Okay, I've been messing around with the speechsystem to see if I could get a direction call with the SAM launch message. No joy. Anyone been successful with this? There are a few mods that give you who the SAM is targeting, and another that attempts to give direction, but doesn't work very well. It gives a random callsign...not YOUR call sign when a SAM is launched.

There's GOT to be a way to do this...I'm pulling my hair out (and I can't afford to lose much more)

Well if you cant get it to work an alternative is press R after a call is made then F4 and that will spin your head round to look in the direction.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing now...I'm hoping to make it a little more "realistic" so I have to hunt for the SAM.

Huh... I never noticed that they use random call signs in the newer comm mod. I just gave it a try, and I got some with my call sign for sure, but there were a lot of other call signs mentioned, and I didn't see that many other aircraft around.

*edit* - it seems like it wouldn't be that hard to add the location and call sign to the begining of the radio call for most stuff (sam launches, bandit calls), but it's also hard to tell exactly what's going here. Here are the SAM launch entries from both versions of the comm mod:

[Concept058]

//MSN_SPC_AI_SAM_WARNING,

Priority=TRUE

TargetFragmentID=SPC_FAC_LEAD_CALLSIGN

CallerFragmentID=SPC_WING_NUMBER

BodyFragment001=SPC_WING_NUMBER

BodyFragment002=SPC_AI_SAM_WARNING

[Concept058]

Priority=TRUE

TargetFragmentID=SPC_LDR_NUMBER

BodyFragment001=SPC_LDR_CALLSIGN

BodyFragment002=SPC_WING_NUMBER

BodyFragment003=SPC_AI_SAM_WARNING

BodyFragment004=SPC_WING_POSITION

BodyFragment005=SPC_WING_DISTANCE

For example, I think if you added the last two lines to the first mod, you would get something like "One, SAM launch! 10 O'clock, 2 miles". However, based on my reasoning, you'd think you would get the correct call sign as well with the entire second entry...

Anyone want to take a stab at it?

Edited by malibu43

I tried that. Doesn't work for some reason. The number it calls out isn't the plane that's targeted. I set up a mission with just me and a wingie. Had a SAM lock, then launch. I got "Four, SAM launch, 11 o'clock."

???

Odd stuff. I'll keep plugin' away at it.

I just tested both those settings, and a combination of them. No good. I get direction calls, but never my correct Flight name or number. And the clock position calls are never correct, either.

I created a mission with only 2 a/c (me and a wingie), and set up some different kinds of SAMS. My callsign was "Gunslinger", but I got calls for ALL of the other callsigns it seems. And when I just tried the number, I got a few that seemed correct, but the clock position was wrong (according to the RWR). Curious...

I just tested both those settings, and a combination of them. No good. I get direction calls, but never my correct Flight name or number. And the clock position calls are never correct, either.

I created a mission with only 2 a/c (me and a wingie), and set up some different kinds of SAMS. My callsign was "Gunslinger", but I got calls for ALL of the other callsigns it seems. And when I just tried the number, I got a few that seemed correct, but the clock position was wrong (according to the RWR). Curious...

I didn't set up any specific missions, but I did fly around in external view and watch for launches/radio calls, and used the 'R' key to find the SAM launch immediately after it was called. I can now confirm also that the call signs, numbers, and clock positions seemed to be wrong most of the time. Maybe just the call sign will work, with no numbers or clock position...? That would actually be the most realistic, probably. I'll give it a try...

*edit* - Just random call signs again...

There aren't any speech files in the speech folder that match anything called out in the speechsystem.ini file, which tells me that there's a ddl or something somewhere else that tells the game how to play speech files based on what it reads in the speechsystem.ini, and I'm wondering if that's what's not working properly...

Edited by malibu43

I tried that. Doesn't work for some reason. The number it calls out isn't the plane that's targeted. I set up a mission with just me and a wingie. Had a SAM lock, then launch. I got "Four, SAM launch, 11 o'clock."

???

Odd stuff. I'll keep plugin' away at it.

Unfortunately seems that in the most cases, the ID of the calls are randomic. Anyhow, my settings for the SpeechSystem.ini is:

[Concept050]

//MSN_SPC_AI_BANDITS,

Priority=FALSE

TargetFragmentID=SPC_LDR_CALLSIGN

BodyFragment003=SPC_AI_BANDITS_CALL

[Concept051]

//MSN_SPC_AI_TAKING_DAMAGE,

Priority=FALSE

BodyFragment003=SPC_AI_TAKING_DAMAGE

[Concept052]

//MSN_SPC_AI_BAILING_OUT,

Priority=FALSE

BodyFragment003=SPC_AI_BAILING_OUT

[Concept055]

//MSN_SPC_AI_WATCH_SIX,

Priority=FALSE

BodyFragment003=SPC_AI_WATCH_SIX

[Concept056]

//MSN_SPC_AI_BREAK,

Priority=FALSE

BodyFragment003=SPC_AI_BREAK

[Concept058]

Priority=TRUE

BodyFragment003=SPC_AI_SAM_WARNING

[Concept059]

//MSN_SPC_AI_AAM_WARNING,

Priority=TRUE

BodyFragment003=SPC_AI_AAM_WARNING

This always generate calls like "Asp Lead, 2 SAM Lauch!" or "Oyster Lead, 4 Bandits.".

One thing that I do, usually works fine in SP4 but not working so good after the last patch, is press CTRL+R after a call of "SAM Launch". You will padlock on the launcher, not on the missile, but with the mod that adds smoke trail to the SAMs it gives you some clue from where and, most important, to where the missile is going.

That's my main way to keep an eye on SAMs. Man I hate SAMs!

I just noticed this thread nad have the same problem with the "random" callsign.

Has anyone figured out a solution, and is it worth to bring it to TK's attention?