew at Third Wire for working on this one. I will continue to be loyal supporter of their products. :fan_1:

As I said at Thirdwire's Forum:

If you are considering a WWI Flight sim, get this game.

Stayed up until 1 am flying as my hero Captain Eddie Rickenbacker last night. Yawwwn. :sleep:

Now I can take on my old monikers such as "Waldo Pepper" or "Ernst Kessler", the possibilities are just endless. I have been like a kid (or in my case an older balding guy) at Christmas waiting for this game to be released.

:tongue:

Only been since RB since I have took on a WWI sim. Once again, Kudos to TK and his crew at Third Wire for working on this one. I will continue to be loyal supporter of their products. :fan_1:

I just wanted to ask some people who have First Eagles. How much better is the game engine from WOE? Is the AI smarter? Is it the same as the other games in the series, as far as being modified?

Scrapper

>Is the AI smarter?

Not noticably?

>Is it the same as the other games in the series, as far as being modified?

Yes

Good fun, a few bugs, worth the price.

Cheers,

Keith

Guest IndioBlack
I just wanted to ask some people who have First Eagles. How much better is the game engine from WOE? Is the AI smarter? Is it the same as the other games in the series, as far as being modified?

Scrapper

Personally, I don't think the AI is any smarter. On hard settings, they may sometimes attempt to come at you, but they don't seem to want to shoot bullets. You can be a double Ace in a single mission if they send enough planes at you.

However, just try the add-on Gotha and the Gotha missions. You get a bloody nose going up against those gun-bristling monsters.

Personally, I don't think the AI is any smarter. On hard settings, they may sometimes attempt to come at you, but they don't seem to want to shoot bullets. You can be a double Ace in a single mission if they send enough planes at you.

However, just try the add-on Gotha and the Gotha missions. You get a bloody nose going up against those gun-bristling monsters.

Yeah, I went up against a gaggle of Gothas, and got shot in the face. Now I jump them from above.

Awsome game. I am glad that I downloaded it.

Scrapper

... Down loaded the Gotha and played the included mission ...

Hello all,

I've had FE for a few days now and love it. I'm a complete newbie to sims and sim forums (man you guys use a lot of jargon!) and in fact to all computer games. However, I've been sort of active on the Thirdwire forum to pick up hints, tips, and follow the news/opinions on how FE is shaping. Thats how I found out about this forum...

SO, I'm surprised to read about a downloadable Gotha with missions!!! Did I miss something?

WHERE IS THE GOTHA DOWNLOAD PLEASE??? I want it, I want it, I want it! :crazy:

Thanks for any assistance

Edited by B Bandy RFC

Try the download section for WWI planes.

Try the download section for WWI planes.

Duh-Oh!!! Thanks, I just realized that, and literally just finished the download, and wanted to get back to edit my earlier post... hey, what can I say, I'm new here...

Thanks!

Guest IndioBlack
hey, what can I say, I'm new here...

I'm sure everyone wishes you a warm welcome.

hey, what can I say, I'm new here...

Welcome to Combatace you'll find that this is one of the best places for info around.

Hello everyone. This is my first post here. What a great community you have.

I really love this game.

Lt Bruno Stachel has had no successes in his Fokker so far, but he's still hopeful.

I have a newb question.

Does your squadron always follow you?

Hello MajorDickBong and welcome to CombatACE. Yes, it is a great sim. I'm not sure about my squadron mates sometimes. They do get the occasional kill. TK said some of the old radio comm keys (keyboard TAB) work for squad commands (we'll have to assume they are hand signals 'cause they didn't have radios) :ok: . To tell you the truth I've not played with that aspect of the sim yet. Certainly worth a try. I'd be interested in the results. :smile:

congratulations on a great sim.. i'm not an ace pilot but have played Red Baron and many other non jet combat flight sims and this is the first sim to make survival a key issue... even on easier settings i have been unable to survive beyond 2 campaign patrols lol!!

the enemy aircraft are a little fragile so a good burst will have them falling to bits mid air BUT they can do the same to you just as quickly so even tho i can easily rack up an impressive kill tally in one mission it is unlikely that taking so many chances will get me thru an entire campaign...i'm no slouch but as i say i haven't been able to survive beyond 2 patrols ..yikes..

as an aside im working on a mod to perhaps make all the aircraft a little less likely to explode and a little tougher when it comes to taking damage...with the idea that this will balance out making the player aircraft tougher to shoot down less likely to ep,lode etc etc..but allso do the same for the enemy and other AI pilots..

mainly because i like to go along for the ride in games like this...creat a storyline in my head and so on...and getting killed so early on makes this a prefunctory affair!..mind you have to say that i may be using the wrong tactics..if i take a kill and bug out back to the aerodrome this would no doubt be a good survival tactic...interesting that this is an approach that is worth considering!!

dunno about any-one else but IMO FE is pretty hard-core..no complaints from me on that score..makes a decent change and a decent challenge (for a change!) and the moddability makes customising it to personal desires relatively easy..

has any one noticed wether the AI pilots in your squadron improve over time???

judge-ing from the stats in the roster room this looks possible??

this would be a VERY nice feature if it happens..i can't stay alive long enough to find out!

Guest IndioBlack
congratulations on a great sim.. i'm not an ace pilot but have played Red Baron and many other non jet combat flight sims and this is the first sim to make survival a key issue... even on easier settings i have been unable to survive beyond 2 campaign patrols lol!!

What enemy skill setting are you using ?

I've got it set on hard and in one campaign mission I got 15 kills which made me a three-times ace.

I don't consider myself a great combat pilot, but the Sim does make me look good.

I'm flying the Se5, and the Germans seem reluctant to fire a shot at me, although they do seem quite skilled at changing direction and being a little evasive. The only real danger is the two seaters, but the rear gunner rarely gets a short burst at me before I've shot him up. Certainly the gunners on the third party Gotha are much more aggressive, and a team of them will get me every time.

Is it possible the hard and easy settings are mixed up, because I'd really like a little more of a challenge?

.... I don't consider myself a great combat pilot, but the Sim does make me look good. ...

Hello Indio,

Me thinks you've got a talent for understating your talent here, hope I don't ever go up against you online!!! :this:

I moved up to normal enemy (hopefully after toughening up my green wings a bit...) and still find it a good challenge, especially after modding the Alb and Fokker INIs to get rid of the landing gear drag. [Hmmm, the lingo just kind of grows on you, doesn't it!?!]. Agree with you on the Gotha's, I go at 'em from below in a fast vertical zoom, but watch out for those loose bombs when that beast falls apart...

I flew the newest Fokker for the first time last night, set a quicky intercept mission, and turned to see who was with me... The whole bloody jasta must have come!!! How they all got into the air and in formation at once was impossible [should have taken a screen shot, have been saying that alot lately...]. There was over a dozen of us, vs. at least as many Spads and SE5s... I had never flown in anything like that... That Fokker is an amazing plane, much more agile than any Allied bird, climbs like a rocket too. I got an SE5 quickly before being jumped on by multiples (my own fault), and going to Valhalla.

ANYWAYS, my point is, I find the missions to be very unpredictable wrt who will be in the sky. I do an army co-op sortie, set enemy air activity to heavy, and then can fly for 15 min or more and not see a d__ thing after my bombing run!!! This has happened over and over and over again. I end up going after the balloons [which should have much more ack-ack around them from what I've read, only the most brave went for them...] for want of something to shoot at, ... Maybe its the game AI...

Anyone with similar experiences???

What enemy skill setting are you using ?

I've got it set on hard and in one campaign mission I got 15 kills which made me a three-times ace.

I don't consider myself a great combat pilot, but the Sim does make me look good.

I'm flying the Se5, and the Germans seem reluctant to fire a shot at me, although they do seem quite skilled at changing direction and being a little evasive. The only real danger is the two seaters, but the rear gunner rarely gets a short burst at me before I've shot him up. Certainly the gunners on the third party Gotha are much more aggressive, and a team of them will get me every time.

Is it possible the hard and easy settings are mixed up, because I'd really like a little more of a challenge?

he he! it's not the shooting them down that gets me i can knock them down like ten pins..but actually surviving right thru a campaign patrol seems to be tough...flak is a nightmare boom your gone...some stray bullet or fragment of scrapnell allways seems to blow my fuel tank...this is on easy settings for the campaign (and harder settings on the other options...flight simulation enemy AI etc etc...except targeting)

what i'm doing is customising a set of files to try to make all the aircraft less likely to explode..(including mine)

and hoping to stretch out the combat a little..requiring me to get make several decent attacks before the enemy goes down as it is one burst and boom their dead..(too easy and predictable)

on the other things

re BRANDYS point ..i'm kinda a fan of having to search for targets....(been playing submarine sims for a while now and really enjoy the hunt...)

so i don't use the HUD at all and have to find the targets by looking around my self....the map is a give away tho as it shows the enemy planes ..but i'm going to replace the icon for the enemy aircraft with a transparent one so no enemy aircraft show on the map...

then i can patrol with some tension surrounding being bounced by enemy fighter if i don't keep my eyes peeled ...a good example of this just actualy happened in my last patrol...i was wandering up and down the front...looking for the enemy ...after about ten minutes i checked the map and lo and behold it showed an enemy fighter right behind me...so i closed the map and scanned the view round and bingo he was right on my tail...a second or two later and i would have been cat food.. now i want to be able to look at the map without getting that help!!

on the other side tho i am trying to set the pilot animation up so he allways looks at enemy aircraft (if possible ) there does seem to be the option in the files...that way i can keep a close eye on my pilots head to see if he is consistently glancing in one direction...LOL good roleplaying stuff ..(i can build a sense of affinity with my pilot as it were, can rely on him to help me out ..adds a bit of interaction between me and the animated pilot..)

i hope in the end that all this will level the playing field between me and the AI pilots so when i check the roster screen i don't find that i'm getting 5 plus kills a patrol and all the other pilots are getting nil or a very occasional one other than ground targets perhaps..

i just wish the animated pilot would stick his arm out of the cockpit and point !!

re BRANDYS point ..i'm kinda a fan of having to search for targets....(been playing submarine sims for a while now and really enjoy the hunt...)

so i don't use the HUD at all and have to find the targets by looking around my self....the map is a give away tho as it shows the enemy planes ..but i'm going to replace the icon for the enemy aircraft with a transparent one so no enemy aircraft show on the map...

If you extract the mission control.ini and scroll down to the bottom you will see this section:

[Map]

MapIconSize=32

FriendlyIcon=//MapFriendlyIcon.tga...........insert a double slash as shown and the icons won't be there.

EnemyIcon=//MapEnemyIcon.tga

FriendlyRunwayIcon=MapFriendlyRunwayIcon.tga

EnemyRunwayIcon=MapEnemyRunwayIcon.tga

RadarIcon=MapRadarIcon.tga

WaypointIconSize=16

WaypointIcon=MapWaypointIcon.tga

IPIcon=MapIPIcon.tga

TargetIcon=MapTargetIcon.tga

WaypointLineColor=0.914,0.777,0.230

GridLineColor=0.0,0.0,0.0

GridTextColor=0.0,0.0,0.0

MinorGridLineColor=0.0,0.0,0.0,0.8

MinorGridTextColor=0.0,0.0,0.0,0.4

TextFontName=Arial

TextSize=12

The MissionControl.ini can be found in the Flight Folder, MissionData.cat file. After the mod, just put the new MissionControl.ini in the flight folder, leaving it outside of any other folders. Regards.

If you extract the mission control.ini and scroll down to the bottom you will see this section:

[Map]

MapIconSize=32

FriendlyIcon=//MapFriendlyIcon.tga...........insert a double slash as shown and the icons won't be there.

EnemyIcon=//MapEnemyIcon.tga

FriendlyRunwayIcon=MapFriendlyRunwayIcon.tga

EnemyRunwayIcon=MapEnemyRunwayIcon.tga

RadarIcon=MapRadarIcon.tga

WaypointIconSize=16

WaypointIcon=MapWaypointIcon.tga

IPIcon=MapIPIcon.tga

TargetIcon=MapTargetIcon.tga

WaypointLineColor=0.914,0.777,0.230

GridLineColor=0.0,0.0,0.0

GridTextColor=0.0,0.0,0.0

MinorGridLineColor=0.0,0.0,0.0,0.8

MinorGridTextColor=0.0,0.0,0.0,0.4

TextFontName=Arial

TextSize=12

The MissionControl.ini can be found in the Flight Folder, MissionData.cat file. After the mod, just put the new MissionControl.ini in the flight folder, leaving it outside of any other folders. Regards.

many thanks i didn't realise you could do that...

what i ended up doing was this

MapIconSize=1

which meant all the icons became so small they were invisible!! ..

not ideal..

didn't know i could slash out the reference like that..many thanks again..