Small fixed canards are usually added to "energize" airflow with vortices. The vortices induce drag, so there is a penalty, but they can smooth out turbulent airflow. It is a means of stabilzing/controlling airflow at high angles of attack. They perform a function similar to leading edge root extensions on F/A-18 and F-16 fighters.

Hrm, I think those planes are fictional aside from the shinden and Do-335 (3rd link) the zwilling Me-262 says they are fantasy planes.

But I was making a point that there were few planes that used canards, fewer that entered service before the current generation of designs came around and they became popular.

Hrm, I think those planes are fictional aside from the shinden and Do-335 (3rd link) the zwilling Me-262 says they are fantasy planes..

The XP-55 and XB-70 were certainly not fictional, as there were at least two of each built. Also, as mentioned before, every B-1A and B has a set of small canards.

If you want to expand the genre a bit further, there was the Tu-144, an airliner that saw rather limited service, but was still considered a production aircraft.

The reason that canards are only now coming into "common" use on military aircraft, probably has more to do with the advent of fly-by-wire systems, than anything else.