Sign in to follow this  
tank03

I'm thinking of getting a new stick

I think it's time I update to a new stick and throttle combo. Right now I'm just using a stick with the little built in throttle lever. It does the job, but I know my reaction times could be better if I had a dedicated throttle with a plethora of switches/options/etc.

Anyway, I'm considering the Saitek x-52, mainly because it comes with the two controllers and seems reasonably priced.

Does anyone have any experience using this with WOV? Are there any other controllers I should consider? Price is the the biggest factor, as I don't have much cash to spend on frivolous toys, and there really is nothing wrong with what I have now.

Edited by tank03

well your choices for a combo will probably be

TM Afterburner II - cheap if you can find 1, does the job OK but ultimately the most limited in programming

Saitek of some sort - X45/X52/X52 Pro - more programmable than the AB II but not as much as the CH/Cougar

CH products - very reliable, extremely programmable,

TM Cougar - feels good (metal), extremely programmable, may not be the most reliable

Having handled all 4 I would say that you can probably narrow it down to the Saitek & CH choices.

Imo CH probably have the better stick but Saitek have the better throttle :rolleyes:

As you're in the US there may not be a massive difference in price between an X52 Pro & a CH setup but an X52 would probably come in well under that.

well your choices for a combo will probably be

TM Afterburner II - cheap if you can find 1, does the job OK but ultimately the most limited in programming

Saitek of some sort - X45/X52/X52 Pro - more programmable than the AB II but not as much as the CH/Cougar

CH products - very reliable, extremely programmable,

TM Cougar - feels good (metal), extremely programmable, may not be the most reliable

Having handled all 4 I would say that you can probably narrow it down to the Saitek & CH choices.

Imo CH probably have the better stick but Saitek have the better throttle :rolleyes:

As you're in the US there may not be a massive difference in price between an X52 Pro & a CH setup but an X52 would probably come in well under that.

Thanks for the input. I'm glad to get some feedback from someone who's used the stuff. If you go by the manufacturer's own write-up, you'd think each was the best thing since sliced bread.

Now I just have to justify it with the wife. Should be fun.

my vote is for the X52 - awesome! especially with WoV. I used to use microsofts forcefeedback sidewinder. the x52 is so much better! (although i miss the FF feature) let me know if you get one, I'll send you my WoV profile. beautifull joystick! hardly use the keyboard at all! only thing i use the keyboard for is autopilot, next waypoint (CTRL+N), and time compression (CTRL+T) i dont think the x52 pro is worth the money, though...

i dont think the x52 pro is worth the money, though...

that's always going to be subjective - those that have them seem to think that they are quite an improvement on the standard X52.

Saitek have a new driver release due next week & it may also coincide with some more options in their programming software.

Hey tank03 ...

I have a Saitek X52 I'm tryin' to sell on here and have been for about 2 weeks now ...

If ya interested in that let me know ... it's in great shape and will come with the manual,CD and original box .

The reason I have to sell is that it takes up WAY to much space in my " Cock-Pit " and I wanna get a Ovation guitar!

Let me know if you're interested in !

If ya worried about my credibility just ask Dagger on here ... I'm fair and good to go ;)

Edited by Showtime_100

Hey tank03 ...

I have a Saitek X52 I'm tryin' to sell on here and have been for about 2 weeks now ...

If ya interested in that let me know ... it's in great shape and will come with the manual,CD and original box .

The reason I have to sell is that it takes up WAY to much space in my " Cock-Pit " and I wanna get a Ovation guitar!

Let me know if you're interested in !

If ya worried about my credibility just ask Dagger on here ... I'm fair and good to go ;)

I've sent you a PM regarding the Saitek offer. I can understand wanting an Ovation. They are a really sweet guitar. Several yeras ago I sold all of my ski equipment so I could get a new guitar. It was well worth it. I don't fall on my ass nearly as much with the guitar (a few pints excepting) as I did with the skis.

LOL ...

I have 2 electrics and have been wantin' an acoustic and that acoustic a Ovation

I have a friend that has one and it plays and sounds SOOOOOOO good :good:

I got your IM and sent a reply :grin:

Edited by Showtime_100

Guest 531_Ghost
You cant go wrong with Ch products!!

No, no you can't :grin: But, if you want the scoop on ALL things HOTAS CLICK HERE :blink:

I've not tried the X52 so can't comment on that though I have owned a Cougar. My experience of the Cougar was a very bad one, so bad it really killed my enthusiasm to go and play sims as the HOTAS kept letting me down and it just became too frustrating. As the failures were mainly down to the electronics I did'nt want to throw good money after bad and mod one if it was going to let me down again so I sold the fourth Cougar and bought a CH Fighterstick and Pro Throttle to go with my Pro Pedals and Flight Sim Yoke. I'm still using them three years on with no issues and they feel good as new. Programming is easy using the Control Manager software, its a straightforward GUI but if you want to take it further you can program buttons do to all manner of things using CH's powerful CMS scripting language. CH's support is well known in the flight sim groups for being among the best there is and their programming software is constantly being updated by Bob Church with new features and support for new OS's like Windows XP 64 Bit and later Vista. My sim controller setup has expanded somewhat over the years to add a Throttle Quadrant and the new Multi Function Panel but adding new controllers to existing maps is no problem at all using the Control Manager software.