Yeah but my sinkrate was to high (probably because of that), but when I do that the tailplanes give me a nasty noseup attitude that makes it real difficult, i.e. I'm fighting the plane to get a little bit nosedown. I go full flaps in LOMAC and I get very few bolters, but this is maybe because of lack of real experience with this FM vs. LOMAC...

An no Typhoid... not that bad... more or less I clipped the gear off, so if I had to land I would have skidded on deck..

Yeah but my sinkrate was to high (probably because of that), but when I do that the tailplanes give me a nasty noseup attitude that makes it real difficult, i.e. I'm fighting the plane to get a little bit nosedown. I go full flaps in LOMAC and I get very few bolters, but this is maybe because of lack of real experience with this FM vs. LOMAC...

An no Typhoid... not that bad... more or less I clipped the gear off, so if I had to land I would have skidded on deck..

the dreaded barrier engagement.....

coming in to a trap you have to have the gear and full flaps (not the speed brakes but you can use that too) and then you control your rate of descent with POWER.

you won't be landing with power off!!! more like 1/3 throttle or higher in close.

also, since the sim doesn't work the wind angle correctly for the carrier into the wind, once you are on centerline and able to track the line up correctly I've found that aiming for the notch between the angle the axial is just about right.

And the notch is where?

Sorry to push this off topic a little...

I also d/l the Task Force 1, with the Big E, but I seem to be missing some tetures, the island/SH-3/ and elevators are white?

Also, are the cruisers landable?

The CVAN-65 should have all the textures, try downloading again. (I've noticed it's gone at Capun's site, but still available here. The one here works fine for me.)

Cruisers should be landable if they have catapults, and if the LOD is designed to have a helo on it. I think it needs a collision mesh, but I'm not a 3D modeler. AFAIK, the only landable cruisers is the helo landable version of the Perry.

I like to line up with the "meatball" (Improved Fresnel Lens Optical Landing System), the set of lights that (on real carriers) guide the aircraft down. Unfortunatley, this isn't modeled. I'm not sure if this is realistic or not, since the carrier's angle is wrong during landing. I'd also like to know where the notch is.

As for the pic... Ouch. Did it damage the carrier at all?

"Cruisers should be landable if they have catapults, "

catapults on cruisers? not since WWII. The CG and BB I sailed on for 2 years didn't have any catapults.

"I like to line up with the "meatball" (Improved Fresnel Lens Optical Landing System), the set of lights that (on real carriers) guide the aircraft down. Unfortunatley, this isn't modeled."

that would be way, way cool. Its not supported right now, but in theory it should be doable since MSFS does have the VASI working. It would be nice to have glideslope on the instruments and the Fresnel work in the sim. Then one could do really challenging night IFR carrier landings in bad weather.....

"I'm not sure if this is realistic or not, since the carrier's angle is wrong during landing. I'd also like to know where the notch is."

not sure what you mean about the angle. Do you mean the wind down the axial instead of the angle? that just gives you a right to left crosswind which means you have to crab in on final. Not exactly correct but maybe I can talk TK into fixing that in a future release. Don't hold your breath. By the notch, what I mean is that if you look to the right of the angled deck the junction of the angle and the rest of the deck going forward forms a "notch", sort of, as you look at it. So the technique is to get the approach lined up and as you track in you put the bottom of the gunsight just above that "notch" and that crabs you in just about right to maintain lineup for the trap - in this sim. In the real world the CAG and the Air Boss would be having the OOD for lunch but that's the best we can do in the sim for now.

"As for the pic... Ouch. Did it damage the carrier at all?"

not with the steel, armored decks we have today. I went up on deck once just after a crash on deck that just missed one of my Hawkeyes before it went over the side and you could see a bit of a gouge and some scorched paint but the deck was otherwise fine and operational.

watched another time as an EA-3 came in and the gear just folded up underneath as the aircraft crashed onto the deck and came to smoking stop. We just craned it up out of the way and went on with flight ops.

The EA-3...now THAT was a whale of a plane. :wink:

Guest capun
Sorry to push this off topic a little...

The CVAN-65 should have all the textures, try downloading again. (I've noticed it's gone at Capun's site, but still available here. The one here works fine for me.)

The hyperlink is above the Enterprise picture, it's a full Task Force 1 package

Edited by capun

The EA-3...now THAT was a whale of a plane. :wink:

there ought to be a law...............

:haha:

I'm assuming that where my nose is generally pointing, is the "notch"?

post-5735-1175291256_thumb.jpg

"Cruisers should be landable if they have catapults, "

catapults on cruisers? not since WWII. The CG and BB I sailed on for 2 years didn't have any catapults.

I mean a catapult block in the data.ini. The game recognizes that as where to put the player aircraft, and like on the LHA-1, it can even be modded to fire up.

Just wondering, in the real world, if the carrier was facing the right direction into the wind (that's what I meant), where would you aim? In the direction of the lines painted on the deck?

Did you keep the EA-3, or just toss it overboard? I can't imagine how much it would cost to fix damage like that...

Sorry Capun, I didn't see it.

I'm assuming that where my nose is generally pointing, is the "notch"?

yes. I find in this sim that seems to work. You are having to crab on final which is NOT what the CAG or Air Boss would tolerate for real, but works well enough here.

I mean a catapult block in the data.ini. The game recognizes that as where to put the player aircraft, and like on the LHA-1, it can even be modded to fire up.

Just wondering, in the real world, if the carrier was facing the right direction into the wind (that's what I meant), where would you aim? In the direction of the lines painted on the deck?

Did you keep the EA-3, or just toss it overboard? I can't imagine how much it would cost to fix damage like that...

Sorry Capun, I didn't see it.

I'm not following you here. If you are on the cat you aren't aiming, you are being aimed! I have even been shot downwind rather than into the wind on many occasions. The cat officer just dialed up the end speed to give us flying speed and we got a REAL kick in the .....!! That one would cage your eyeballs and better than an E ticket ride at Disneyland! :biggrin:

they craned the EA-3 up, out of the way and craned it off in the next inport. They later fixed it and it flew back aboard a few months later. There were not enough of them to afford junking it. We needed that coverage!!

That's why it's called a catapult! They catapult you off the ship! :haha:

The catapult is the only way (in game) to get the aircraft on the ship, or else the game wouldn't know where to put them. Firing up is the only way to keep the aircraft from going through the ship, and it's probably more realistic (on ships that don't have catapults in real life).

Edited by jtin

huh?

meaning you landed with flaps set for takeoff?

then went low in close with results something like this?

I know that pic. The plane went ended up on the water drowning the pilot.

I know that pic. The plane went ended up on the water drowning the pilot.

I sadly watched that happen a couple of times, but in that particular photographic sequence the pilot reportedly successfully ejected.

It is a file photo sequence, not one I happened to see myself so I hesitate to say for certain.

Edited by Typhoid