Sign in to follow this  
Rambler 1-1

Post-Apocolyptic Society

Well, I just got back from seeing Wall-E in the theater (with my 8 year old brother! I'm not THAT young!), and I actually enjoyed it. Not Just because of the cool animation, innovative storyline, dynamic characters or great ending, but because of the whole idea behind the movie. For those of you (most of you) who don't know, it takes place in a bizarre post-apocalyptic world, completely uninhabited by humans because of an overabundance of garbage and an inhospitable atmosphere, both created by humans in the first place.

*******************WARNING: PLOT SPOILER BELOW*********************

The world is, however, populated by a sparse number of robots designed to clean up the planet while the humans live in space in a completely automated spaceship/station designed for the people to live out their lives in absolute luxury. I won't get into details, but the people don't even have to walk, and they all become bloated, obese morons. Anyway, back on earth, you meet one little robot whose job is to compact garbage into little cubes and pile them up. He goes about his business merrily and collects articles of intrest, blissfully unaware of the culture and civilization he is cleaning up after, and of other robots of his type (Waste Allocation Lifter-Loader, Earth class) that have broken down.

That's as far as I'll ruin the plot for you, because I'm talking about the idea behind the story. It sounds like exactly the kind of thing the human race would do to "Restore" the world. Let a fleet of robots take care of the earth's problems for us while we live on, totally carefree. It's not a "Mad Max" type of apocalypse, and it seems pretty close to what might happen to our world in the end, minus the robot that has some strange ability to think for itself and have feelings.

Also, I really enjoyed the movie, it was just as entertaining for me as it was for my brother, and it is much more than just a kids movie. Although most of you would rather shoot yourself in the foot than get cought dead in a "Kids" Disney movie. Grow up!

Hey! I run around in my underoos singing the toys-r-us song all the time, and im 47!

I think we honestly didn't need to know about that one. :blink:

Edited by Rambler 1-1

I think we honestly didn't need to know about that one. :blink:

I just threw up in my mouth... :blink:

Thanks gwar.... :good:

Seriously.

My worst vision of a post-apocolyptic world would be a bunch of middle-aged guys running around in their underoos.

PIXAR movies do not have an age limit.

Rambler::

It sounds like exactly the kind of thing the human race would do to "Restore" the world. Let a fleet of robots take care of the earth's problems for us while we live on, totally carefree. It's not a "Mad Max" type of apocalypse, and it seems pretty close to what might happen to our world in the end, minus the robot that has some strange ability to think for itself and have feelings.

The Gilded Age, ie...gold plated authoritarianism.

I was surprised by the hard concept hiding behind New Zealand's "lite" sci-fi show Cleopatra2525, where the environmental cleanup robots chase humanity into underground hiding. Serious yet funny stories with severe grafix involving a deep underground survival environment, with predictably great "lite sim" women's clothing.

Opening Narrative: 500 years into the future she will enter a world where machines rule the earth. Mankind has been driven under ground. And Cleopatra is about to discover...there's no place like home.

Cleo-1.jpg

I have every Pixar film on DVD, love them all!

To quote my daughter gwar, TMI, TMI. Must...remove...mental...picture...aarrgghh... :blowup:

Great, now my beer tastes funny.

I may have to grow older, but, show me where it says I have to grow up. I've seen all the Disney/Pixar 'Toons. Hell, Ive been watching Disney 'Toons since, uh, er, a long time ago. So, I'm going to see Wall-E this weekend. Of course it's for the grandkids.

C2

Just be aware of the subliminal messages:

Or read this critique: Wall-E opinion

Edited by Roopod