Sign in to follow this  

Can someone enlighten me to the differences between the freeware work on here and the work done on The A-team. Correct me if I'm wrong they are members or a member of the A Team that have signed up to the freeware license agreement on here yet they have work on the A-Team site which is quite regulated or exclusive???.

Ahh I have seen part of the answer 'This applies only to work released individually as freeware. Not as part of a team (unless the team name is listed)'

Quote from Skunkworks 'We are no longer producing public use Freeware models??

But it still seems a bit confusing as I come from a modding backgroung this is either freeware or payware??

I apologise if I'm going over old ground, its just that a few of the campaigns that I have downloaded need files from that website. I have requested access, which I will hopefully get.

Or should I change the campaigns to freeware stuff I can download off here and column 5.

Thanks

Edited by Yorkiesand23

As the freeware licence states http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showt...=26131&st=0- you can only modify and redistribute peoples individual work under those terms that have actually SIGNED up to be part of that licence.

If you have modified someones work and they are not on the list then get in touch with them and ask if you can release it as modified basically.

When you register for A-Team downloads you will be given their terms - they dont allow redistribution of their original models/skins as a rule - as in you can modify it for personal use but it cant be posted on here for example.

But it still seems a bit confusing as I come from a modding backgroung this is either freeware or payware??

Well... since no money is changing hands, it's freeware. The only real difference is that the A-Team chooses to host all of their own products at their site instead. You can still find some of their individual team members' aircraft (I think, lemme look) and some skins here (like AllenJB42's Hind skins). But the overwhelming majority, as well as all their new works are only available there to the best of my knowledge.

As for your campaign, if the aircraft you need are from the A-Team's site, you might have to wait for a response before going ahead as quite a few of the aircraft there aren't available at other sites AFAIK. Be patient and Cap will get back to you at his earliest convenience.

Just curious, which aircraft are you looking for?

I guess you could call the A-Team's stuff 'memberware.'

But isn't it the same as here or Avsim or other sites? You need to be registered to download stuff, that's all.

I guess you could call the A-Team's stuff 'memberware.'

But isn't it the same as here or Avsim or other sites? You need to be registered to download stuff, that's all.

No its not. Those guys want to control access to their files because...well I don't really know why...I think it has to do with ego and power. At CA anybody can sign up and membership is not screened in any way. Plus, at CA many, perhaps most, modders have signed up for the freeware licensing model, so you are not as restricted in how you use the files hosted at CA.

Or should I change the campaigns to freeware stuff I can download off here and column 5.

That is the best plan! :good:

Its the OH Perry Class, Mi-24, AH-1W and P-3C I would like in the first instance.

Yes your right it is just the same as here and avsim - i think I may be a bit impatient to get hold of the files :oops::doh:, as it was quite quick to get access to the downloads on here.

Also i had a look for the Viggen which is meant to be on AVSIM, can't see to find it any help?

Finally is the search on this website quite forgiving as i seem to search for specific things and I seem to get 3 or more pages?? and I'm not looking for F-15 which of course I would expect to bring back quite a few results

Anyway I've just got strike fighters today :good: will have a go at that.

But where is the topic to move the SFG stuff to WOE?..... Let me search for it

Everything of mine IS freeware...And if I find otherwise...Someones in for a BIG lawsuit....lol

We've got an Mi-35 Hind that was modded from the A-Team Mi-24 by Gerald14, but as for the Orion and the Viggen, I've only ever seen them at the A-Team site (but then again, I don't visit the Avsim website because their search engine gives me the sh*ts! :yes: ).

Hi

Can someone drop me the link on what you can move from SFG into WOE. I can't seem to find it, even though I did once - that is what bookmarks are for i hear you Say!!!

Hi

Can someone drop me the link on what you can move from SFG into WOE. I can't seem to find it, even though I did once - that is what bookmarks are for i hear you Say!!!

What do you mean? Practically everything is interchangable between all ThirdWire sims.

No its not. Those guys want to control access to their files because...well I don't really know why...I think it has to do with ego and power. At CA anybody can sign up and membership is not screened in any way. Plus, at CA many, perhaps most, modders have signed up for the freeware licensing model, so you are not as restricted in how you use the files hosted at CA.

I understand what your saying C5 and I fully support the freeware licencing model. What I was getting at was if say a member was really abusive or acted inapproriately and was banned from this site by the moderators, then he wouldn't be able to download files from here would he?

So in that way CA, or your own site, do control access to the files hosted at those sites.

I suppose you could say that you and CA would be acting re-actively in such cases, wheras the A Team could be seen as acting pro-actively so such a suituation doesn't occur on their site. Or you could turn it around and say that CA/C5 are presuming innocence whereas the A Team are presuming guilt.

Having seen the flak that the A Team have had on occasion in the past I do have my sympathies for them, but also for the community in general that this we have ended up in such a state of affairs. :dntknw:

I understand what your saying C5 and I fully support the freeware licencing model. What I was getting at was if say a member was really abusive or acted inapproriately and was banned from this site by the moderators, then he wouldn't be able to download files from here would he?

So in that way CA, or your own site, do control access to the files hosted at those sites.

I suppose you could say that you and CA would be acting re-actively in such cases, wheras the A Team could be seen as acting pro-actively so such a suituation doesn't occur on their site. Or you could turn it around and say that CA/C5 are presuming innocence whereas the A Team are presuming guilt.

Having seen the flak that the A Team have had on occasion in the past I do have my sympathies for them, but also for the community in general that this we have ended up in such a state of affairs. :dntknw:

At C5, there is no requirement to sign up for anything. All the files are freely available to everyone in the world.

At CA, the only way you can be denied access is to be banned, and as you know it takes quite a lot to earn a permanent ban. We don't automatically ban people for crticising the work of the modders here--we just hope that the criticism is constructive. Most of the accounts that have been banned were either spammers or people who went nuts in a political discussion.

In stating that Dev F-Troop presumes guilt, you are probably right, and everyone should ask what right they have to sit in judgement of anyone else, given that they are mod thieves themselves--recall the flap when they stole Diego's pilot skin and claimed it as their own, resulting in Diego remving his fine work from public distribution.

What do you mean? Practically everything is interchangable between all ThirdWire sims.

So I can move the planes which is easy enough already installed a few new planes , campaigns and terrain folders across to WOE?

Anything else need to come over??

So I can move the planes which is easy enough already installed a few new planes , campaigns and terrain folders across to WOE?

Anything else need to come over??

The main thing, I think, would be whether the mod you are installing depends on any files in the CATs.

Finally is the search on this website quite forgiving as i seem to search for specific things and I seem to get 3 or more pages?? and I'm not looking for F-15 which of course I would expect to bring back quite a few results

For downloads - best to use the "Downloads" button above and go the actual category tbh