Sign in to follow this  

Now thats what I'm talkin about!

Looks like the F-35 won't have to be castrated in order to do VTOL.

That friggin' rocks.

I take it that loud crash in the background was the nugget wingman attempting to take off?

Very cool vid Ed!

I take it that loud crash in the background was the nugget wingman attempting to take off?

Very cool vid Ed!

That's the AI (Artificial Idiot), showing off.... :rolleyes:

Nice video :smile:, now we need a UD-4L :cool:

Nice video :smile:, now we need a UD-4L :cool:

A Colonial Marine drop-ship? LOL....if my memory isn't playing tricks on me, someone actually threatened to build one a couple of years ago, though I'd like to see a Sulaco model to launch it from.

lol that would be something really to see, but I wouuld think a UD-4L would be easier. The hardest part would be just animating rather than everything else, seeing that the Yak-41 and Harrier works with the vectored thrust. I mean it's not like you could actually insert an APC anyways :smile:

Progress so far:

1)Inertia values, Drag and lift values and their respective tables adjusted for a more realistic feel.

2)Main engine thrust set to proper values, and afterburner added.

3)Lift engine thrust values adjusted to allow for balanced VTOL operations (a bit of a cheat, as the real Yakovlev required afterburner w/full stores to achieve VTOL)

4)Wingtip Reaction Control Jets relocated for greater effectiveness, and to place them about where they'd be in the real model.

5)Internal gun entry set to use the Su-27/Mig-29 weapon that has been in use since the MiG-29's release in 2004, the "Gsh-301" for standardization's sake (and since it's already in the gundata.ini that comes with the weapons pack).

I've even gone as far as to create a "VTOL Operations Checklist" for this bird :biggrin:

Note: The following applies only to the FM that I'm working on.

1) Deploy air brakes (required to raise forward lift engine intake screen)

2) Set flaps to full

3) Set nozzles to full down position

4) release wheel brakes

5)Apply throttle smoothly. You will start lifting at approx. 87% throttle. Under no circumstances should you apply more than 89% throttle when in VTOL mode, or you will loose control when the AB kicks in.

6) when you're 100 feet or so off the ground, dip the nose forward slightly while still in VTOL mode to gain forward momentum.

7)Raise the landing gear, and begin swiveling the nozzles back (as smoothly as possible), as soon as you exceed 60 KIAS.

8)Retract the air brake/intake screen as you pass 80 knots, raise the flaps all the way at 170 knots, and you're flying like a real aircraft now!