With Russo's permission, these use his panel lines, rivets, weathering, etc., because I don't yet have the skills to do those. I painted the camo, and created the decals and decal system. This is what I've finished so far, just checking the details and working on two more skins, then I'll post them.

2/JG26

post-11855-1222652515_thumb.jpg

1/JG51

post-11855-1222652580_thumb.jpg

1/JG52

post-11855-1222652605_thumb.jpg

6/JG52

post-11855-1222652690_thumb.jpg

8/JG2

post-11855-1222652761_thumb.jpg

9/JG54

post-11855-1222652811_thumb.jpg

Told ya that psd with the JG insignias would come in handy, didn't I???

Looking good Heck!!

WRench

kevin stein

Thanks for all your help and tips, Wrench. I'm going to finish just a few more of these, at least one from every JG present in Baltika's BOB campaign, then I have a couple of ideas I'm going to try. I'd like to come up with a SquadronList.ini and a decal system for my BOB installation that would present every Spitfire and Hurricane squadron from 10, 11, and 12 Groups, so I'm going to have to try my hand at painting out the squadron letters on the present skins, unless someone has a template without them. :biggrin: After that, with Baltika's Kursk campaign, there's the 109F to start painting, and a whole bunch of East Front 109e's. Maybe some 110s too...

Heck

I'd like to come up with a SquadronList.ini and a decal system for my BOB installation that would present every Spitfire and Hurricane squadron from 10, 11, and 12 Groups, so I'm going to have to try my hand at painting out the squadron letters on the present skins, unless someone has a template without them.

Do you really want to have 16 Spitfire skins that would only differ because of their squadron codes? Hint: Check out the skins I have done for the DAT Spitfires...

Also, nice skins. :yes:

Edited by Gocad

One easy way to do it, is with decals. Have the squadron code, say DW(roundel) as a decal, then the individual letter, E or whichever, as nother decal. That's how I did on Pasko's Mossie, for the 633 Squadron mod.

Now, mind you, you might get some decal bleed around the engine cowling on the DAT spits...it's just one of them things we have to live with.

And yes, I do have the templates -- the ones I made off the original skin. The Squad Letters are always on a sepeate layer (like, 6 or 8 of them!)

WRench

kevin stein

What about killmarks - haven't seen killmarks on any of the WWII planes yet...

...but it would be fantastic...

Do you really want to have 16 Spitfire skins that would only differ because of their squadron codes? Hint: Check out the skins I have done for the DAT Spitfires...

Also, nice skins. :yes:

Just something I wanted to try, just to see if I can make it work. :biggrin: I already have every Spit and Hurri skin posted here. I'm terribly lazy when I'm flying in the sim, so I like to be able to choose squadrons when I fly a single mission, and have them in the correct scheme, sort of like a default scheme. Also, I have some questions for you. Do you know what time period the black/white underwings were used? And were they used on all aircraft of a squadron? And when did they stop using them? Just curious, this new world of skinning has opened up all sorts of questions for me. I like tinkering with things, just to see what I can do, and learn something from it that might be useful later. Sorry about the blizzard of questions, but I feel like a kid in a candy shop again.

Heck

What about killmarks - haven't seen killmarks on any of the WWII planes yet...

...but it would be fantastic...

I'll do some investigating and see if I can find a way to make them work for this group of skins. The knowledge has to be in the Knowledge Base.

Heck

One easy way to do it, is with decals. Have the squadron code, say DW(roundel) as a decal, then the individual letter, E or whichever, as nother decal. That's how I did on Pasko's Mossie, for the 633 Squadron mod.

Now, mind you, you might get some decal bleed around the engine cowling on the DAT spits...it's just one of them things we have to live with.

And yes, I do have the templates -- the ones I made off the original skin. The Squad Letters are always on a sepeate layer (like, 6 or 8 of them!)

WRench

kevin stein

Exacatacally, what I was thinking, so I see it can be done. I was considering mating the aircraft serial number to the letter code of the aircraft, the same way you combined the Squadron letter codes with the roundel. Wonder if it would all play nice together....

Heck

Also, I have some questions for you. Do you know what time period the black/white underwings were used? And were they used on all aircraft of a squadron? And when did they stop using them?

The black & white underside scheme was introduced in March 1938 and replaced with the sky underside scheme in June 1940, at least according to Don Color, who has a very detailed website about the RAF camouflage schemes during WW2.

Anyway, the black&white underside scheme was basically by the begin of the Battle of Britain.

I was considering mating the aircraft serial number to the letter code of the aircraft, the same way you combined the Squadron letter codes with the roundel. Wonder if it would all play nice together....

Why not? They're both Level 2 decals, you just need to number them accordingly. Done this LOADS of time, on historical skins. Expecially where serial numbers, nose arts and aircraft ID letters are known. (A-20A mod for instance)

Say, fer instance, 610 Sqad Spit 1, DW-A has serial BS985. If you do the Squad/Roundel as a decal (level 0), they'll always show the DW(roundel) on ALL aircraft of the squadron. The A, being level 2 is, using my naming conventions, FLet000.tga (for Fueselage Letter -- I try to keep it simple for me poor brain!)

The serial number, BS985, when created is now SNum000.tga, and so on down the line to Z (FLet025.tga).

Now, I've been experimentating with NOT using a numbers.lst, like TK does with the MiGs and such, so the numbers WILL recycle back to zero.

Ingame, you're flying DW-T, lead of a 16 ship formations. Obviously, you'll run out of letter at your #7 flight member. With a numbers.lst active, #8 ship goes blank, with only the DW(roundell) showing -assuming these are now decals. Even painted on, and with decals for letters, you'll run out. WITHOUT the lst, #8 now get the "A" decal, as this make them cycle back to the beginning.

Unless he's done somthing in how the number.lst is read post-patch (not having patched my WW2 install, due to FM issues). But I've not tested this yet with my Experimental WW2 All Inclusive WoI install. In other words, I've forgetten to look! Guess I'll have to check my Clean WoE install, as I've put the F-51D in there for Korean Testing. Have to see if the Buzz Numbers cycle back, without the numbers.lst.

Wrench

kevin stein

I'm not sure about that, Wrench. Because I have seen quite a few static aircraft with num decals (since I had made only 16 or so), so I'm a bit confused regarding the 'cycling back'. I do know it that the decal numbers start over after '099', but not after the skin has run out of decals. I definitely need to check this.

EDIT: Did a quick test, removed the numbers.lst (The skin had 12 modex decals, num000-011)

gallery_22093_126_17813.jpg

gallery_22093_126_47392.jpg

gallery_22093_126_30120.jpg

According to what you said there (assuming I fully understood that :wink: ) Cowboy 23 should have the Modex number 600 (num00), since Cowboy 22 had the last decal in this series (num11), but it doesn't. That's why I'm convinced that the decals are not cycled back before reaching #99.

2nd EDIT: re Spitfire decals

There's nothing wrong with the method Wrench described, but the disadvantage is that you would have to do 16 skins (with decals & textures) in order to cover the Wings you mentioned. Why not cover the 16 units with a single skin?

post-22093-1222759240_thumb.jpg

The squadron letter (DW) is a Level 1 decal, the individual aircraft letter (F) is a Level 2 decal and the serial number is another level 2 decal. The insignia is part of the texture. Thus you have a single skin that can be used to represent any Spitfire squadron that was present during the BoB.

Edited by Gocad

With Russo's permission, these use his panel lines, rivets, weathering, etc., because I don't yet have the skills to do those. I painted the camo, and created the decals and decal system. This is what I've finished so far, just checking the details and working on two more skins, then I'll post them.

2/JG26

post-11855-1222652515_thumb.jpg

1/JG51

post-11855-1222652580_thumb.jpg

1/JG52

post-11855-1222652605_thumb.jpg

6/JG52

post-11855-1222652690_thumb.jpg

8/JG2

post-11855-1222652761_thumb.jpg

9/JG54

post-11855-1222652811_thumb.jpg

Nice skins!!!That will look good on my Bf109E-3 :biggrin::ok::clapping:

2nd EDIT: re Spitfire decals

There's nothing wrong with the method Wrench described, but the disadvantage is that you would have to do 16 skins (with decals & textures) in order to cover the Wings you mentioned. Why not cover the 16 units with a single skin?

post-22093-1222759240_thumb.jpg

The squadron letter (DW) is a Level 1 decal, the individual aircraft letter (F) is a Level 2 decal and the serial number is another level 2 decal. The insignia is part of the texture. Thus you have a single skin that can be used to represent any Spitfire squadron that was present during the BoB.

Sorry, Gocad. I should have looked much more closely at your BOB skin package. All that needs to be added to that is the Squadron letter codes. Doh!!!! I think the same thing should be done for the Hurricane, it's a great system for both these aircraft.

Heck

Nice skins!!!That will look good on my Bf109E-3 :biggrin::ok::clapping:

Thanks, Johnrey. These, plus two others, should be up by Friday. With eight or so, I'm going to move away from the Battle of Britain for a while (you could spend a lifetime showing the variations used :biggrin: ), and try my hand at creating my own template for Wolf257's Me109F, so I can gain experience painting the details on aircraft, and weathering them. I'm expanding my BOB installation into 1941-42, so I can fly the Fritz and the Butcher Bird. From time to time I may add another 109E, since I now have usable templates for yellow noses, white noses, etc., because I'd eventually like an example skin from each Gruppe of each Geshwader involved in the battle.

Heck

Sorry, Gocad. I should have looked much more closely at your BOB skin package. All that needs to be added to that is the Squadron letter codes. Doh!!!! I think the same thing should be done for the Hurricane, it's a great system for both these aircraft.

Heck

No problem. I made those skins especially with use for a campaign in mind. The disadvantage of this skin are the serial numbers, which would be the same for all units...of course there are ways to add some variation (see TK's default WOE RAF skins). Also, you would need a new squadronlist.ini to make use of the Squadron codes, but that shouldn't be much of a problem, especially not for a dedicated WWII ETO install.

I have a list covering all RAF Spit-&Seafire squadrons during WWII with regard to Squadron codes and versions used, should you or anyone else be interested in it, let me know and I'll scan and upload it.

Edited by Gocad

No problem. I made those skins especially with use for a campaign in mind. The disadvantage of this skin are the serial numbers, which would be the same for all units...of course there are ways to add some variation (see TK's default WOE RAF skins). Also, you would need a new squadronlist.ini to make use of the Squadron codes, but that shouldn't be much of a problem, especially not for a dedicated WWII ETO install.

I have a list covering all RAF Spit-&Seafire squadrons during WWII with regard to Squadron codes and versions used, should you or anyone else be interested in it, let me know and I'll scan and upload it.

I would love it, Gocad. Thank you!

Heck

Alright then.

I was unable to create a .pdf (*kicks computer* :wink: ), so you'll have to deal with three image files:

SpitSqns.rar

Now go and make some decals...the necessary fonts can be found at simmerspaintshop in the appropriate section.

Edited by Gocad

Templates :biggrin: are no problem...

Bf109_Tex.psd = 25.something megs

Bf109G_tex.psd = 36.something megs

Fw190Tex.psd = 75.something megs.

let me know if you want them

Wrench

kevin stein

Alright then.

I was unable to create a .pdf (*kicks computer* :wink: ), so you'll have to deal with three image files:

SpitSqns.rar

Now go and make some decals...the necessary fonts can be found at simmerspaintshop in the appropriate section.

Thanks, Gocad!

Templates :biggrin: are no problem...

Bf109_Tex.psd = 25.something megs

Bf109G_tex.psd = 36.something megs

Fw190Tex.psd = 75.something megs.

let me know if you want them

Wrench

kevin stein

I would love to have them. This is to both you and Gocad, Wrench. You guys are the best!

Heck

I guess the best thing to do, would be to upload them here. MInd you, the rivets on them are 'interperative' at best (meaning I followed panel lines, irregardless of weither there should or should NOT be rivets around... :rolleyes:) So, for pure historical accuracy...they might be 'off' a little, as I've stated in the readmes for those 109 and 190 skin sets I've done.

BTW, in said skin sets, are the new gunsight tgas..Revi 3, 12 and 16. Might be worthwhile just for those! :biggrin: (one day, I'm gonna break my arm patting myself on the back....). They're from the Pappo Romeo EAW sight pack and were converted by me. Moonjumper/Crusader/Otto found them and pointed me to them. They're a great plus!!

Wrench

kevin stein

(one day, I'm gonna break my arm patting myself on the back....).

Wrench

kevin stein

Just don't break the arm you paint with. :biggrin:

Just in case you haven't found that yourself now:

Unless he's done somthing in how the number.lst is read post-patch (not having patched my WW2 install, due to FM issues).

Check the WOE's Alias.lst ... looks like TK has come up with a good idea there.

I guess there's no longer a need for 100 decals per skin. :wink:

Edited by Gocad