Sign in to follow this  
serverandenforcer

Where did Chicago Meigs go?

How come FSX does not have Chicago Meigs air park? It's just one big strip of dirt now. I even went back several years in the Time and Season file and it still isn't there. Did they get rid of the air park in the real world?

I've done several real world arrival and departures from the airport...

Damn mayor went in and had the county trucks dig up the runway one night without telling anyone..

NO NOTAMS nothing.

They had to get special permits for the aircraf that were still on the field so they could take off on the taxi way. This is the worst thing they could have done to the place.

So why did they do this? I bet this mayor is facing major heat to do thatl. Wow, just doing something like that out of the blue is wrong on all levels. So, what about the people that worked there? They didn't get a notice either? I know that city politicians are corrupt straight from the core, but to do something so high profile is just astounding. Perhaps that's just the way Chicago rolls.

Mayor Dailey used 9/11 terrorist laws to plow up the runway. If they can't land/take off there...they can't crash the Sears tower. What a dumfk.

Signature, the FBO that was there received a fairly large settlement from what I understand. ....since they lost about 1 million annually in fuel sales....other then that...I think the city paid the expenses to have the remaining aircraft removed....

That's the most stupidest reason I've ever heard. The planes that were used in 9/11 were commercial airliners. Even a 737 couldn't take-off from Meigs. It was designed for small aircraft only. And it was a bit hairy for learjets to land at as well. So then, someone should ask him about O'Hare and that other major airport south of downtown chicago. Those two have the large airliners taking off from them and pose more of a concern than Meigs. Infact, Meigs could have been used as an immeidate crisis casualty collection center or a mobilization base for the national guard if crap really did go down at Sears Tower. I guess this is the result of someone waking up to reality and not knowing what to do since they spend most of their time in lala land.

Yeah, it's a real shame... I donated to the Save Meigs Field guys (still have a poster in my room back home) and it looked like they had it, then the city went in at night and plowed up the runaway, cowards. Such a beautiful airport ruined destroyed by opportunists :sorry:

Edited by CowboyTodd41

Yeah, it's a real shame... I donated to the Save Meigs Field guys (still have a poster in my room back home) and it looked like they had it, then the city went in at night and plowed up the runaway, cowards. Such a beautiful airport ruined destroyed by opportunists :sorry:

All I know is that the MAyor did it when PFC Lynch was being rescued. She was big news back then. Perfect timimg IMHO.

I live in Chicago area and a lot of people were P O'ed when Dailey did this.

However if you check the records, Meigs was one of the most dangerous general aviation airports in the world.

More accidents per flight op than anywhere in the world.

Somehow someone would put one in the lake on take off or landing.

Yeah,it's a bummer but Dailey used the accident record to justify its destruction. He said:What if somebody puts one in downtown?

The other thing was,just imagine how many expensive condo's you could build on the property.

Unfortunately,MONEY TALKS!!

:mad: