Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

Libyan update, update

I'll see what I can do for the other ruins. Anthing it Scily I should be aware of? Other than Joe's Resturant atop Mt Etna, Home of the World Famous Volcano Chili???

Wrench

kevin stein

Sicily is full of ruins! You could add Agrigento, in central south of sicily, (one of the biggest and well preserved greek ruin site in the world. And in trapani too, on a hill north of the airbase, called ERICE. in Marsala, along the coast and south of th airbase there is a WE radar facility., and in Comiso quite east of trapani there was a cruise missile base.

Speaking of which, anyone go into Google Earth lately, and found Tripoli International blocked out with huge white square with red X in it???

Really weird!!! -- my curisoity is piqued....what's going on down there????

Wrench

kevin stein

Really weird, yesterday I look for some images of Lybians airbases on Google Earth and Tripoli International was OK. And this image don't already be in the cache, since I never search this images here at work.

The Easter Eggs would be my ususal ones - signs with 'interesting' things on them. I definatley need to make one with Mommar's picture on it.

The others, well, mostly they say something silly.

And here another pisser....we've had this little jem for almost 5 years

libya_new-tower.jpg

Never known what that item "airtower" was, as it never had it's 'name' defined in ANY types ini. So, we now have a largish-civilianish control tower. You can see grumpatomus' radar dome in background. Several of the airbases get this or wingwinner's tower H1. Many are also left as the stock red/white one (those bmps are needed for the radardome). Radar domes are cropping up like, well, mushrooms! I'm even thinking that I got them to 'radiate' with some data ini edits (and all set as terrain objects, NEVER as GroundObjects)

I 'rediscovered' this little boogger whilst trying to find which item is the microwave tower (that's been sorted too). It's part of Mitch's Factory Place. And always has been!

I'll try and add some ruins for eye candy, now that I know where to look/place them. Like the airfields, they may not be exactly in their Real Life positions, but...they'll be something there. I just wish we had some other items to use. All we really got is the "temple1" and "oblesik". Plus the Karnak buildings in Gepard's Isreal/Suez terrains, but that a little too over the top!

We could really use more 3d items to dress the place(s) up. What I'd really like is an airbase with 2 parrellel runways...that would make some of the places more like Real Life . I know I've seen differing runways; but just don't remember where!

One of the things I really like doing terrains over anything else, is the fact we have real people that've either been there, or live there. Hence, the fun I had with the SoCal map.

Wrench

kevin stein

PS Note to Stick: btw, Pune is just within the 80km limit on Gepard's Kashmir map. Yeah, I been looking at that one too. There's an awful lot of really cool target areas that can be added to that.....that can be a really good map for an Indo-Pak scenario. Just needs some time to get things placed.

Aye

The Easter Eggs would be my ususal ones - signs with 'interesting' things on them. I definatley need to make one with Mommar's picture on it.

The others, well, mostly they say something silly.

Moammar's posters?!

You knocked the right door! I've a good collection of all the regime's propaganda stuff in the streets. Are you interested?

As for others, the problem is the idea I have will be fun for people that lived there, but others... : that is the emplacement of some much-loved Egyptian Fast-Food chain; Tripoli's most appreciated bakery, where I lived :biggrin: ...

If "the colonel" have had the habit of living every time at the same time, you could have add his tents. But as he's always on the move, it seems complicated

Oh, just thought about one! Do you know that the very first country USA was at war with after their independance was Libya (sort of, as Libya did not exist... They actually were at war against the Bey of Tripoli, that used to do some piracy in Meditterranean sea)? One sight can be added in the shores of Tripoli, where Philadelphia was sunk. Eventually, the US won the war, but I do not remember how and when, guess I have to re-open some books.

Edited by Emp_Palpatine

As long as I can get them shrunk down to fit that little sign post, hell yess I'll take 'em!!! (their size is approx 2/3 of 256x256, sine I'm only using one side of the poster board thingy)

Zip them scukers up and shoot 'em over to me...!!!! I'll take whatever ya got. I'm going to make an open appeal in a new thread for 3d moddlers to create some more items -- LNG spheres, large billboards (say 10x5 meter) -- just some nice things to dress up the eye candy.

kjstein AT ca DOT rr DOT com

There's signs all over the DS, ASW and SoCal maps. So what's a few more in Libya??? :dntknw: They litteraly take minutes to make and just a little longer to place.

You speak of the Campaign against the Barbary Pirates. As stated in the Marine Corps Hymn. Just saw something on it on History Channel (or Military Channel) not more than a few weeks ago. Marched overland to attack the city, etc.

Wrench

kevin stein

Okay, I will zip a small selection and send it to you.

As for the war, yeah, it's those barbary wars, when the Marines did kicked the ass of the Pasha of Tripoli. LIbyans often end the story after the beginning, after they sized USS Philadelphia. :wink:

Guest pfunkmusik

Not to be a pest, but is there any update on the progess?

When do I get to hunt for ol' Mo's tent?

pfunk

It's progressing, right now i'm just finished some eye candy and finalizing some object placements ... building some semi-sheltered harbors at Tripoli, Benghazi and Siracusa. I'd like to do one at Tunis, but the terrain slope to the water is too excessive. So, maybe just a few ships in the bay. And adding a few of the expected 'Easter Eggs'...hehehee....just you all wait!!!

As to Mommar's tent...no one knows exactly where it is anyway!

Actually, I was fiddling with some stuff here at the site, and several of the new planes that came out, so I kinda got delayed. In reality, it's done... just need to finish off the readme to my own high standards. The "Notes" section is quite extensive.

Very soon, I promise!!!

Wrench

kevin stein

Guest pfunkmusik

Awesome!