Sign in to follow this  
boris1234

THE BEST AIR TO AIR MISSILE

did anybody hear about the aam called PYTHON 5?

its an israeli missile.....

i have heard that it has some skills......

if some one can add it 2 the weapons pack it will be very ......

here is a link to know what im talking about...... thanks ahead

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Python_missile

did anybody hear about the aam called PYTHON 5?

its an israeli missile.....

i have heard that it has some skills......

if some one can add it 2 the weapons pack it will be very ......

here is a link to know what im talking about...... thanks ahead

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Python_missile

Yes, I heard something about Python 5 :crazy:

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/mis...n/Python5.html¨

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrTv9f1oXJw

And there is interesting video about Python 4 too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFxjG_0DgCs...ted&search=

Edited by kukulino

I thought the best Air-To-Air missile currently in service was the russian "Archer-B" missile which some aircraft have on pylons firing backwards?

I thought the best Air-To-Air missile currently in service was the russian "Archer-B" missile which some aircraft have on pylons firing backwards?

With the all aspect/off boresight capability of the AIM-9X and the Python 5, a rear firing missile is no longer needed. As far as the IRIS-T and A-Darter are concerned, the AIM-9X and the Python 5 are already, HMD etc. The IRIS-T and A-Darter are playing catch up.

Well, that off-boresight capability may well make them superior AAMs, but to face the rear end of an aircraft and suddenly being immediately faced with a missile flying dead backwards towards you is surely something to be catched by surprise if you're not prepared - AIM-9X and Python 5 would be fired forwards and have to come about, but these "Archer-B" missiles, firing rearwards, fly straight into the path of any pursuer without needing to turn, I gather... and since I doubt that forward-firing flares exist... well, it's a lucky escape then... but yeah, I guess AIM-9X is a better AAM overall...

Edited by TX3RN0BILL

Well, that off-boresight capability may well make them superior AAMs, but to face the rear end of an aircraft and suddenly being immediately faced with a missile flying dead backwards towards you is surely something to be catched by surprise if you're not prepared - AIM-9X and Python 5 would be fired forwards and have to come about, but these "Archer-B" missiles, firing rearwards, fly straight into the path of any pursuer without needing to turn, I gather... and since I doubt that forward-firing flares exist... well, it's a lucky escape then... but yeah, I guess AIM-9X is a better AAM overall...

I may be wrong, but I think that is just hype. There are a lot of aerodynamic problems with firing a missile to the rear.

No one ever mentions the R-73 anymore. Is there still a belief that Russians are somehow unable to produce quality weapons systems? In close combat, only the Aim-9X has an edge on it, and even then it's not much.

But either way, it's all moot really. Amraam/Amraamski/Meteor have really consigned knife fighting to history.

The rear-firing missile never proceeded beyond test...all you have to do is think about the problem a rear-firing missile has to solve to make the intercept and you can see why it's easier to just have a conventional missile pull 40+ Gs instead.

Let's examine the issue:

1. Getting a positive lock...on the bandit and not your wingman gunning for him.

2. Coming off the rail with enough acceleration to overcome traveling 400 kts in the wrong direction.

3. And if not, initially flying backwards without tumbling end over end...and assuming you're not pulling hard in radial Gs which you probably are.

4. Then having enough energy to reaccelerate to make the intercept of the target...assuming he hasn't pulling an out of plane manuver to defeat your shot while it was trying to accelerate to something to manuver with.

Or do this:

1. Getting a positive lock with a helmet mounted sight with datalink.

2. Come off a conventional rail with the airspeed of the aircraft giving you additional energy.

3. Make a 40+ G turn...no worrying about swapping ends unless you lose a fin or thruster.

FastCargo

No one ever mentions the R-73 anymore. Is there still a belief that Russians are somehow unable to produce quality weapons systems? In close combat, only the Aim-9X has an edge on it, and even then it's not much.

But either way, it's all moot really. Amraam/Amraamski/Meteor have really consigned knife fighting to history.

R-73=AA-11=Archer

a very, very good dogfight missile with off-boresight capabilty and flare rejection. Until the AIM-9X it was the world premier in-close missile. The AIM-9X and the Python are roughly comparable.

The Amramski is also comparable to the Amram but with slightly shorter range.

I may be wrong, but I think that is just hype. There are a lot of aerodynamic problems with firing a missile to the rear.

You saying that the 1990 sim F-29 Retaliator I had on the Amiga got it all wrong! :blush:

Yeah BVR's just not Cricket - what happened to 2 men of honour dueling in similar flying machines - hopefully we will get some better counter measures soon!

Pretty much now countermeasures aren't going to be affective against the likes of an AIM-9X or a Python 5. Its the first one to fire theirs off who is going win that engagement. IMHO.

Pretty much now countermeasures aren't going to be affective against the likes of an AIM-9X or a Python 5. Its the first one to fire theirs off who is going win that engagement. IMHO.

well, the countermeasures world is not exactly standing still either. It does still come down to who sees who first and gets the first shot which is pretty much the way air combat has been since First Eagles days. (and the mission of us airborne air intercept controllers to get our guys that first shot!)

which is, by the way, why the F-22 will excel. It can get the first shot while the Super Flanker is still looking.

Edited by Typhoid