Sign in to follow this  
Dave

I Touched a Piece of US History Today

Went back to the USAF museum today and went to the Presidential Hangar. There in all its glory was SAM 26000, former Air Force One, the one that JFK used and the one that his coffin came back in. Well I got to go on it today and there was a sense of aw being in there.

DSC_0138.jpg

SAM 26000

T045246A.jpg

You all remember seeing a pic of this around the net right?

DSC_0133.jpg

Here is the same spot more or less, very cramped.

DSC_0134.jpg

You see that metal strip? That is where they cut the cabin to be able to carry JFK's coffin back instead of the cargo hold.

DSC_0136.jpg

Finally this is where they ripped out the seats and placed the coffin.

Sorry about the pic quality, the area was cramped and all sectioned off with plexiglass. It was a very moving experience for me to be there after seeing it so many times on the History channel or on this show or that show.

That's awesome dude.

I want to get back to the Museum of Flight here in Seattle...they have an old Air Force One that you can walk through....doubt it has the same storied history as this one though......very cool pics

thanks! nice pictures... and a nice history lesson..

That reminds me, I still need to scan my pics from my visit to the USAFM from '04. I think I have a few pics of SAM26000

Thanks for the pics, always wanted to see inside of the plane but with my disability.. Sorry I couldn't be there dude..

Falcon

I spent a day in December dragging the wife through this hangar! She actually took interest in this part of this museum, where as I could have spent a week there..............

Thanks for the pics, always wanted to see inside of the plane but with my disability.. Sorry I couldn't be there dude..

Falcon

Its all good my friend, we will meet someday.

I'll try to post up pics from my trip to chicago when I get back :cool:. I'm leaving this saturday WOOT!

Falcon

Edited by FalconCAF