Sign in to follow this  
BUFF

USAF suspends some F-15 operations

personally I am counting down the seconds until Moseley gets the hell out of the USAF and stops ruining it...he is as bad/worse than McPeak.

no one could be that bad!

:blink:

Well, it depends what you want it to do. There's no question it will have superior range/detectability thanks to the larger array/power/sensitivity, so for detecting stealthy cruise missiles and similar missions it would be better.

However, in a dogfight I'd take a 22, and I'd also prefer one if I was flying over enemy ADA. :wink:

yea. for just work as a long range interceptor the F-15 would be better because it has both better range and more powerful radar.

but for mixing it up - the Raptor is the beast to be putting into the fleur de li's.

:yes:

dont forget...Moseley still has 2 years remaining...just compare things McPeak did to what Moseley has done (then if not convinced, add in things he was blatantly stopped from doing like turning ACC in the "King Command" with all other commands working for it)

he just needs to rename Reg's from AFI to something equally ghey and go ahead with his MAJCOM plan and the two could be clones...except for Moseley's gut that looks like he his hiding Alaska

no one could be that bad!

:blink:

Yes he is, Mosley makes McPeak look like a saint. Its going to be a long 2 years...

- but will any of us be left by then? he cut 22,000 a couple of years ago and is fast approaching his 40,000 more cuts...then when one guestimates how many will jump once the full impact of loosing 70,000 brothers hits and the TDY-rate continues to climb...it is going to be 1996 all over again

- I like his "focus on fitness" despite his bulbous frame

- How about the stupid new dress blues, all after he insisted on having a poll, then took the 2% option (basically he chose what he wanted even though a full 98% polled did not like it)

That's the problem when guys reach that high...they become politicans instead of leaders.

And God forbid you have the cojones to tell it like it is.

I remember when I was in the Bone, the WG/CC of Barksdale (mid 90s) basically told ACC that because of all the McPeak cutbacks, they could not support the SIOP.

He was gone in a week. So much for trying to get support from above.

FastCargo

sad, but too true

Well I can tell you this if they offer early out and pay you to do so, and if the price is right I am out. Can you believe for once it would be better to be in the US Army? Ask my wife she can attest to that.

USAF guys can whine all they want... serving in the USN during its best days with max funding and manpower still looks like a gulag compared to serving in the USAF on its worst days.

I caught the last dying gasps of the Reagan mega-Navy era and saw the full effect of the post cold war draw down during my service from 1989 to 1997. I know a lot of USAF people were pink slipped in that same era and dumped into an economy that didn't want or need them (i.e. airlines were and still are downsizing), but quite a few sailors went that same route. Just as bad or worse, the ones remaining in service have had to bear arduous sea duty rotations that make TDY in the USAF look like paid vacation.

But USAF and USN aside, the guys I feel bad for at this point are the Army and Marine men that keep rotating to Iraq and Afghanistan. The stress and dangers I faced during submarine duty are miniscule compared to the risks and actual losses suffered the past several years. They are the ones truly bearing the burden.

USAF guys can whine all they want... serving in the USN during its best days with max funding and manpower still looks like a gulag compared to serving in the USAF on its worst days.

I caught the last dying gasps of the Reagan mega-Navy era and saw the full effect of the post cold war draw down during my service from 1989 to 1997. I know a lot of USAF people were pink slipped in that same era and dumped into an economy that didn't want or need them (i.e. airlines were and still are downsizing), but quite a few sailors went that same route. Just as bad or worse, the ones remaining in service have had to bear arduous sea duty rotations that make TDY in the USAF look like paid vacation.

But USAF and USN aside, the guys I feel bad for at this point are the Army and Marine men that keep rotating to Iraq and Afghanistan. The stress and dangers I faced during submarine duty are miniscule compared to the risks and actual losses suffered the past several years. They are the ones truly bearing the burden.

Streak no offense but you have been out for awhile. They way it was 10 years ago and now is night and day. While the Marines and the Army have taken the brunt of the war as far as personnel KIA, I get highly offended when it is implied that the USAF is not pulling its weight. Because you would be dead wrong. I have lost count the amount of personnel who are now on their 5th and 6th tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. My brother in law did 4 in Afghanistan alone. Oh and they aren't all going over there doing their jobs they came in and was trained to do....no, we are doing convoys with the Army, patrols with the Marines. Its s big s**t sandwich and the USAF is eating right along with everyone else. Each service has its bad somewhere, but what makes up for it is good leadership. I could work in a gulag all day if I had good leadership. That's what makes the difference and that is what sparky and I are getting at.

CW2. Wells>

Yep, and some analyst basically saying "nah, the AF is BSing Congress to get more F22, just use some duct tape and they're good for another 20 years".

Let's rant against politicians and bean counter killing pretty planes and worse, risking soldier's lives in a quest for power or perceived savings.

Correct me if I am wrong, but an Air Force tour is only six to nine months right? I understand what you are getting at Dave, but the bottom line is when it comes to combat tours the Army and the Marines get it the toughest. Tours that are supposed to last 12 months get stretched to 16 months, guys are coming home for two months then getting re-deployed for 12-16 months.

At the end of the day we all have BS to deal with, whether it be Army, Navy, Air Force or Marine. All you can do is suck it up and drive on.

All depends on your job on how long you stay. We got people doing year tours over there, coming back for 2 to 6 months and doing another year over there. It sucks the Marines and Army are having to do 16 months over there.

It depends on the job is right...my tour ended up being 9 months living with the Army. The Marines I knew were doing 7-month tours, not 16...and not all of the Army is doing 15 either, and by their own account, still less than half of the Army has been in sand other than the beach...here on Okinawa well over 90% of the Army dudes have slick right sleeves, and you know what that means

my favorite is when people say we dont need an AF because they arent doing anything! How quickly they forget...what about Kosovo? Where was the Army then? You cant look at your watch and determine national policy...resist the microwave-instant gratification mentality so prevalent in modern American and think long term (which, is not a setting on a microwave oven, by the way)

cheers

"Lobbying for new jets

The disclosure of the cracks comes amid intense Air Force lobbying for the purchase of additional new fighter jets. The Air Force wants to replace its aging F-15s with 200 more F-22 Raptors beyond the 183 already approved by Congress and the Defense Department. Senior Defense Department officials have not agreed that the additional planes are needed or supported their purchase. The F-22s, which cost $132 million each, are manufactured by Lockheed Martin, a Bethesda-based firm."

- by the way...you two that rolled your eyes and said I was out of line...I like Paulaner Beer and you can pm me for my mailing address

my favorite is when people say we dont need an AF because they arent doing anything! How quickly they forget...what about Kosovo? Where was the Army then? You cant look at your watch and determine national policy...resist the microwave-instant gratification mentality so prevalent in modern American and think long term (which, is not a setting on a microwave oven, by the way)

cheers

They forget we are doing 100% of the heavy airlift. 80% to 90% of all the A2G support of the troops. Not to mention how every time I see and a soldier with a combat patch and they see that I am AF, they are thanking me in some way or another for air support they got in a bad situation. I told them that it wasn't me, but they wanted to thank someone in the AF. To re confirm you sparky, I talked to my wife (She is an Army SFC) and she said its very few over there that are doing 15 months. Its certain specialties that are getting long tours but it sure the hell isn't all of them. But the USAF isn't doing anything. Whatever. I am going to close this because now I am really irritated.