Did the Ground Attack Tornados radar have any sort of Air Search Capability (just for identifying enemy threats) or was it only able to be used for Ground Attack missions.

Thanks

Did the Ground Attack Tornados radar have any sort of Air Search Capability (just for identifying enemy threats) or was it only able to be used for Ground Attack missions.

Thanks

They should have both.

A bit of warning, first: Due to current SF configuration issues, if you enable any advanced HUD features on the Tornado (and thereby use the Avionics70.dll), you will lose air to ground radar capabilities, such as ground mapping and terrain avoidance. TK has assured us that this will be rectified in a future release.

They should have both.

actually I'm not sure that it does - the GR's aren't equipped for radar guided AAMs but only for Sidewinders for self-defence.

They do of course have an RWR/countermeasures suite.

I'm pretty sure it's terrain-following and ground mapping only. Given the mission it's supposed to do...having an A-A radar is relitively useless. Don't forget, the sidewinder it carries are defensive ONLY (not that their mountable, per se, on the latest model -- they were left off on purpose) Checked both my LockOn and In Action book, and unfortunately, they don't say nothing.

So, it looks like we might be stuck with the original style "HUD", no CCIP, working TA & GA radar, and more waiting for avionics80.dll. I sure hope it combines both A-A & A-G!

Wrench

kevin stein

a-ha! I knew if I looked long enough, I'd find something....

http://www.tornado-data.com/History/overview.htm

about halfway down the page, you'll see this line:

The GR1 has two radar, one attack and one terrain following, they are both produced by Texas Instruments and operate in KU band.

Wrench

kevin stein

Little bit of a clean up...

ds_toro-gr1_cockpit.jpg

Using the F-4E_RWR.BMP, f-4e_radarPPI.bmp and just editing the avionics ini, you get the above. (not forgetting to extract said bmps, and place them in the cockpit folder)

And taking a page from Lexx Luthors book, even the gauge faces could probably be replaced by those from Phantom, thereby cleaning up the pit enourmously!

Just something else to put on the 'to do' list....

Wrench

kevin stein

I gotta tell ya, as a former air to mud guy, I'm not particularly fond of the current (Avionics60.dll) A/G radar modes anyway. For me, they're fairly useless because there is no TF capability. So, I don't mind losing the A/G radar to gain a better HUD. At least at the current time...guess I can wait til Avionics80.dll...

FastCargo

Little bit of a clean up...

ds_toro-gr1_cockpit.jpg

Using the F-4E_RWR.BMP, f-4e_radarPPI.bmp and just editing the avionics ini, you get the above. (not forgetting to extract said bmps, and place them in the cockpit folder)

And taking a page from Lexx Luthors book, even the gauge faces could probably be replaced by those from Phantom, thereby cleaning up the pit enourmously!

Just something else to put on the 'to do' list....

Wrench

kevin stein

Are you building a Tornado?

Guest Saganuay82

Is that the Tornado pit from CA Kev?

Not sure...it's the one from the latest version out by USAFMTL and Co. (whatever version we're using for the DS mod)

Wrench

kevin stein

Guest Saganuay82

Ah