This mod is a hommage to the brave warriors Col. Jack Broughton and Major Ken Bell (later Brig. Gen.) and based on their accounts from mission flown over RP6. When the best Pilots met the thoughest Airdefense.

lot of Navy campaign missions flown with the above .ini changes and the ZU23 changed to optical aiming.

resume:

from feet dry to feet wet i have to be on a constant watch out, jinking and changing altitude is a must. In RP 6 and especially over Hanoi and Haiphong every perimeter of the airspace is covert with a deadly menace.

Flying straight with 500 knots at 300 feet too long and the small arms fire will probably damage the plane.

Straight and level with constant speed at 10k to 15k, heavy AAA and SAM´s will get some planes from your flight.

So, is it a insane modification? No, it is possible to bring all planes back safely from a RP6 mission with some basic rules. In short, high speed (500 knots +), constant change of altitude and heading. I have flown successfully the F8, F7 ( you will miss the burner :smile: ) F4 and F105. Jammers are for the Linebacker campaigns a must.

Strike flights:

in areas with low SAM coverage ingress is best between 10k and 15k + the above basics. Ingress in areas with a high SAM thread it is best between 4k and 6k, so you can take the plane quick below 1000 feet after the first SAM´s where fired keep the plane between an altitude envelope from 100 ft up to 2000 ft. 5 seconds at the same alt. and heading should be the maximum. 1 pass over the target should be the rule.

MIGCAP - TARCAP

Avoid overflights of Hanoi and Haiphong when possible, in these particular areas are long dogfights and long lineups for AIM 7 shots a nogo.

For me worked best;

AIM7 shots - lock the bandit around 15nm, go down to the deck with full burner then start a zoom climb with slightly jinking, center the release dot with 1g shoot your AIM7 and jink again inside the radar parameters. Keep during launch and impact the bandit with a clear sky as background.

When the bandit chasses a friendly force him to a defensive manouvre, drag him out of the high threat area and use the support of your wingman.

There aren t any changes done in the weapons performance like range, fireing rate etc. . From my point of view the AAA is now on ACE level with lots of experience.

Jaeger

If you want to read a real-life great flying book, read "Thud Ridge" by above mentioned Col. Jack Broughton. Living life on the edge headed north in a Thud. And it is real!

Hello Jug,

yep already done, got also the book 100 mission s north from Maj. Ken Bell and these books are one of the best i have read so far about the air war in vietnam.

Especially interessting is that these 2 flew for the same squadron during the same time and Maj. Bell was his wingman (quite a honor) and then read what each other wrote about a particular mission. Iceing on the cake was the book when Thunder rolled by Ed Rasimus, which flew out from Korat and then compare how Korat and Thakli Sq. handelt there duty´s.

cheers

Jaeger

P.S.

Thud Ridge

http://www.amazon.com/Thud-Ridge-Jack-Brou...n/dp/0553251899

100 missions north

http://www.amazon.com/100-Missions-North-F...m/dp/1574886398

when Thunder rolled

http://www.amazon.com/When-Thunder-Rolled-...s/dp/0891418547

Hey Jaeger,

i've got to do that mod when i get my comp fixed. Things should really be different now that the high altitude AAA is better.

Two great books i highly recommend is "When Thunder Rolled" and "Palace Cobra" by Ed Rasmius. He flew Thuds during the period of their highest losses and later flew an F-4E in a Wild Weasel Hunter Killer flight. Awesome reads!

Edited by Lt. James Cater

Hi Cater,

will take a look at the Palace Cobra.

Here are all changes that i made:

ZU23 - change to visual

[DetectSystem]

TargetType=AIR

DataLink=TRUE

OpticalSight=TRUE

NightSight=FALSE

VisualRange=4000.0

ViewportPosition=0.0,0.0,2.30

MaxVisibleDistance=3000.0

RadarCrossSection=6

[WeaponSystem]

TargetType=AIR

GunRange=2500.0

PitchAngleRate=60

MaxPitch=85.0

MinPitch=-4.0

DefaultPitchAngle=40

YawLimited=FALSE

YawAngleRate=45

DefaultYawAngle=0

ReloadGunAtAngle=FALSE

GunRecoil=10

GunStabilization=TRUE

GunRadarTracking=TRUE

RangeFinder=5

BallisticComputer=5

YawModelNodeName=turret

PitchModelNodeName=gunbase_1

KS 19 100mm - from optical to radar changed

[DetectSystem]

TargetType=AIR

RadarSearchTime=2.0

RadarSearchRange=30000.0

RadarSearchStrength=80

RadarTrackTime=6.0

RadarTrackRange=20000.0

RadarTrackStrength=75

RadarPosition=0.0,0.0,2.30

RadarMinimumRange=3000.0

RadarMinimumAlt=300.0

DataLink=TRUE

OpticalSight=TRUE

NightSight=TRUE

VisualRange=3500.0

VisualSearchTime=5.0

MaxVisibleDistance=7000.0

RadarCrossSection=5

[WeaponSystem]

x

GunStabilization=TRUE

x

RangeFinder=5

BallisticComputer=5

KS 60 57mm - from radar to optical changed

[DetectSystem]

TargetType=AIR

DataLink=TRUE

OpticalSight=TRUE

NightSight=FALSE

VisualRange=5000.0

VisualMinimumAlt=10.0

VisualSearchTime=2.0

ViewportPosition=0.0,0.0,2.80

RadarCrossSection=5

[WeaponSystem]

x

GunStabilization=TRUE

x

RangeFinder=5

BallisticComputer=5

for there actual shooting performance the values RangeFinder and BallisticComputer have the greatest effect, where 10 is best. I tried also the values 9 and 10 but then they have a magical eye and sometimes the first burst blew the flight out of the air.

AFAIK, the Vietnamese did setup Flak and SAM traps that blew out planes without warning. It would be interessting when it would be possible to change the Airdefense performance randomly.

cheers

Jaeger

Thanks for the info.

I've had times when i flew through flak so thick i was amazed that i wasn't hit. Glad to see some things changing.

North Vietnamese AAA was legendary for it's intensity. Glad to see someone helping make it so in this sim. :good:

Hi Cater,

will take a look at the Palace Cobra.

Here are all changes that i made:

ZU23 - change to visual

[DetectSystem]

TargetType=AIR

DataLink=TRUE

OpticalSight=TRUE

NightSight=FALSE

VisualRange=4000.0

MaxVisibleDistance=3000.0

RadarCrossSection=6

[WeaponSystem]

TargetType=AIR

GunRange=2500.0

PitchAngleRate=60

MaxPitch=85.0

MinPitch=-4.0

DefaultPitchAngle=40

YawLimited=FALSE

YawAngleRate=45

DefaultYawAngle=0

ReloadGunAtAngle=FALSE

GunRecoil=10

GunStabilization=TRUE

GunRadarTracking=TRUE

RangeFinder=5

BallisticComputer=5

YawModelNodeName=turret

PitchModelNodeName=gunbase_1

KS 19 100mm - from optical to radar changed

[DetectSystem]

TargetType=AIR

RadarSearchTime=2.0

RadarSearchRange=30000.0

RadarSearchStrength=80

RadarTrackTime=6.0

RadarTrackRange=20000.0

RadarTrackStrength=75

RadarPosition=0.0,0.0,2.30

RadarMinimumRange=3000.0

RadarMinimumAlt=300.0

DataLink=TRUE

OpticalSight=TRUE

NightSight=TRUE

VisualRange=3500.0

VisualSearchTime=5.0

RadarCrossSection=5

[WeaponSystem]

x

GunStabilization=TRUE

x

RangeFinder=5

BallisticComputer=5

KS 60 57mm - from radar to optical changed

[DetectSystem]

TargetType=AIR

DataLink=TRUE

OpticalSight=TRUE

NightSight=FALSE

VisualRange=5000.0

VisualMinimumAlt=10.0

VisualSearchTime=2.0

ViewportPosition=0.0,0.0,2.80

RadarCrossSection=5

[WeaponSystem]

x

GunStabilization=TRUE

x

RangeFinder=5

BallisticComputer=5

for there actual shooting performance the values RangeFinder and BallisticComputer have the greatest effect, where 10 is best. I tried also the values 9 and 10 but then they have a magical eye and sometimes the first burst blew the flight out of the air.

AFAIK, the Vietnamese did setup Flak and SAM traps that blew out planes without warning. It would be interessting when it would be possible to change the Airdefense performance randomly.

cheers

Jaeger

Thanks for looking into this stuff. This will help make the WOV/WOE experience a little more intense. However, I noticed that you left "GunRadarTracking=" true on the ZU-23 and false on the KS-19. Shouldn't these be switched as well?

Also, I think in your post above you are actually editing the data for the ZSU-23. The ZU-23 in the game is already set as optical. And it that's the case, I should point out that the zSU-23 wasn't used in vietnam and is supposed to be radar guided.

Edited by malibu43

You're also missing an important item...the FireCan gun tracking radars to network the guns to.

Don't forget the GUNS themselves DO NOT HAVE RADARS on/in them, they're a linked via radio or telephone BACK to the central fire-control radar from thier "control unit" (easily set on the targets ini by dropping the SovietCommandVehicle near a AAA battery to 'pretend' to be the C&C unit).

Then, you network the approiate Gun units. Just ask me, Fubar and FastCargo :biggrin: Already a 'been done' thing.

BTW, we DO need a better, more accurate KS-60 -- right now it's using the Pakso' KS-19.lod

Wrench

kevin stein

Thank you Malibu for pointing this out - corrected it.

@Wrench

yeah, i already wondered about the missing Firecan, when i compared the KS19 i noticed that the Firecan is completely missing. It isn t even in my Groundobjects folder nor in the ObjectData.cat (at least i couldn t find it) - though Fansong is there (WOV install with MF weapons pak).

Noticed the entry Oerlikon data

DataLink=TRUE

NetworkType=Skyguard_camo

So i dont know if the entry Datalink = TRUE means that the AAA gets there info from Fansong or other Radar types.

What entry would you recommend, something like NetworkType=Fansong ??

When i have a wish for WOV then it would be the typical "Star of David" SA2 pattern and the massive grouping of AAA in RP6.

cheers

Jaeger

What entry would you recommend, something like NetworkType=Fansong ??

When i have a wish for WOV then it would be the typical "Star of David" SA2 pattern and the massive grouping of AAA in RP6.

cheers

Jaeger

NetworkType=AAA as would the Firecan. You can sub using the Barlock by adding the appropriate lines to its data.ini. And, all the fixed SAM sites in a default install are already in a 'Star-of-David' deployment.

And if you wanted to add 'berms' around the launchers, just look at the SAM battery layout in the Isreal2 rebuild's targets ini, for those along the Suez Canal's SAM Fence. :biggrin:

Wrench

kevin stein

BTW, we DO need a better, more accurate KS-60 -- right now it's using the Pakso' KS-19.lod

Wrench

kevin stein

Pasko's S-60 ... its around somewhere.... I think I saw it in the sandbox ?

The "tiles" aren't missing. What would be required is for someone to create a flat, horizontal .lod with a corresponding bitmap or tga, to simulate the connecting service paths to and from the launchers, radars, and service/command vehicles. The latter two types would have to be added. Kesselbrut already has SA-2s mounted on transport trailers, so we could use those.

star_of_david.jpg

Thanks Fubar,

but the tiles are missing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Sa2site.jpg

Image:Sa2site.jpg

Jaeger

The tiles aren't "missing". The SAM sites are placed on the map in the location specified in the targets.ini file. The tile the SAM sites appear on will be whatever tile is in that location. I don't think having the SAM sites tiled onto the map would make sense the way the game uses the tiles to create the terrain.

What might work is to creat a new object (call it SAM_SITE, or whatever) and have the object be just a star pattern. Then you would have to place this object at the center of every SAM site, and it would look like they are on a SAM site "tile". However, this won't work for any SAM sites that appear on uneven surfaces. I know a few in WOV are up on a hill.

*edit* - Also, back to the 57mm, try changing the burst amount for each gun to 5 instead of 1 or 2. Much better.

Edited by malibu43

Can I ask where you got that effect for the 57mm?

Out of the "megapack", that I released over 3 years ago.

Out of the "megapack", that I released over 3 years ago.

Thanks!

And just because I'm not great with gun effects, do you know which files exactly I'll need to copy from the megapack or edit to get them to work?

Thank you all for your help and input.

I have created 2 versions medium and hard and tested them with the october_b patch. On medium settings the possiblity of a hit is higher then with the default settings. With hard, you will really have a hard time in RP6 and even when you do everything right the AAA can get you (read my suggestions on page 2 of this thread).

In case you don t like these settings, simply delete the xxxdata.ini files and the default settings are back.

DL

http://www.megaupload.com/de/?d=WXLP610P

enjoy

Jaeger