Sign in to follow this  
Kodiak

Fix for AmokFloo's Tornado CTD's

Hello,

Open the tornado_data.ini file from AmokFloo's Tornado with notepad and search for the [rudder] section!

Then REPLACE the whole rudder section with this

[Rudder]

SystemType=CONTROL_SURFACE

InputName=YAW_CONTROL

ReverseInput=TRUE

MaxDeflection=10.0

MinDeflection=-10.0

CDdc=0.0144

Cydc=0.2777

Cldc=-0.0055

Cndc=-0.1367

CldcAlphaTableNumData=15

CldcAlphaTableDeltaX=4.00

CldcAlphaTableStartX=-28.00

CldcAlphaTableData=-12.433,-10.883,-9.281,-7.632,-5.947,-4.233,-2.498,-0.751,1.000,2.746,4.478,6.189,7.870,9.512,11.108

CndcAlphaTableNumData=15

CndcAlphaTableDeltaX=4.00

CndcAlphaTableStartX=-28.00

CndcAlphaTableData=0.869,0.902,0.930,0.953,0.972,0.986,0.996,1.000,1.000,0.995,0.985,0.970,0.950,0.926,0.897

ControlRate=5.0

MaxControlSpeed=180

RotationAxis=Z-Axis

ModelNodeName=rudder

ReverseModelOrientation=TRUE

Then save and go fly!

The game should not crash to desktop anymore now when using the rudder!

Best regards, Kodiak.

Edited by Kodiak

Guest Saganuay82

Whats wrong with it that you have to fix it? I just downloaded and tried it. Works fine.

A lot of people were having CTDs with rudder inputs with this Tornado. THere is another thread somewhere with details.

FastCargo

Thank you, Kodiak! Was having crashes all the time. Just did a series of complete rudder rolls on take off without a hitch. Really looking forward to Florian's new F-3 now! Great work. Thanks so much.

This is what's great about this community.

Heck

Glad to see it fixed. I had run out of ideas, because the problem didn´t occured to me.

Good work Kodiak!

Greets

Florian

Isn't that the funniest darned thing?

I chortled heartily about it earlier today!

Cheers Kodiak, gonna check it out in the morning, sounds like a winner thus far.

:good:

Great work, Kodiak. Florian, you were on the right track, it looks like you just needed to crunch the numbers some more.

I have a couple more issues with the handling of this plane though, un-commanded left roll and what I consider to be excessive pitch-up authority compared with other planes I have in the game. It stalls in a heartbeat with only the gentlest of pulls on the stick. Any chance you could look at some more parts of the data.ini for a clue?

Hello,

Open the tornado_data.ini file from AmokFloo's Tornado with notepad and search for the [rudder] section!

Then REPLACE the whole rudder section with this

Thanks! I was being driven crazy by this.

It stalls in a heartbeat with only the >gentlest of pulls on the stick. Any chance you could look at some more parts of the data.ini for a clue?

Hmmm, I'm not so sure that modeling this (F.3) Tornado to stall so quickly with a tiny pull on the stick is so inaccuate. It (F.3) was known to be almost useless in a dogfight and an almost stand-in as a "there is nothing else" sort of aircraft (F-14 was too expensive for the Brits).

It was, I believe, meant to be developed as an extremely long range patrol interceptor over the northern approaches to knock down russky bombers before they hit the UK or Nato.

I remember, a study sim on the tornado a few years ago...and it had the same fast stall and useless dogfighting capabilities.

It also has a swingwing design, which in this case, I remember reading, was not designed for dogfighting in any sense of the word (unlike the F-14)...just high speed, low level work.

I suspect that if it is modeled any better in the stall, that it will be overmodeled. It was a pig I believe. I think that AmokFloo might just have modeled this right on and that it might have the best Tornado flight model out there now (no insults intended at all to anyone [i appreciate your work immensely]). I have flown the Mig-17 (in aerobatics) and the Cessna Citation, but am certainly no expert on the Tornado.

During desert storm, it (F.3 with two air forces) was not allowed anywhere near the action....anyone have any input on any of this...?

Thanks,

Just checking in to say it works both hunky and dory in my WoE install, which is where it was CTD'ing.

No need to pop it into NF2, as it already worked there. Odd.

:good:

I get a CTD when I go to an external view...

any thoughts?

I get a CTD when I go to an external view...

any thoughts?

Are you using this tweak of the flightengine.ini?

[GraphicsSettings]

ZBufferDepth=24

MaxVertexCount=16384

MaxIndexCount=32768

MaxTextureCount=16384

MaxModelType=2048

MaxMeshPerScene=2048

MaxModelPerScene=4096

MaxLightPerScene=1024

AspectRatio=1.333333

MinPixelSize=1.0

This, combined with Kodiak's rudder data.ini fix given above, cured any problems I had with this model.