Sign in to follow this  
Piecemeal

The Case Of The Vanishing Carrier

I've been scratching my head in regard to a rather irritating problem I've encountered. Hopefully somebody out there can point me in the right direction...

Yesterday I added a carrier to my SFG campaigns by instruction from Dave's 'How To Add A Carrier To SFG/WOE' file in the knowledge base contained on this site.

Everything was perfect. Take off was smooth as silk - the mission went according to plan - until my return to base, when lo and behold, yes you've guessed it, the carrier had vanished and was nowhere to be seen in any direction.

I double checked all changes and entries and even referred back to the knowledge base and double checked everything step-by-step.

It's now gone past 11:45pm here in Ireland and I'm way overdue some shut-eye, so I thought I'd post this in the hope that somebody might have a solution or maybe this has been a common hiccup to this upgrade. Suggestions anyone?

Thanks in advance.....

I've been scratching my head in regard to a rather irritating problem I've encountered. Hopefully somebody out there can point me in the right direction...

Yesterday I added a carrier to my SFG campaigns by instruction from Dave's 'How To Add A Carrier To SFG/WOE' file in the knowledge base contained on this site.

Everything was perfect. Take off was smooth as silk - the mission went according to plan - until my return to base, when lo and behold, yes you've guessed it, the carrier had vanished and was nowhere to be seen in any direction.

I double checked all changes and entries and even referred back to the knowledge base and double checked everything step-by-step.

It's now gone past 11:45pm here in Ireland and I'm way overdue some shut-eye, so I thought I'd post this in the hope that somebody might have a solution or maybe this has been a common hiccup to this upgrade. Suggestions anyone?

Thanks in advance.....

I've never had a carrier actually vanish. They can be hard to find sometimes, though. Did you get a vector to homeplate from Red Crown and follow that?

I've never had a carrier actually vanish. They can be hard to find sometimes, though. Did you get a vector to homeplate from Red Crown and follow that?

I agree with malibu43. It is not easy find carrier sometimes. Carrier is not in its start position when I coming back from mission. If I am lost, I give order to my wingmans for returning to base, than I follow them. They find carrier allways :haha:

But you can try find carrier with F7 key, if it is there for sure.

Edited by kukulino

I've had this happen often myself. You'll also note that your wingmen are right there with you and as you pass WP8....poof, they're gone too.

What I do which seems to work is after I get the mission complete message from Red Crown, or upon passing WP5 I cycle the WP to 7 and then back to 6. By doing that the carrier is alwayse there unless I forget to do that. I don't know why it happens, but that fixes the vanishing carrier and wingmen in my game.

Alt+N should bring you close to the carrier.

I've had this happen often myself. You'll also note that your wingmen are right there with you and as you pass WP8....poof, they're gone too.

What I do which seems to work is after I get the mission complete message from Red Crown, or upon passing WP5 I cycle the WP to 7 and then back to 6. By doing that the carrier is alwayse there unless I forget to do that. I don't know why it happens, but that fixes the vanishing carrier and wingmen in my game.

Excellent stuff, drdoyo! A perfect solution to a minor glitch. I hereby declare the case of the missing carrier solved.

Thanks again bud :clapping:

I'm one of the few that likes to hand fly it all the way Michael :biggrin: I had to find another solution.

I'm one of the few that likes to hand fly it all the way Michael :biggrin: I had to find another solution.

Welcome to the long haul club ....... :flyer:

Change in the carriername_data.ini the speed to 0.

The carrier will be still and remain where you place it.

Another high seas mystery for you folks. Drdoyo's excellent solution works just fine when followed; provided you've got up to and including two aircraft in your flight (yourself & a wingman). The only problem lies when you have three or more aircraft in your flight; and yes, you're back to square one. That sweet, sweet mother ship that we all long to return to has once again disappeared.

Any suggestions out there folks?

PS: I HAVE tried searching for it, both visually and with my ground search radar. It's a definite disappearance

Hmmm, strange. I regularly fly with a 4 ship. What campaigns are we talking about?

Maybe it was th final countdown storm it went through and warped back to WW2, lol.

Hmmm, strange. I regularly fly with a 4 ship. What campaigns are we talking about?

All my campaign timelines have been edited; Quick Sand starts in December 1968, Rattlesnake starts in 1976 and Desert Thunder in 1986. I always thought the campaign start dates were a little too close together and didn't span enough of the ultimate jet period timeline.

I'm currently playing 'Quick Sand' where I'm limited to a 2 aircraft formation. Maybe it's just a case of a simple .ini tweak but I'm not sure where to start since I followed the instructions to the letter and don't want to screw things up

I think I may have this one figured out...

I had the same problem and realized that in my campaign_Data.ini, the carrier didn't have a tour that covered the date of my mission. If you're playing a campaign, go to the carriers and make sure the start and end dates for one of the tours listed covers the date of your mission...

I think that might work...

Was something like this seen, just before the ship vanished:

F3OFFHZ3Y4ET9K5EO1.medium.jpg

:wink:

Wrench

kevin stein

Was something like this seen, just before the ship vanished:

:biggrin: Final countdown eh? Just watched it the other day, it's got great footage of all kinds of different navy birds!

I strongly recommend this old flick.