• Announcements

• Erik

26 September - Maintenance Notification   09/21/2024

CombatACE.com will be offline this upcoming Thursday morning, September 26, 2024. The duration of this event will be 4-5 hours. Our website will be unavailable and return an error during that time. Maintenance of our equipment is unavoidable, and this downtime will allow the opportunity to replace worn and damaged fans, power supply units, and thermal paste throughout all our equipment. Thank you for reading our maintenance advisory.
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bounder

Shoot for the Star's

Guest Bounder

Let's see who can set a record rules as follows

A. no modified engine ini files

B. no doctored/altered pics

C.have fun

Now to set the bar

post-17849-1202945458_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bounder

Guest Bounder

No ammo, no weapons :biggrin:

good work I forgot to dump ammo , we use to have these contest in L-3 Raptor by Novalogic

Let's see who can set a record rules as follows

A. no modified engine ini files

Damn, I guess that disqualifies my F-104R model.... :wink:

dbshk4.jpg

Guest Bounder
Damn, I guess that disqualifies my F-104R model.... :wink:

dbshk4.jpg

was it a mod open to general public? If so it's ok. :good:

And please post your ALT. under pic as sum are hard to read TY

Edited by Bounder

was it a mod open to general public? If so it's ok. :good:

And please post your ALT. under pic as sum are hard to read TY

No, that F-104 was just part of an experiment how high an aircraft could go in-game.

I gave up after I managed to get up to 2000000 ft. :wink:

For more information see this thread (link)

funny, can't see any stars here....

there was this old flight sim, sometime in the late nineties, when you reached a certain altitude above the cloud layer, you could see this beautiful starry sky above the last remnants of the atmosphere. you really felt you were leaving our old planet and heading for the stars. can't remember what it was. darn

The F-4A's and F-4B's broke many speed, climb and altitude records. I'm trying to replicate them using a stock untweaked F-4B but I would like to shed the pylons. Is this possible?

Yep, just go to the loadout screen and unselect everything (including no ammo). You'll end up with a 'slick' aircraft.

FastCargo

Modern Combat Aircraft No. 1 by Bill Gunston has a short but brilliant chapter on these record breaking flights including High Jump, Sageburner, Skyburner and Top Flight.

Project Top Flight in 1959 saw a pre-production prototype F4H-1 (F-4A) attain 30,041m (98,560ft) but during Project High Jump a production F4H-1 (F-4B) not only reached the time to height target of 30,000m (98,425ft) in a new record of 230 seconds but soared past the 100,000ft mark too!

As I'm typing my stripped down F-4B (no weapons, 50% fuel but with wing pylons) is having a crack at replicating this!

RESULT

Only 24,600m from doing 1000km/h at 12,700m and zooming up. A cracking bit of fun!

Edited by Spinners

TopFlight01.jpg

I couldn't get rid of the pylons but here's my stock F-4B on the level just before the zoom part (I didn't have time to snap the apogee shot).

Still can't shift the pylons! So let me try 25% fuel and just the pilot!

TopFlight02.jpg

RESULT

It did just creep over the 25,000m mark (my picture shows just after the apogee).

Great fun. Any thoughts on the optimum speed/altitude at which to haul back on the stick?

Edited by Spinners

Guest Bounder
No, that F-104 was just part of an experiment how high an aircraft could go in-game.

I gave up after I managed to get up to 2000000 ft. :wink:

For more information see this thread (link)

Well hey maybe we should have to classes "stock",and "unlimited". The only stipulation being that you stated what you did so others may try to duplicate it,and challenge you attempt. far enough to all? That said Gentlemen start your engines :good: :good:

So for the unlimited class just post your mods to the ini/data files.

Edited by Bounder

Still trying to replicate the 1962 Project 'High Jump' records set by production F-4B's. This time I went for 1000km/h at 13,500m before pulling up. Result was 25,135m - still 5,000m short.

F-4BHIGHJUMP.jpg

I think the problem is that we can't get the same speeds on the level that the 'Top Flight' and 'High Jump' guys did.

The time to 30,000m set in 1962 was actually 371 seconds and not the 230 seconds I mentioned earlier. (230 seconds was the time taken to pass the 25,000m mark set by soon to be astronaunt John Young).

Edited by Spinners

F-4KHIGHJUMP.jpg

Now that just ain't right! Stock F-4K on the way back down after going through 35,000m at which point it all went haywire and I lost the F6 view.

Yes, the Spey-enginned Phantoms had more thrust (20,500lbs x 2) but they were fatter, heavier and draggier.

Guest Bounder

from the look of your burners seems you hit the map limits as they were at a 90 degree from your AC nice job. :good:

from the look of your burners seems you hit the map limits as they were at a 90 degree from your AC nice job. :good:

Is that what it was? I thought it was just some stratospheric effect.

Wow...this was the most I could manage in the mighty Foxbat...

What? Just 70000 ft? I guess you need to try harder....

post-22093-1203168612_thumb.jpg

95000 ft with a MiG-25PD. :biggrin:

What? Just 70000 ft? I guess you need to try harder....

95000 ft with a MiG-25PD. :biggrin:

Somebody use the U-2 and blow his doors off! :biggrin:

Yeah I lose my pit at 115,000 in any a/c i get that high.

Had the F22 to 116,000 + and the Talon to 140,000 +