Sign in to follow this  
SayethWhaaaa

Oz Defence reviews...

A couple of interesting articles that showed up on news.com.au

Those stinking bloody Seapsprites :tongue:

and

SuperDuds jk :smile:

The new government has described the current defence acquisitions situation as a "nightmare" whilst the shadow defence minister says it's not and that he should be grateful for a quality defence procurement program. The way I see it, if you're paying Aus$100 million + for Seaprite helicopters that are not new builds, but refurbished airframes built in the 60s, you've got problems.

These stories come in the wake of statements by the new administration of a complete review of defence procurement procedures after there quite vocal concerns were raised about the lack of suitability for some the ADF’s new toys ranging from the M1 Abrahms tanks to the F/A-18Fs designated to replace our F-111Cs in the long range interdictor/Strike roles. Also, there’s been a lot of talk in defence circles about the previous government’s lack of understanding about the needs of the ADF, about the lack of due process in procurement (cronyism, lack of competitive tenders cited specifically) of military hardware with the previous government’s focus on cost and ‘our relationship’ with the US and it’s defence industry. As though cancelling inappropriate defence contracts would somehow damage our relationship with the US… go figure.

Interesting to see that the new government here IS actually reviewing the situation, not just paying lip service. Who’d have thought…

Only downside is that this also means that the two flattops for the RAN are also under review. :sad: And here I was hoping to see the day when the navy had carriers again…

Aw... I think the F-18F would be a great buy tbh - 1 plane with 10 x AIM120C-7s - sorted!

Getting carriers is a bit of a trend at the mo - an international task force to any trouble spot in the world is the goal I suppose

That's a lot of cash to put up, both for original acquisition and refurb and then for ops in years to come.

That's a lot of cash to put up, both for original acquisition and refurb and then for ops in years to come.

It's scary to think that for that amount of cashmoney, we could have had a fleet of new-build Seahawks or extra NH-90s (or whatever they're called.) I still maintain (despite how much I'd love to see Su-34s in RAAF colours!) that the F-15E would have been the way to go. Hell, even Rafale would be a great second choice. Cost was sited as one reason for not going down the Eagle path... and since we already have a plane called wedgetail, they couldn't figure out another 'eagle' name to apply to it!. AESA was another (apparantly we can ONLY get it through buying the F/A-18F. So what are the Singaporean F-15SGs packing then??)

I couldn't get over the fact that the Dr. Nelson, who's as much a doctor as Dr. Teeth from the Muppets is, was describing the SuperBug as being a "stealthy" plane. I know there's degrees to stealth and that it's RCS has been improved when compared to the legacy Bugs, but stealth is pushing it a bit... That's like saying Amy Winehouse is only "a bit" of a skank... :biggrin:

Imagine RAN with a Kitty Hawk carrier... :nyam:

Apparantly the RAN was looking at buying a Forrestal class back in the late 60s. That would have been an interesting what if...

The Super Bug is likely stealthier than any other planes except for the B-2, F-117, F-22, and F-35. Compared to planes like the Typhoon and Rafale it may be a wash, I don't know, they tend to keep those specific numbers classified. :wink:

There are F-16s with AESA too, you know! :biggrin:

There are F-16s with AESA too, you know! :biggrin:

Oh, I dig that there are vipers with AESA, but I don't think the RAAF could seem themselves 'slumming it' in F-16s somehow. :biggrin: There's nothing wrong with the 'pig' that a little RAM coating and duct tape won't fix. :biggrin: They still kicked arse at Red Flag! One a different subject, at one point I had even heard talk from my former colleagues that the Mirage 2000D was being considered until Dassault made it clear that they were looking to shut down the Mirage 2000 production line. That could have been interesting too...

Dassault's problem was everyone wanted the 2000 but no one wanted Rafales. So they decided to force the issue by closing down the line...now nobody is buying French at all!

Dassault's problem was everyone wanted the 2000 but no one wanted Rafales. So they decided to force the issue by closing down the line...now nobody is buying French at all!

What about Airbus...wait no one wants those fat whales either.

I hear that Libya might be getting up to 24 Rafales in their talks with the Frogs. Apparantly there's a massive modernisation program in the works and the French are cashing in big. This month's AFM has an article in it too, I think... might be last month's.

I don't think Libya is the breakthrough they were looking for...