Sign in to follow this  
Fubar512

WoE Shader Effects 1.0

WoE Shader Effects 1.0

INSTALLATION:

Assuming you have WoE (ie., "Wings over Europe"), the process is simple...just extract and place the folder named "Terrain" into the your Wings Over Europe Folder, and you're ready to go.

In all other titles, extract the watereffect.fx and the waternormaldot3 into the Terrain subdirectory of your choice.

In Strike Fighters, that would be "Desert". In Wings over Vietnam, it would be "VietnamSEA. In WoI, it's "IsraelME".

This effect is optimized for use with Brain32's WoE terrain using Cellisnsky's widesky 1.0 mod.

*NOTE*: I cannot guarantee that it will work to everybody's satisfaction with other ThirdWire titles, terrain sets, or environment mods.

KNOWN ISSUES: Cards that lack FULL DX9.0C support, such as ATI Radeon 9x -X1K series and the nVidia GeforceFX(5) series, may experience pixelation issues when close to the "water's" surface. The only workaround is to either turn off the shaders, or to break down and purchase a card that supports DX9.0C.

This effect is all but unusable in Windows Vista, due to its poor DX9 support.

The .FX files contained in the zip archive based on ThirdWire's original's, and re-compiled & debugged using ATI's RenderMonkey.

Fubar512, Thanks for the effects.

I'm wondering about installation, do you mean place the contents of the terrain folder, in the GermanyCE terrain sub-folder or just drop the "Terrain" folder into WOE.

And for VietnamSEA and IsraelME, is it only the two files watereffect.fx and the waternormaldot3, or should I also add the files from the included "Terrain" folder?

Sorry, if this is a dumb question. It just seems like just putting the "Terrain" folder in would not quite work.

Thanks,

TurtleHawk

There's a folder in the .zip archive named "Terrain", simply placing that in WoE's main directory will install the effects. Yes, the plural is intentional, and not a typo :wink:

Worse case scenario:

Take all six files out of the Terrain/GermanyCE folder in the archive and manually extract them to your GermanyCE folder. The GermanyCE_Data.ini that's contained within has shader-specific values for the watermaterial entries, as well as values for each tile that uses water.

Ok, so even if you have a merged WoE/WoV install this will by default only apply to the German terrain unless you make those changes yourself?

Ok, so even if you have a merged WoE/WoV install this will by default only apply to the German terrain unless you make those changes yourself?

If you follow the directions and install in the entire terrain folder, yes. You see, there are six files contained within that folder, one of which is WoE specific.

The terraineffect.ini, farterraineffect.ini, and noisenormaldot3.tga will also work in WoV's VietnamSEA terrain set, but must be manually placed. They imbue the terrain with a "grassy" appearance, when sen up close.

The modified GermanyCE_Data.ini is only for WoE, of course.

Great work on waves!!

KNOWN ISSUES: Cards that lack FULL DX9.0C support, such as ATI Radeon 9x -X1K series and the nVidia GeforceFX(5) series, may experience pixelation issues when close to the "water's" surface.

Did you mean this with "pixelation"?

(I'm using WoV and I have an ATI Mobility Radeon X600 SE)

pixelation? (link)

Is it normal it looks like this? or did I make any mistake?

Edited by sun111

Great work on waves!!

Did you mean this with "pixelation"?

(I'm using WoV and I have an ATI Mobility Radeon X600 SE)

pixelation? (link)

Is it normal it looks like this? or did I make any mistake?

No, that's just a water tile that does not lend itself to using shader effects (because of its color and surface texture). It is one of the reasons that I do not recommend it for anything other than Brain32's WoE terrain under Cellinsky's widesky mod.

To stand out, the effect needs a solid and preferably dark background.

Is see.... Sadly my WOE is 300 km far from me now... I know that for you americans it isn't a far distance but for us italians it's a veeery veeery far one! Here everything is very concentrated ! So I have to wait... thank you anyway!

Is see.... Sadly my WOE is 300 km far from me now... I know that for you americans it isn't a far distance but for us italians it's a veeery veeery far one!

That's roughly the same distance that it is from my home in NJ, to Washington, DC. It's not a pleasant drive, by any means.

That's roughly the same distance that it is from my home in NJ, to Washington, DC. It's not a pleasant drive, by any means.

Well I said that because a year ago I met some guys from Texas and they were surprised of how things seem to be "near" here... well I think I'm going off topic now...

Edited by sun111

question about deep sun in wide sky

This mod is absolutly great and i can`t imagine going back to normal settings, my question is what is this for a line.. seems like the earth ends there and than the sun effect appears some space above the ground?! is it something like clipping?! I`m absolutly sure this is a game issue not Fubars

Well I said that because a year ago I met some guys from Texas and they were surprised of how things seem to be "near" here... well I think I'm going off topic now...

thats because texas is so huge, you can drive across the entire state for 12 hours, and still be in the damn thing.

question about deep sun in wide sky

This mod is absolutly great and i can`t imagine going back to normal settings, my question is what is this for a line.. seems like the earth ends there and than the sun effect appears some space above the ground?! is it something like clipping?! I`m absolutly sure this is a game issue not Fubars

That's where the 3D "skybox" ends. It's controlled by the skyheight and horizon distance values in the environment system and flight system.ini files.