Sign in to follow this  
malibu43

Strange Issue with Take off direction

Hey all,

I recently pieced together a Forward Operating Base and placed in my vietnamSEA_targets.ini file to use in a modern campaign. Everything works pretty well, except whenever my flight starts from the "takeofftail" position, my aircraft's autopilot as well as all the AI turn about 10-15 degrees to the right and then take off through a field and then take off. If I start from the "takeoffhead" position, everyone tracks down the runway just fine.

does anyone know what would cause this? here's the FOB airfield data...

[Runway001]

Heading=0

Offset=0,0

Length=400

Width=25

TouchDownHead=0,120.0

TouchDownTail=0,-520.0

TakeOffHead=0,125

TakeOffTail=0,-500

TaxiHead[01].Heading=180

TaxiHead[01].Offset=0,150

TaxiHead[02].Heading=180

TaxiHead[02].Offset=0,170

TaxiHead[03].Heading=180

TaxiHead[03].Offset=0,190

TaxiHead[04].Heading=180

TaxiHead[04].Offset=0,210

TaxiHead[05].Heading=180

TaxiHead[05].Offset=0,230

TaxiHead[06].Heading=180

TaxiHead[06].Offset=0,240

TaxiHead[07].Heading=180

TaxiHead[07].Offset=0,250

TaxiTail[01].Heading=0

TaxiTail[01].Offset=0,-550

TaxiTail[02].Heading=0

TaxiTail[02].Offset=0,-570

TaxiTail[03].Heading=0

TaxiTail[03].Offset=0,-590

TaxiTail[04].Heading=0

TaxiTail[04].Offset=0,-610

TaxiTail[04].Heading=0

TaxiTail[04].Offset=0,-630

TaxiTail[04].Heading=0

TaxiTail[04].Offset=0,-650

TaxiTail[04].Heading=0

TaxiTail[04].Offset=0,-670

TaxiTail[04].Heading=0

TaxiTail[04].Offset=0,-690

Thanks!

*edit* - also, if I start straight down the runway myself and then hit autopilot, he'll keep going straight...

Edited by malibu43

From the sounds of it, I'd say that you did not orient the field on the terrain. I recall a similar thing happening in WoV when people tried using Armour Dave's and Gepard's Korat add-on (which was oriented for Gepard's DRV terrain).

From the sounds of it, I'd say that you did not orient the field on the terrain. I recall a similar thing happening in WoV when people tried using Armour Dave's and Gepard's Korat add-on (which was oriented for Gepard's DRV terrain).

I have no idea what you mean by orient the field on the terrain... Can you expand on the or point me in the right direction?

Also, did you get my PM about the SA-9's and SA-13's after the patch?

Thanks!

Place three windsocks for me, and post a screen shot. Put them at (0,0) (0,100) and (0,-100).

Youre offsets don't match on the TakeOffHead and TakeOffTail; they should be the same disance from 0,0 (look at any other airfield ini -- they're always the same, just one a minus value)

Wrench

kevin stein

Place three windsocks for me, and post a screen shot. Put them at (0,0) (0,100) and (0,-100).

I'll work on that...

I can tell you that the wind is normally at 210, and when I have start from the other end of the field and have problems, it's at about 300 (according to the tower...)

Youre offsets don't match on the TakeOffHead and TakeOffTail; they should be the same disance from 0,0 (look at any other airfield ini -- they're always the same, just one a minus value)

Wrench

kevin stein

The reason I did that is that the actual FOB runway was too short, and the jet's would always run off the end. So I added a "runway extension" at one end, that looks like runway, but actually is just an object placed at the end of the runway. That's why the tail and head values are different. Maybe that could have something to do with it... I don't know.

Edited by malibu43

Here's the airfield data, if it helps at all:

[TargetArea148]

Name=DMZ South FOB

Position=568619,550640

Radius=2000

ActiveYear=0

Location=1

Alignment=FRIENDLY

AirfieldDataFile=FOB_Data.INI

NumSquadrons=1

Target[001].Type=FOB

Target[001].Offset=0,0

Target[001].Heading=90

Target[002].Type=CamonetParking

Target[002].Offset=-60,202

Target[071].Heading=27

Target[072].Type=FOB_extension

Target[072].Offset=-0,400

Target[072].Heading=180

Target[073].Type=windsock

Target[073].Offset=0,0

Target[074].Type=windsock

Target[074].Offset=0,100

Target[075].Type=windsock

Target[075].Offset=0,-100

Edited by malibu43

Here:

img00003-2.jpg

I hope this is what you wanted. The aircraft are heading 90 degrees, and the windsocks seem to be blowing the same direction.

TakeOffHead and TakeOffTail do not have to have symetric values. None of my harrier runways are, but the runway does have to run along the line made by those three winsocks, which it does.

I had a problem with AP landing once, they were turning direction at the last minute, and it was because I had placed a ground object to close to the runway. Once I moved it, they landed fine. Try once with the camo net, and any other objects, removed.

Are FOB and FOB_extension both defined as <SIZE>_RUNWAY in the _types.ini file? They need to be.

TakeOffHead and TakeOffTail do not have to have symetric values. None of my harrier runways are, but the runway does have to run along the line made by those three winsocks, which it does.

I had a problem with AP landing once, they were turning direction at the last minute, and it was because I had placed a ground object to close to the runway. Once I moved it, they landed fine. Try once with the camo net, and any other objects, removed.

Are FOB and FOB_extension both defined as <SIZE>_RUNWAY in the _types.ini file? They need to be.

Well, putting the windsock on the runway didn't make a difference, so I don't know if it's that. FOB_extension is listed as a small runway.

However, I did notice that in the FOB_data.ini I posted above that the runway length is 400. With the taxi positions the way they are, that puts the taxitail postions and takeofftail position off the end of the runway. Maybe that could explain why they seem to head off in their own direction when taking off from that direction. I changed the runway length to 800, but haven't gotten a mission in inclemnet weather yet, which is when I usually take off from the other direction, so I can't confirm if this made a difference or not.

So, maybe that was it. I'll let you know if it was or wasn't.

Looking forward to the updated WOE highway airfields, BTW. The original was my inspiration for trying this out...

Good work :clapping:

Just for the record, adjusting the runway length made the difference. Thanks for your help, guys.