Sign in to follow this  
Fates

HD-Day

If true (afterall Reuters seem to be reporting a rumour?) its about time it was brought to an end. There was no way back for HD DVD really with only Paramount staying HD DVD exclusive as Universal did not resign any exclusivity deals. Wal-Mart were going to stop stocking HD DVD players after May in favour of supporting Blu-Ray and Netflix also announced they were only going to be stocking Blu-Ray in future. People keep talking about digital downloads but until the network infrastructure around the world improves it will struggle to catch on. With hi-def TV's now becomming a lot cheaper the market will grow and a single hi-def DVD format is needed so consumers can make a decison on their home entertainment.

IMHO, blu-ray was the clear choice from the start... any features that HD had over it could be (and probably are) being added to it (i.e. interactive content).

The whole point of HD is... HD, and blu-ray's higher potential capacity allows for uncompressed 1080p, HD-DVD did not.

Now the question is: how long is blu-ray going to be around.

VHS has been around forever and hasn't fully died yet.

DVD is much younger and already on the way out.

Should I even bother to get a blu-ray player?

I have Netflix and I have a 1080p 46" LCD TV, so I guess I need one to finally realize the full benefit of my TV.

But I wasn't buying until certain of which format to get... guess I need to start researching players.

I bought one of each, but I was smart about it and only paid $200 for my HD player and only have a few movies right now (although I'm waiting for my 5 free...Toshiba better still send me those!).

I paid $450 for the Bluray player, the first 1.1 released by Panasonic back in December. It's not 2.0, but I don't care about that. I'm not going to be hooking up my players to the internet any time in the future, the wiring is a PITA. They can put a wireless adapter in there if it's so important.

My HD player DOES have an ethernet port on it, but it's not connected.

Bah, the only new-gen disc player I'm gonna get is either the super-multi-LG drive for PC which can read Blu-Ray AND HD-DVD, as well as normal DVD-/+Rs and -/+RWs as well as CDs -Rs etc... or a multi-disc player for TV which will also be able to play both HD DVD AND Blu-Ray AND DVDs... but both preferably zone-cracked... Cause to have Zones now that the format of HD is the same for all zones (1920 x 1080), there is no reason to keep up with the zone divisions...

Should I even bother to get a blu-ray player?

I have Netflix and I have a 1080p 46" LCD TV, so I guess I need one to finally realize the full benefit of my TV.

But I wasn't buying until certain of which format to get... guess I need to start researching players.

Well good point really - its not on my list - and I certainly wont be rushing out to buy a Blu-ray player until its been around for a while and the price has bottomed out.

Now blue ray on a PS3 - through a friends 28" HD Widescreen TFT TV (about £2000) looks amazing I must admit.

But then again my current TV - a Phillips 25" CRT - that cost £20 off a mate is never gonna be great.

I Have a VHS/DVD combi player - only VHS records though because standard DVD recorders seem to expensive still and there are too many formats - and I have 2 PCs that can do this.

Bought my first DVD film in 2004 and that was half price - so now as predicted my DVD and VHS collection is a worthless pile of plastic - worth about 50p each (if that) at a car boot sale!

but then again its worthless pile of plastic anyway I suppose :biggrin:

Well....funny.....

TOSHIBA DENIES IT

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=33204

Odd that they denied it yet confirmed today they are cancelling HD-DVD production -Toshiba's own web-site press release

The 360 Blu-Ray add-on is just a rumour and one met with some scepticism from this site: http://xboxfamily.com/xf/index.php?option=...09&Itemid=1

Edited by Revvin

The zone thing is likely a major reason so many studios didn't want to go HD, especially Disney, inventor of the "vault" to artificially increase sales of their films.

I bought 2 separate players because it was cheaper than a combo and the combos weren't rated as highly. I had the minimal space needed to put it in the cabinet.