Sign in to follow this  
Monty CZ

Nieuport 17

Hello all,

small update of the model

UVW mapping completed, I am working on textures

(second half of the plane will be cloned after animations)

post-255-1170590981_thumb.jpg

We are all, I am sure, looking forward to this plane Monty; keep after it pal! :):):)

ok after todays work it looks different...dont know if I am satisfied :-)

post-255-1170617613_thumb.jpg

post-255-1170617623_thumb.jpg

Hi Monty, good looking N17 there :D

But, to my humble knowledge.

The ailerons do not have rounded of tips like the N24 ailerons, the edges are a little more sharper.

And I dont think the N17 have a Lewis machinegun on the top wing (Not to my knowledge.) Maybe

With a few rare exeptions. I don`t mean to be rude or anything. And please do correct me if I am wrong.

Again, nice looking kite which is coming along VERY nice! :D

Salute!

RvH

Hi Monty, good looking N17 there :D

But, to my humble knowledge.

The ailerons do not have rounded of tips like the N24 ailerons, the edges are a little more sharper.

And I dont think the N17 have a Lewis machinegun on the top wing (Not to my knowledge.) Maybe

With a few rare exeptions. I don`t mean to be rude or anything. And please do correct me if I am wrong.

Again, nice looking kite which is coming along VERY nice! :D

Salute!

RvH

Looking VERY good Monty, WOW! The 17 had a Lewis mounted on the top wing at first, but it

was then later replaced or augmented by a mechanically synchronized Vickers fitted centrally

in front of the pilot or offset slightly to starboard (Combat Aircraft Of The 1914-1918 War, page 94 paragraph 3).

I always thought that this aircraft had either a Lewis or a Vickers, but not both at once. You

really do learn something new everyday!

:biggrin:

Edited by MrCraig41

All N17 machines flown by the RFC had Lewis guns, not Vickers guns. Only French units kept the Vickers guns in place. Some machines flown by French or American pilots had one of each.

nieup_lewis.jpg

Monty

Great Model :smile: Can't wait for the finished product.

Edward

Thanks for all yours suggestions,

RvH I used THIS as a refference,

do you realy think that ailerons are too rounded ? Maybe I will touch them gently:-)

Armament:

Plane will be released only with wickers, lewis will be enabled as a gun pod.

I have Le Prieur rockets prepared (modeled) but no luck to make them working in the game,

could anybody help here? (N11 needs teeth)

Guest capun

Monty

Bunyap has the rockets in-game already, check with him.

EmlD told me the N24 aileron tips were round compared to the ones on N17, and this far the ailerons on your N17 looks much like the ones on the N24.

It is not a big deal either. Last time I spoke with EmlD, he was considering the N17 with a Vickers slightly to the Starboard as well.

Now that you are working on a N17, and progressed far with it too, I am not sure what EmlD has decided. But point is, the MG`s

Whether or not you include Lewis gun and put the Vickers on the starboard, does not matter to me, I just seem to remember, the only reference of which I actually saw a Lewis on the N17 (as well as a starboard Vickers.) Was in Flyboys. So I took it with a spoon of salt (And even when being careful, I can do mistakes, as showed in this topic :P .)

Anyways, back then I was thinking, but not saying loud, EmlD could do the Flyboys looking Nieuport`s, and you could do the real thing. Now that I see all of theese Nieuport 17`s with many different versions, I just came to the conclusion It really doesn`t matter, would be cool with a round front sight with cross and a tube in the middle of the cross, and the rear sight is the "box" with the cylinder on top. As seen in EmlD`s N24. I really liked that sight, could aim and shoot pretty good :P .

Anyways, just mere suggestions and wild thoughts Came to this big misunderstanding, next time WW1 airplane history is coming in topic, I won`t comment it without further evidence..

S!

RvH

Hi Monty, N17 looks very good... and you are a great texture creator! It looks really professional.

EmlD told me the N24 aileron tips were round compared to the ones on N17, and this far the ailerons on your N17 looks much like the ones on the N24.

RVH, i am sure now, we have spoken about differences between N24 and N24bis....we had spoken not about ailerons but about RUDDER. The big rounded rudder as N28 had the N24. And the N17 name came by comparing the N24bis rudder with N17's....I am also sure, that my English brought to this misunderstanding with ailerons (rounded up and ...... )

EmlD :blush::biggrin:

Hi Monty, N17 looks very good... and you are a great texture creator! It looks really professional.

RVH, i am sure now, we have spoken about differences between N24 and N24bis....we had spoken not about ailerons but about RUDDER. The big rounded rudder as N28 had the N24. And the N17 name came by comparing the N24bis rudder with N17's....I am also sure, that my English brought to this misunderstanding with ailerons (rounded up and ...... )

EmlD :blush::biggrin:

I will be happy to provide scale plans for each variant of the Nieuport series for any modeler who needs them, along with a short explanation of the visible differences between the types. Just send me a private message with your email address.

The position of the Vickers gun is not the same for the 17 as for the later types. Different synchronization gear was used on later types, which required the relocation of the gun to the right. On the 17 it was centered.

Ailerons changed from straight trailing edge to curved between the 17bis model and the 23bis. Both N24 and N24bis had rounded trailing edges on the ailerons. N17bis had the same wings and tail as the 17, but used the fuselage of the 24, with a shorter engine cowling.

I will be happy to provide scale plans for each variant of the Nieuport series for any modeler who needs them, along with a short explanation of the visible differences between the types. Just send me a private message with your email address.

The position of the Vickers gun is not the same for the 17 as for the later types. Different synchronization gear was used on later types, which required the relocation of the gun to the right. On the 17 it was centered.

Ailerons changed from straight trailing edge to curved between the 17bis model and the 23bis. Both N24 and N24bis had rounded trailing edges on the ailerons. N17bis had the same wings and tail as the 17, but used the fuselage of the 24, with a shorter engine cowling.

Ok it looks like I am finished for now, thanx RvH - wingtips are a little bit sharpened.

Maybe my english is not good enough but vickers stay on center - my work is based on historical refferences.

What you see is done with 4500 polys and 4 textures 512x512pix

tomorow I´ll send files ready for FM and next pictures would be from game

post-255-1170716605_thumb.jpg

post-255-1170716625_thumb.jpg

sfabert could you check those pictures and your reference - maybe I dont have good plans.

Edited by Monty CZ

sfabert could you check those pictures and your reference - maybe I dont have good plans.

Your model looks very good, an excellent French N17. Any changes to the wingtips would be minor, but I will gladly send you a set of plans if you give me an email address.

From an overall perspective, that is looking quite stellar! :clapping:

Getting closed to finishing, eh? Hmmm....

Monty CZ...

You are getting sleepy...

Veeerrryy veeeerrryy sleeeepyyyy.......

Walfisch.jpg

LOL! :grin: Now that's what we need - more two-seaters! This

particular one is a good choice, JFM.

Craigster

Walfisch.jpg

:rofl::rofl::rofl: .......... :sleep: zzzzzzzzz

Hello all,

here is some update - ingame screenshots

and today I started with cockpit (I dont like to model cockpits:-) )

post-255-1171469386_thumb.jpg

post-255-1171469415_thumb.jpg

post-255-1171469438_thumb.jpg

post-255-1171469461_thumb.jpg

Monty

She's simply amazing Monty :clapping: Can't wait to take her for a spin

and give the Albatrosses a good wholloping. As an interim, I've been

altering the N24s data.ini to mimic the 17 just to appease my anticipation!