Sign in to follow this  
SkyStrike

Would fictional aircraft like the the F/A-37 Talon really fly & perform as well as it did in the movie "Stealth" if it were really built?

Hi again,

Another one of my controversial questions:

In case fictional aircraft like the F/A-37 Talon from the movie "Stealth", the VF-1 Valkyre and SV-51 from "Macross Zero" were actually built in reality, would they really fly and perform that well as they did in the movies & series, even with the latest fly-by-wire & fly-by-light control interfaces...

the reason I'm asking this question is because all, if not most of these designs seem to defy aerodynamic designs of currrent military aircraft (even the latest)..

Thanks..

Cheers!

Well for one thing to dogfight like in Macross Zero the VF-0 would really need those thermonuclear reaction engines (whatever those are) because with those frequent changes in momentum those two afterburning turbofans would suck the tanks dry in just a few minutes.

would the Millennium Falcon really be able to make the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs?

I say no, but my friend says it could....I don't know....12 parsecs is awefully fast. I say at least 20 parsecs, and maybe a half a parsnip too.

That and the scene where the guy's counting the Mach numbers "Mach 1, Mach 2" etc, he reaches Mach 4 in just a few seconds. I've heard it said that going from practically zero, to 4000kph in just a few seconds would crush every bone in your body!

Guest Saganuay82

Controversial? Well it would be the same as asking a WW1 pilot if he can engage an aircraft beyond visual range after dashing into the area at 50000 ft at Mach 2. His answer would be the same. "Nope" and he would probably think you are crazy.

Just have to wait and see or get your head kept alive in a jar where the jar walks around on little legs or on a robots body where you have another guys head on a dogs body and he follows......................oh wait, sorry .... Simpsons episode.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons..........

Hi again,

Another one of my controversial questions:

In case fictional aircraft like the F/A-37 Talon from the movie "Stealth", the VF-1 Valkyre and SV-51 from "Macross Zero" were actually built in reality, would they really fly and perform that well as they did in the movies & series, even with the latest fly-by-wire & fly-by-light control interfaces...

the reason I'm asking this question is because all, if not most of these designs seem to defy aerodynamic designs of currrent military aircraft (even the latest)..

Thanks..

Cheers!

Well duh..... thus why its called fiction....... :blink::good:

Northrop patented a design called the switchblade which looks nearly identical to the Talon. They might fly, they might have a good performance level, or they may very well perform mediocre like the P-59(americas first jet) did against props. The anime stuff certainly would never become a transformer or walking mech thingy they look like. oh the things those crazy people come up with!

But they certainly wouldn't have the exaggerated performance of fiction. Hell in stealth they aparently flew from one of the 'stans to siberia, back out to sea, to alaska and to north korea within the span of minutes. Why base something with that kind of range on a carrier if you could fly that far?

Guest 531_Ghost

I would've also said nope a few years back. But, then, I was working at the time a "Black Project". Knowing what I thought I knew about jet engines and how they work, exhaust systems too working off Bernoulli's Theorm, I, didn't expect to see this as the finished product of what we were producing at the time (early 80s). Ah the P59, did you know the I1A that powered the P59 is under glass at the GE Lynn MA front gate? The birthplace of Americas jet engine.

There's something else i have to add to my question:

In Macross Zero all Variable Fighters are capable of speeds in excess of Mach 4... including the VF-19 Excalibur which has a forward swept wing (FSW) design...

I thought aircraft with FSW's can't go as fast as their cousins with regular swept-back wings, and of the few aircraft with FSW designs , the most noteworthy of them was the Northrop-Grumman X-29, and that too it could barely exceed Mach 1... I read in A Jane's guide that the FSW concept was to mainly design high speed strike aircraft with excellent speed and handling at low altitudes, and which could hold their own against enemy air opposition....

even the F/A-37 Talon, though it's a Switchblade wing design, its default wing sweep angle is an FSW

Can FSW aircraft actually reach hypersonic speeds??

HIGHLY UNLIKELY!!!!!

Well for one thing to dogfight like in Macross Zero the VF-0 would really need those thermonuclear reaction engines (whatever those are) because with those frequent changes in momentum those two afterburning turbofans would suck the tanks dry in just a few minutes.

Yes indeed... Most definitely... A VERY VALID point you have there...

the SV-51 apparently has a pair of afterburning turbofans, and with all that transformation between fighter mode and robot mode would drain the fuel tanks bone-dry in a matter of minutes, as you said.....

here's a link for specs on the SV-51 (Ridiculous!!!)

http://unsd.macrossroleplay.org/sukhoisv51.html

Edited by Tomcat_ace

And beside,s many of these fictional aircraft look like some of these sketches of artists of the '60s and 70's depicting futuristic military aircraft with complicated designs... But as we all know that the NONE of the present and latest aircraft bear even the sightest resemblence to those depicted...

and in the movie "Stealth" VTOL aircraft are depicted flying at hypersonic speeds and in reality the latest VTOL jet (the F-35 joint strike fighter) is one of three VTOL jets that can fly supersonic (Mach 1.6) and the other two being the Yak-38 'Forger' and Yak-141 'Freestyle' of Russia..

But to crown it all is a fictional ''supersonic'' helicopter called the ''Airwolf'' from the 1984 seies with the same name,which is capable of speeds up to Mach 2....( and that too the 'Airwolf' is depicted by a modified Bell 222)

Frankly, I don't think that any helicopter has ever reached supersonic speeds.. .the main rotors provide lift pretty well, but is insufficent to propel the craft at really high speeds (leave alone supersonic) and cause high aerodynamic resistance...

Edited by Tomcat_ace

would the Millennium Falcon really be able to make the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs?

I say no, but my friend says it could....I don't know....12 parsecs is awefully fast. I say at least 20 parsecs, and maybe a half a parsnip too.

If the Millenium Falcon you're talking about is the same as the one in Star Wars it's highly unlikely as you said... I'll be surprised if that thing even gets off the ground.....

by the way if you don't mind my asking: what's your friend doing???

I don't think the Yak-38 Forger goes faster than the speed of sound. I remember reading the freestyle was the first.

If the Millenium Falcon you're talking about is the same as the one in Star Wars it's highly unlikely as you said... I'll be surprised if that thing even gets off the ground.....

by the way if you don't mind my asking: what's your friend doing???

hahahahahaha...I think I just peed my pants a little bit.

I'll be surprised if that thing even gets off the ground.....

Didn't luke skywalker have the exact same reaction to it?

I think it went along the lines of: "What a piece of junk".

I hope we all REALLY know that a parsec is a distance, not a measure of time...

The length of a parsec is about 3.262 light-years. I remember learning that in school & the "Kessel Run" line popped into my head. Got a stern look from Mr. Thein for giggling to myself at George Lucas' screw-up.

Mr. Lucas messed up when he wrote that line. But one of the SW book authors sort-of fixed it when he made the "Kessel Run" kind of an obstacle course around/between black holes. So the Falcon may not be the fastest ship, but it's really good at navigation. LOL I guess that could get you there faster...

ok, Star Wars geek mode off...

Edited by RunsWithScissors

everyone knows that in our galaxy a parsec is a distance.

But in the Correllian sector, a parsec is actually a time increment....where did you go to school? Sheesh!

You never heard of the Millenium Falcon? She'll make .5 past light speed, she's fast enough for you old man!

everyone knows that in our galaxy a parsec is a distance.

But in the Correllian sector, a parsec is actually a time increment....where did you go to school? Sheesh!

The Ford Galaxy, of course...

It's fairly close to the C-5A Galaxy...

Yes but if it was even REMOTELY possible it would have definitely been designed by now..

And besides, the streamlined design of a modern jetfighter or a sportscar looks FAR MORE ADVANCED than that of the Millenium Falcon, and they look far better suited for high speeds (but not warp speeds of course)

Edited by Tomcat_ace

I don't think the Yak-38 Forger goes faster than the speed of sound. I remember reading the freestyle was the first.

Not so... theboth the Yak-38 'Forger' and the Yak-141 'Freestyle' were designed to meet the Russian Navy's requirement for a V/STOL supersonic fighter for service on helicopter carriers like the 'Kiev' class ...

the Yak-38 protoype was completed in April 1970, and its first flight was on January 15th 1971..

Whereas, the Yak-141 project was initiated in 1975 and its first flight was on March 9 1987..

I think the Freestyle was also designed to replace the 'Forger' due to the mediocre performance of the latter...

Edited by Tomcat_ace