Sign in to follow this  
FastCargo

Random Ravings

So sitting around on a Thursday in Memphis, I've been doing some musings...

First, you ever had a completely unexpected event happen, so unexpected that it takes you a few seconds to process what you are seeing? Or better yet, you react, then you analyze what you just saw?

We live in typical suburbia, just like you'd think of. Have a 2 story, 2 car garage (not a carport) where only one car can fit in with the other side full of stuff.

Anyway, the family and I are heading out. While the wife puts on the kid's shoes, I go to open the door the leads to the garage.

And find myself 5 feet from a 6 point buck! I don't know who was surprised more...me or the deer. I could swear we stared at each other for at least 2 to 3 seconds.

My wife said it was more like 1/2 a second...at which point I jumped back and shut the door...and then figured out what I saw. While I heard a couple of 'crashes' from the garage as it bounded out.

I suspect what happened is that when I shut the garage door last night, I didn't monitor it's closure completely, and it got 'caught' on something and automatically opened back up and stayed open all night. Where upon the deer came in the morning and went toward where we keep bags of salt for the water softener.

Second, finally watched the second disk of the 2-DVD set of 'The Final Countdown'. Some interesting extras...including interviews with the original VF-84 pilots. What was really cool was that I know a few of those guys, and flew with one on them here at FedEx! Emery Brown, at the time the CO of VF-84 during the making of 'The Final Countdown'. Hell, I knew he had been one of the USNs test pilots for the F-14 back in the day...but he didn't tell me about the movie stuff. Neat stuff...supposedly all of the actors and film people were pretty cool...with one notable exception - Katherine Ross. A shame really... Oh, and they used a B-25 for a lot of the air to air shots!

Third, I really wish someone would make a portable HOTAS for laptops owners...this Saitek ST90 folding joystick is okay...but it's not the same as when I used my full set...

FastCargo

So sitting around on a Thursday in Memphis, I've been doing some musings...

First, you ever had a completely unexpected event happen, so unexpected that it takes you a few seconds to process what you are seeing? Or better yet, you react, then you analyze what you just saw?

We live in typical suburbia, just like you'd think of. Have a 2 story, 2 car garage (not a carport) where only one car can fit in with the other side full of stuff.

Anyway, the family and I are heading out. While the wife puts on the kid's shoes, I go to open the door the leads to the garage.

And find myself 5 feet from a 6 point buck! I don't know who was surprised more...me or the deer. I could swear we stared at each other for at least 2 to 3 seconds.

My wife said it was more like 1/2 a second...at which point I jumped back and shut the door...and then figured out what I saw. While I heard a couple of 'crashes' from the garage as it bounded out.

I suspect what happened is that when I shut the garage door last night, I didn't monitor it's closure completely, and it got 'caught' on something and automatically opened back up and stayed open all night. Where upon the deer came in the morning and went toward where we keep bags of salt for the water softener.

Second, finally watched the second disk of the 2-DVD set of 'The Final Countdown'. Some interesting extras...including interviews with the original VF-84 pilots. What was really cool was that I know a few of those guys, and flew with one on them here at FedEx! Emery Brown, at the time the CO of VF-84 during the making of 'The Final Countdown'. Hell, I knew he had been one of the USNs test pilots for the F-14 back in the day...but he didn't tell me about the movie stuff. Neat stuff...supposedly all of the actors and film people were pretty cool...with one notable exception - Katherine Ross. A shame really...

Third, I really wish someone would make a portable HOTAS for laptops owners...this Saitek ST90 folding joystick is okay...but it's not the same as when I used my full set...

FastCargo

I knew the E-2 guys in that film too.

I wouldn't want to get stuck in a garage with a buck either. Them sumbyatches will hurt ya. My garage door does the same thing from time to time. I have a habit of watching it close when I'm leaving because it will reverse itself once in awhile.

...and here I complain about the neighbours Labrador getting into my garden... I think my bowels would explode like a claymore if I saw anything that big!! :biggrin:

In Alabama, you would find the odd alligator in the carport during the summer!!! And as for the buck, he looks all cute and cuddly, but you let one in, they ALL want in. And we just can't have that.....

Damn, Fast Cargo....

The wildest encounter I ever had was with a 400 lb black bear that had wandered into a multi-level parking deck at a job site in north western NJ (at night). The area surrounding that corporate campus consisted of heavily wooded, rolling hills, with a lot of trails, creeks, ponds, (etc.). So it wasn't fully unexpected, as was the case when a black bear wandered into the urban sprawl of Newark and Irvington: http://www.wnbc.com/news/9181425/detail.html

I do a lot of hiking/backpacking here in NH and I've come across all manner of wildlife; bear, deer, moose, etc. None of them ever bothered me except for . . . a gaggle of geese that were blocking a back country road. I got out of the truck to shoo them away and the bastards nearly broke my legs flapping those damn wings, not to mention the biting beaks. They look delicate, but there is some heft to those birds.

I do a lot of hiking/backpacking here in NH and I've come across all manner of wildlife; bear, deer, moose, etc. None of them ever bothered me except for . . . a gaggle of geese that were blocking a back country road. I got out of the truck to shoo them away and the bastards nearly broke my legs flapping those damn wings, not to mention the biting beaks. They look delicate, but there is some heft to those birds.

Funny that you should mention geese.

I'm assuming that you meant Canadian Geese? At the very same campus where I had the bear encounter, we used to get flocks of Canadian Geese that would hang out on the lawns surrounding the buildings. In the evening, they'd sit around out by the walkway to the parking deck, and would often hiss at you as you attempted to pass....lol.

They've become year-round residents here in NJ, and they are everywhere.

Yeah, I saw those interviews on the 2nd DVD and laughed at their talk of Kat Ross. The truly ironic thing is for how important she thought she was, how much did she do after that movie?