Sign in to follow this  
Guest pfunkmusik

Copyright Issues?

Guest pfunkmusik

If I wanted to take a few tracks from my collection of 80s trash and convert them into .wav files and replace my menu music, would making that a part of my downloaded campaign violate copyright law?

It's not the whole song, just a clip from it.

pfunk

We had this come up some time ago and most of us agreed not to go down that road because some record company might gets its underwear in a bunch.

Guest pfunkmusik
We had this come up some time ago and most of us agreed not to go down that road because some record company might gets its underwear in a bunch.

OK, that's cool. I guess that means that no one gets to hear the opening bars of Alice Cooper's "Poison" as their Mainscreen music.

pfunk

Edited by pfunkmusik

Isn't international limit set at 4 bars or something maximum?

So long as you are not deriving monetary benefit and are not claiming the song as your own work... hey Ill be your advocate!

Besides circulation among members of a club is considered private.

Hint read the fine print.

Edited by Stick

Guest pfunkmusik

Why risk it? If someone really wants it, they'll do it themselves. I had one finished in about 10 minutes.

pfunk

If it's available from the band's website for free download (as many bands are doing these days) you may be alright, again, assuming you're not trying to take credit for, make money from or alter the music from the original authors...

...but then again...

Not too sure on this. Might have to ask one of my law student buddies about this one.

Planning on law school. My opinion would be as long as you are not making money, it would fall under the category or fair use. Record companies would disagree, but I still believe in consumer rights.

As long as you're not making money for it I expect it's ok.

Hey, it's a promo for the "arteest's" material. Might rack up a few extra album sales and royalties for em.

If in doubt, I'd just make my own...I do.

As I said the back office had talked about this awhile ago and we are going to err on the side of caution.