Sign in to follow this  
Dave

F-16XL Version 2.0

Holy crap! I knew of the Lavi (and all the fake J-10 images), I knew of the XL, but I never put them side by side and went "Jeeze... They look similar..." :rofl:

Man... I feel a bit dopier for that. :blink:

By the way, wasn't it called the AFTI?

EC89-0016-20.jpg

This is what you're talking about, yeah?

There was a great version of this in Ace Combat 3... :good:

Wasn't there also a version of the F-16 with canards and without the vertical fin? Now that would be cool too...

Holy crap! I knew of the Lavi (and all the fake J-10 images), I knew of the XL, but I never put them side by side and went "Jeeze... They look similar..." :rofl:

Man... I feel a bit dopier for that. :blink:

By the way, wasn't it called the AFTI?

EC89-0016-20.jpg

This is what you're talking about, yeah?

There was a great version of this in Ace Combat 3... :good:

Yes i guess they where talking about the AFTI because the ASTI is an avionics system upgrade... here.

AFTI

F-16-365CCV.jpg

F-16-364AFTI.jpg

theres also another type...the forward wing variation F-16 SFW

01.jpg

AFTI+SFW

f16swf.jpg

In 1976, DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) awarded funds to General Dynamics, Rockwell and Grumman under the Forward-Swept Wing Program. Forward-swept wings offer low drag and improved low-speed handling characteristics, but they are extremely difficult to manufacture using conventional techniques. The use of advanced composite materials makes the wing rigid enough to withstand the forces introduced by aerodynamic stress, while simultaneously avoiding a weight penalty.

The engineers at General Dynamics studied several designs, including one with canards and an aft-mounted wing. The final design submitted to DARPA used the landing gear and most fuselage components of the traditional F-16, yet it had a slightly lengthened and strengthened fuselage to allow the forward-swept wing to be attached, since the new wing was slightly larger than the traditional wing.

The SFW/F-16 was rejected by DARPA in January of 1981 in favor of the Grumman 712 (an F-5/F-20 derivative), later designated the X-29A. The decision was mainly a political one, as many thought that the test-scene at NASA was heavily dominated by General Dynamics' F-16s (AFTI, CCV, F-16XL). Another much-cited reason was that "One could only learn so much from a single airframe", though in retrospect, ongoing experiments with the F-16 seem to prove this wrong. It is interesting to note that the chosen design, the X-29A, consists for about 16% of F-16 components, including the Fly-By-Wire Flight Control System.

After the F-5 airframe was chosen for this project, all development into this version halted.

And by the way...i dindt said the XL and Lavi look similar...i said they were problably refering TO the Lavi.

Wasn't there also a version of the F-16 with canards and without the vertical fin? Now that would be cool too...

Yes there was...the F-16X, but it didnt had canards

f16x1.jpg

F-16%20USAF%20X_screenshot%20815.jpg

Ok, new LOD by Dels various other fixes. Come get it boys! Enjoy.

Download complete... now I just can't wait to get home and try it out! Thanks again for this great plane!!! :ok::clapping::good:

Hey, maybe my file was corrupted...but I'm not seeing any LOD files in the .rar.

FastCargo