Sign in to follow this  
grayson

My WoV wish list

Hi guys,

just thinking out loud here, both YAP and Razbams sites are payware, so these are the things i would happily pay for.

1. Better planning maps for WoV ( higher rez,known sam and aaa sites, like we had in DI`s Tornado !!!)

2. A better A6 with DIANE (the pilot flew the plane but the Beanie put the ordinance on the spot ala "flight of the intruder".

Not being a modder but knowing how many gifted people there are out there, how difficult would these be ??

your comments please.

1. Better planning maps for WoV ( higher rez,known sam and aaa sites, like we had in DI`s Tornado !!!)

Working on this myself. I'm working in a GIS program rectifying the VietnamSEA_map2 bmp with the real world data. My intention is to make a VERY large reference map for use in KMD from period topo maps which can be DL off the net. Its gonna take some work as there are lots of them and the rectification of them takes a while.

One thing I'd like to see and wonder if its possible would be to resize the Vietnam terrain to real size and have some way of altering the values in the target file so that it works with the true sized terrain.

Hi guys,

just thinking out loud here, both YAP and Razbams sites are payware, so these are the things i would happily pay for.

2. A better A6 with DIANE (the pilot flew the plane but the Beanie put the ordinance on the spot ala "flight of the intruder".

Not being a modder but knowing how many gifted people there are out there, how difficult would these be ??

your comments please.

A hi-rez planning map is quite doable, and (at least in theory) any object with a fixed position, such as a SAM site, search RADAR, or AAA emplacement, can have an icon assigned to it that will show on the planning (and in-flight) map. However, that last feature may not yet be fully implemented, as we've recently discovered when trying to pinpoint RADAR sites.

Unfortunately, according to the developer (TK), a system such as DIANE is currently beyond the capabilities of the existing avionics code, or the scope of the sim.

One thing I'd like to see and wonder if its possible would be to resize the Vietnam terrain to real size and have some way of altering the values in the target file so that it works with the true sized terrain.

Yes, that's doable, and it's already been accomplished with other terrains. It's a bit of work, though, as you'd have to relocate every object, town, and airfield, to match the full-sized terrain map.

Yes, that's doable, and it's already been accomplished with other terrains. It's a bit of work, though, as you'd have to relocate every object, town, and airfield, to match the full-sized terrain map.

I'd cheat and write a program to do it for me.

I'd cheat and write a program to do it for me.

LOL..... that's not cheating, that's called using your head.

Guest Saganuay82

Well please cheat then as soon as you can and write that program. Also while you are writing programs could you write a program that would read the types.ini from the terrain and be able to click and select a type and drop it onto a grid? Then when it is on the grid, it writes the offset from 0,0 for you and you just cut and paste that into a target.ini?

That way you can visualize what you target would look like? Got the idea from Sal's Waypoint Generator for the old EAW conversion SFP1 terrain site.

How about ALL these great ideas for WoE? How great would it be to have you great modders and mission creators produce something and have it be brought into the game with no need to edit any .ini files or anything? just extract it to the proper place and be able to enjoy it right away! Wishful thinking? :clapping:

Also while you are writing programs could you write a program that would read the types.ini from the terrain and be able to click and select a type and drop it onto a grid? Then when it is on the grid, it writes the offset from 0,0 for you and you just cut and paste that into a target.ini?

That way you can visualize what you target would look like? Got the idea from Sal's Waypoint Generator for the old EAW conversion SFP1 terrain site.

Not quite sure I'm with you here. I'm fairly new to WOV/WOE and am not sure what you are talking about here.

I'm more than willing to write some programs but will probably need to ask some (potentially dumb) questions to achieve the goals. I don't want to hijack graysons thread here but If I write a program to alter the positions of objects would someone else be willing to help with the resizing of the actual map?. I will start a new thread to avoid hijacking this one further.

This goes for everyone:

Don't ever feel guilty for asking questions!

It's the best way to get anywhere! If you feel too embarrassed, PM me and I'll ask it! :tongue:

I'd be perfectly happy with smaller planning map icons...you know...that don't take over half the bleedin' map ! :clapping:

Guest Saganuay82

targeteditor.jpg

Hope this makes more sense. This is in the targets.ini.

[TargetArea001]

Name=Al'Duhok

Position=416000.00,530000.00 <-------------------This can be placed by using Kreelins Mission Editor to read the planning map ( my method anyway)

Radius=4500

ActiveYear=0

Location=1

Alignment=FRIENDLY

The information below would be written by the target editor and then the maker cuts and pastes the information in.

Target[001].Type=Warehouse1

Target[001].Offset=-1066.00,-2392.00

Target[001].Heading=-90

Target[002].Type=Warehouse1

Target[002].Offset=-914.00,-2402.00

Target[002].Heading=-90

Target[003].Type=AAA

Target[003].Offset=-1172.00,-3022.00

Target[003].Heading=180

This is th link to Sals waypoint editor where I kinda came up with the idea.

http://www.sfmods.com/clips/euromp.html

OK that sounds very do-able.

What sort of sized area would the grid need to cover?.

Its possible that I could get it to export straight into the targets.ini file (provided its not in the .cat file)

what is the unit of measure that the offset is using?.

Edited by Dark_au

Guest Saganuay82

I would say that would be something that the user could set. Say set it for 5 or 10 kms or whatever they want it to be. If you were setting targets over a city area it would be quite large as opposed to a SAM site. The offset position I do believe is in meters. Maps are made in kms.

OK so a user setable area with a setable grid. I can't see too many problems with that.

Does the types.ini contain any info about the size of the items?.

Guest Saganuay82

From the types.ini

[TargetType001]

Name=barrack1

FullName=Barrack

ModelName=barrack1.lod

TargetType=MISC

ActiveYear=0

TargetValue=20

UseGroundObject=FALSE

DamagePoint=10.0

ArmorValue=0.0

ArmorType=0

RepairRate=0.150

StartDetectChance=0

StartIdentifiedChance=0

IncreaseDetectChanceKey=0

MaxVisibleDist=8000.0

DamagedModel=

DestroyedEffect=MediumShortStructureCollapse

DestroyedModel=barrack1_destroyed

SecondaryChance=25

SecondaryEffect=SmallExplosionEffect

Nothing on the size of the target. Polak , if he reads this might be able to chime in on it.

Perhaps.........it could read the planning map? Then you could zoom in on the planning map and place your targets that way. Wherever the center dot would be the program writes that position as the target location. The adds the offsets?

Only trouble with directly reading from the planning map would be the need to know what sized area it represents.

what does the UseGroundObject do and why would it be set to false if the baaracks is a ground object?.

Guest Saganuay82

UseGroundObject is anything that is in the groundobjects folder. Trucks, tanks, guns etc. If BARRACK was in there, you could end up engaging barracks in convoy.....no good.

Rgr on the planning map. If the other idea will work where it shows the offset from zero on the side, run with that for now.

Guest Saganuay82

Actually about the map size, it does state it in the ini.

Longitude=10.817

Latitude=51.111

[Map]

FilenameFormat=GermanyCE_Map%d.bmp

Width=1000000.0

Height=1000000.0

NumZoomLevels=2

Yeah i noticed that last night when i was looking through the files.

Can you clarify something please. in the target info are the offsets the same orientation as for the map. ie is the bottom left corner -x,-y and upper right is +x,+y

Guest Saganuay82

Correct

Guest Saganuay82

Is it working out?

working on it... currently working on the user interface and reading the files.

Guest Saganuay82

Excellent.

ok making some progress here. Does anyone know of any info on the LOD file format or has anyone ever made an LOD viewer?.