ok well of all the sims this only happens in WoV. the game runs great, and looks amazing with green hell 2. but with every single version of the game ive tried, unmodded, lightly modded, GH2, doesnt matter. the minute i get into enemy space and they start launching off like 30 sams at me, my computer just bogs down to no end. i drop to 2 or 3 fps, and i cant even play the mission any further. aslong as no sams fire off at anytime in a mission, the game runs nice and smooth between 25 and 60 fps no matter how crowded the sky gets.

any ideas on why it bogs down like this when sams launch?

ok well of all the sims this only happens in WoV. the game runs great, and looks amazing with green hell 2. but with every single version of the game ive tried, unmodded, lightly modded, GH2, doesnt matter. the minute i get into enemy space and they start launching off like 30 sams at me, my computer just bogs down to no end. i drop to 2 or 3 fps, and i cant even play the mission any further. aslong as no sams fire off at anytime in a mission, the game runs nice and smooth between 25 and 60 fps no matter how crowded the sky gets.

there is a lot of data being crunched. I've had the same issue. I upgraded my memory, video card and processor to get it to work through all of that.

Set your graphics options to the low end and the horizon distance to near. Turn off the shadows, lens flares, etc. that you can get by without.

that might help.

I had no trouble with SAMS in WoV, even on my old Athlon system. Admittedly, I wasn't running GH2 back then...

Post your system specs, and we'll see what we can do for you.

Its not only the amount of SAMs but the amount of sound calls you get to go with it - It can slow down in 1972 over Haiphong/Hanoi quite a lot .

Either reduce the graphics settings or reduce the amount of SAM sites in the targets.ini (probably not a 5 min job) IMO

yeah its more then likely the amount of sams getting fired off. i tend to see about 15-25 telephone poles shooting up at my formation when i get into a target area. and the radio traffic goes nuts.

i just upgraded my video card to a ati x1650pro 512mb, and added another gig of ram to bring me up to 2. other then that im running a celedron 2.93ghz processor, winxp sp3. ill try the ini edit first, and see if it helps. if not ill try to reduce some of the radio traffic or maybe lower the sound quality a bit.

yeah its more then likely the amount of sams getting fired off. i tend to see about 15-25 telephone poles shooting up at my formation when i get into a target area. and the radio traffic goes nuts.

i just upgraded my video card to a ati x1650pro 512mb, and added another gig of ram to bring me up to 2. other then that im running a celedron 2.93ghz processor, winxp sp3. ill try the ini edit first, and see if it helps. if not ill try to reduce some of the radio traffic or maybe lower the sound quality a bit.

Onboard sound, right? I've always used an addon sound cards with built-in signel processors (Turtlebeach or Creative). That might help explain it.

You know, I don't get quite the same number of SAMs as the rest of the crowd since I ingress at 200' AGL. I take the jet away from the autopilot early enough for the bad guys not to know you're coming, then I drop down to watch the ladies hang out the laundry. AAA is usually too late for a hi-speed pass and SAM radar doesn't work that good at low altitudes. One pass and haul ass. Drop all the stuff at the same time and egress at low altitude (no burner). Challenging the SAM radars is a bad idea. No trouble with the frame rate then!

You know, I don't get quite the same number of SAMs as the rest of the crowd since I ingress at 200' AGL. I take the jet away from the autopilot early enough for the bad guys not to know you're coming, then I drop down to watch the ladies hang out the laundry. AAA is usually too late for a hi-speed pass and SAM radar doesn't work that good at low altitudes. One pass and haul ass. Drop all the stuff at the same time and egress at low altitude (no burner). Challenging the SAM radars is a bad idea. No trouble with the frame rate then!

Good point - always used to play it like that - safest place to be in the default game - must be why i never noticed much of a FR drop. Can be a bit of a pain dropping iron at low level though - and head on low against the ZPUs etc can be suicide.

I wonder if it might be something else, because i use a stock budget brand E-machines T3120 and i've never had the slighest problem.

well i chopped the number of sams down to half of what it was, and its not as bad now. i also dropped the sound down to 8 bit. im guessing it may be all the radio chatter once all the flights start calling in sam launches every split second. but i still cant narrow it down. but atleast now its playable

i just upgraded my video card to a ati x1650pro 512mb, and added another gig of ram to bring me up to 2. other then that im running a celedron 2.93ghz processor, winxp sp3.

with an 939 MoBo you have also the ability to upgrade to an Athlon 3800+, this cpu is much more powerful then your current celeron. this cpu is available for around 30 bucks and a good investment.

the 4000+ is a bit itchy with some MoBo, so the 3800 is the safer choice.

addional you can disable background services with msconfig or services.msc when you prefer an easier way game xp is your choice

http://www.theorica.net/gamexp.htm

after some mysterious chrashes i downgrated to green hell 1 - i think it is worth a try.

Jaeger

Edited by jaeger_301