Where does everyone get the data for their custom flight models. I am finally at the point where I have to create some decent flight models and need data , on airfoils, which airfoils a particular aircraft had for wings, horizontal tail, vertical tail etc.

Thanks

Where does everyone get the data for their custom flight models. I am finally at the point where I have to create some decent flight models and need data , on airfoils, which airfoils a particular aircraft had for wings, horizontal tail, vertical tail etc.

Thanks

One word: GOOGLE

Some of us also have purchased flight manuals for a lot of these aircraft.

One word: GOOGLE

I was hoping you folks would have some nice quick source. I am using Google, found some decent stuff

I was hoping you folks would have some nice quick source. I am using Google, found some decent stuff

which aircraft in particular? Some sources are really gold, others are, well, next to worthless.

Guest capun

I have not done FM's in a while since we have an FM expert in the team. But here's some sites that may be useful if you don't have them already

Also look at the AvHistory.org 1% data files for some info. They are now using DATCOM (there is a free electronic version now) as the starting point.

Airfoil Database

Airfoil Data

NACA-NASA

NASA tools

If I run into more info I'll post it

BTW, are you "the" Mustang who did the modeling video tutorials a few years back?

I have not done FM's in a while since we have an FM expert in the team. But here's some sites that may be useful if you don't have them already

Also look at the AvHistory.org 1% data files for some info. They are now using DATCOM (there is a free electronic version now) as the starting point.

Airfoil Database

Airfoil Data

NACA-NASA

NASA tools

If I run into more info I'll post it

BTW, are you "the" Mustang who did the modeling video tutorials a few years back?

Thanks for the info.

Yup, this is the same mustang that did the tuts.

the ones that were over at Mc Fly's?

In that case, thank you VERY much for making those videos. They're lifesavers! :)

In that case, thank you VERY much for making those videos. They're lifesavers! :)

You are most welcome, I have gotten some excellent emails over the last couple of years about them. A fair number of people have found them to be an excellent introduction to modelling aircraft that they haven't found anywhere else.

Most modelling tuts are for characters or weapons etc and while those are helpfull, it doesn't help the total newbie much for getting into aircraft modelling.

What has been most satisfying for me is seeing someone who has never used a 3d program before, release a model into games like WOE/WOV/SF or FS series and it looks really good.

Edited by mustang60348

Guest capun

Same here Mustang, those tutorials were (and still are) a great help to get me started.

They got me started into 3D Modeling when I had no clue what to do with 3DS Max, I keep them in my HD and in a CD to peruse them once in a while when I need some help.

If I was remiss to send you a thank you note, sorry about it.

Great work on those tutorials.

CP

Same here Mustang, those tutorials were (and still are) a great help to get me started.

They got me started into 3D Modeling when I had no clue what to do with 3DS Max, I keep them in my HD and in a CD to peruse them once in a while when I need some help.

If I was remiss to send you a thank you note, sorry about it.

Great work on those tutorials.

CP

Thanks

Hey yeah I saw those tuts too, I couldn't believe it when I actually found something so usefull for once, a very big thanks for those, since watching them modelling was a whole lot easyer and quicker too.

my vote for patron saint of flight sim modders :yes:

Craig

I want to add my vote for Mustang's videos being the greatest thing since 'Girls Gone Wild.'

With those videos and some pointers from Capun who helped me figure out getting the models into the game and most importantly filled in the blanks on how to put the skins on the models I can now add my small part to the community.

Many thanks

TD

I want to add my vote for Mustang's videos being the greatest thing since 'Girls Gone Wild.'

With those videos and some pointers from Capun who helped me figure out getting the models into the game and most importantly filled in the blanks on how to put the skins on the models I can now add my small part to the community.

Many thanks

TD

Thanks for the kind words

I just thought, perhaps I could put out a series of "Mustang gone wild", I am a 46 year old grey haired man, Would anyone like to see that.

:)

I didn't think so. I could probably make lots of money from people who DON'T want to see that.

I believe that's called "extortion." :grin:

Thanks for the kind words

I just thought, perhaps I could put out a series of "Mustang gone wild", I am a 46 year old grey haired man, Would anyone like to see that.

:)

I didn't think so. I could probably make lots of money from people who DON'T want to see that.

Oh man and just when I thought my day was going to start out right.....now I have to go burn my eyes out of my sockets..... :biggrin:

Dave, think we could start a new file section for 'Tutorials' and get his vids (and other's tut's) uploaded?

Good idea...dw, its your baby. Want to get them over here?

As soon as I get to a high speed connection, I'll post 'em :)

or maybe i should burn'em and snail mail them...might be faster

Edited by dwcace

Just wondering, did you guys ever get around to posting these?

*edit* duh, found 'em :blind:

Edited by RunsWithScissors