Sign in to follow this  
Fates

Operation Flashpoint 2 Announced

Operation Flashpoint™, the game that invented the conflict simulation genre, to return in 2008 reveals plans for a sequel for Bohemia Interactive Studios' military shooter. The sequel is being developed internally by Codemasters, and is slated for release in 2008:

Promising warfare on a scale never seen in a FPS, the biggest name in modern military simulation gaming will return in 2008 as Codemasters confirms that Operation Flashpoint™2 is in development for PC and major console formats.

Operation Flashpoint™2 will mark the long-awaited return of the total conflict simulator, which won international acclaim. Now in development, it is Codemasters Studios' most extensive R&D project to date. With the studio's largest development team ever assembled, Operation Flashpoint™2 has already benefited from over two years of pre-production on a closed set basis and will use a new FPS variant of Neon technology, the studio's proprietary middleware.

Building on the original game's heritage, Operation Flashpoint™2 will see the most realistic modelling of conflict scenarios in a new contemporary theatre of war. By offering a multitude of military disciplines, gameplay will deliver warfare more realistic and intense then ever before, while an extensive multiplayer component will create battles on an incredible scale.

Set to redefine the genre it created, Operation Flashpoint™2 is coming in 2008. Further details will be announced this summer; gamers can sign up for future development briefings online at: www.codemasters.com/flashpoint2

To be clear, this is done by the publisher of OFP, but not the same developer. Instead of BIS, this is being done by CM internally.

BIS just released Armed Assault, kind of an OFP 1.5, but has cut all ties with Codemasters and has no involvement with this project.

I was not sold on OFP the first time around i think i will be passing on this one!

Agreed, it seems like the shooter is just getting more console-ish and just cheesy. OFP was good for it's multiple things to do, but that's starting to get outdated.

The first flashpoint sucked, don't see why this one will be any different.

Shame Ubisoft ruined Ghost Recon....that was a good game.

True, Ubisoft also jacked up LOMAC, as we could have had the F/A-18A/C as a flyable, but they rushed and we lost it... Would have been great..

Well....they blessed us with the IL-2 series, so that is pretty much a wash on that one

OFP came of age with Resistance.....but if they can take it to a new engine and correct the problems with lag as ArmA has seen....this should be a winner.

Well....they blessed us with the IL-2 series, so that is pretty much a wash on that one

That's true, probably because Oleg was a little more open about IL-2 than Eagle Dynamics was. ED just makes it a pain in the butt to mod, while, okay IL-2 is a prop sim, but man, he sure got community involvement more than Lock On ever will have. Then ED split anyways, so that wasn't good, you can't order even the generic Lock On on the Ubisoft main site. Oh well!

As for OFP2? I agree Fates, if they take a page from what happened with ArmA, then I'd stick with it, but right now I'll fly around in LOMAC/WOE and still beat feet in GRAW.

To be clear, this is done by the publisher of OFP, but not the same developer. Instead of BIS, this is being done by CM internally.

BIS just released Armed Assault, kind of an OFP 1.5, but has cut all ties with Codemasters and has no involvement with this project.

That could be a good thing. I dealt alot with BIS back in the early days of OFP and modding and I can tell you with absolute certainty that BIS are some of the worst people in the world to deal with for this kind of stuff. Maybe they are better now, but back then, I wouldn't have believe them if they told me the sun was going to come up tomorrow. I would verify with someone else.

I'm not certain if they've changed or not, actually. :grin: However, ArmA is a great game even with its flaws, although I don't see why it took so long to get made given how much of OFP is still there---like all of it.