Sign in to follow this  
Jimbib

Typhoons at Green Flag

Certainly were Jimmy...thankyou.

I was under the impression that the FGR4 designation was for 11 sqn ground attack aircraft only, pure fighter versions would still be F2's?

Ah well, FGR4 it is then.

Whatever her label, the Typhoon is a beauty. A real femme fatale.

Those are some pretty fancy shots!

Did they adopt FGR the same way the F-18 and F-22 became the F/A-18 and F/A-22? i.e. for publicity/political reasons? Of course, the F-22 dropped the "/A" again while the Hornet has forever kept the dual designation.

Those photos look great. I like the lines of the Typhoon except for the big square intakes, but I know the engines really appreciate those style of intakes... and I have no problem with sacrificing looks (in this case only a slight detriment) or even stealth for significant gains in engine performance. It is a shame it has taken so long to get this fighter in service. Hopefully, I can see on flying some time at an airshow.

Did they adopt FGR the same way the F-18 and F-22 became the F/A-18 and F/A-22? i.e. for publicity/political reasons? Of course, the F-22 dropped the "/A" again while the Hornet has forever kept the dual designation.

Nah, it just points out that the FGR Typhoons do have enhanced capabilities, since the early Typhoons simply lacked the necessary equipment to do A-G with LGBs, etc.

Certainly were Jimmy...thankyou.

I was under the impression that the FGR4 designation was for 11 sqn ground attack aircraft only, pure fighter versions would still be F2's?

Ah well, FGR4 it is then.

These type designations are unrelated to the Squadron assignment. It's not unlikely that all Typhoons may end up as FGRs, once the receive the upgrades that would turn them into multirole capable aircraft.

Edited by Gocad

These type designations are unrelated to the Squadron assignment. It's not unlikely that all Typhoons may end up as FGRs, once the receive the upgrades that would turn them into multirole capable aircraft.

Thanks Gocad.

Think I worded it incorrectly, would be silly to have separate role designations for different squadrons. Duh.

What I meant was that since 11 sqn were the first to operate the Typhoon in it's ground attack capability they'd be getting the FGR4's.

Certainly seem to getting up through the numbers quickly...we'll be on the FGR7 before we know it. :biggrin:

Unfortunately, naming is inconsistent everywhere, even within services.

I've still never heard a satisfactory reason why the 2-seat Harrier is a TAV-8B while the 2-seat Hornets were 18B and 18D. It might have meant combat capability, but AFAIK the 18B was never meant to serve in combat (unlike the D). Actually, I seem to recall it originally WAS going to be F/A-18A and TF/A-18A...

Then we have F-111, F-117, and A-4 for more mis-designations.

I will say I found the Swedish Viggens the most confusing with their AJ/JA/AJS/JSA/JJA/ASJA/JASJA/JAJAJJSA deal.

The real question is where the hell green flag came from and what happened to red flag?

Red Flag is "conventional warfare" training.

Green Flag I believe is centered more on EW training.

JM is correct. And Red Flag still happens, Nellis and now Alaska...

I've done Green Flag and Red Flag back in the day...

(and Coalition Flag, Almalgam Warrior, William Tell...)

FastCargo

Ok, I was worried it was some lame-ass environmentally inspired name change.

Almalgam Warrior

Heh.

Brings me back to the good old MST3K days. "I am a Grimald warrior!!" :grin:

Red Flag is "conventional warfare" training.

Green Flag I believe is centered more on EW training.

Red Flag is conventional A/A, A/G, and more recently EW exercises.

Green Flag (used to be Air Warrior) is pre-deployment live weapons delivery exercises. Main focus on CAS and precision guided weapons delivery to get aircrew refreshed before going to OIF or OEF. EW used to be a part of Air Warrior/Green Flag, but was moved to Red Flag.

I took part in Green Flag West (Nellis) in March 07, and the jet I crew was the leader in delivered munitions. :)

Red Flag is conventional A/A, A/G, and more recently EW exercises.

Green Flag (used to be Air Warrior) is pre-deployment live weapons delivery exercises. Main focus on CAS and precision guided weapons delivery to get aircrew refreshed before going to OIF or OEF. EW used to be a part of Air Warrior/Green Flag, but was moved to Red Flag.

I took part in Green Flag West (Nellis) in March 07, and the jet I crew was the leader in delivered munitions. :)

Oh no. No, no, no. They're not allowed to change it. Who said they could do that?? That was not approved.

Floggings all around.