Sign in to follow this  
FastCargo

Step away from the computer...

Sometimes, it's nice to get away from the LCD screen.

As some of you know, I work for a major overnight freight carrier, and sometimes, I get nice layovers.

This particular month, I'm doing Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. For those who don't know, it's a very nice cosmopolitan city, crowded, but nice. My wife is originally from this area, so I have lots of in-laws (parents and siblings) to visit when I come here.

I liked the area so much that we decided to buy a piece of land to build on when we retire (20 years from now). But not out in Vancouver (waaay too expensive) but in a place called Point Roberts, Washington state, USA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_Roberts,_Washington

What's nice about the place is that it's only about 5 miles square...literally any place there is accessible from any other place with a 30 minute walk at most. And no more than 4500 people at most...usually only about 1500 people.

Included is a crappy cell phone picture looking from the shore in Point Roberts to Vancouver Island:

What the picture doesn't convey is the smell of the air...the sound of the waves flowing on the beach (well, the shore...beach is a generous term), the light breeze wafting and the view of low clouds hanging on the mountain tops on Vancouver Island.

Ah...paradise...even in the summer it just doesn't get that warm, and everything is green with a capital G. It's really cool to sit at the local coffee shop (or bar, take your pick) and just listen to the breeze while enjoying a beverage of choice.

Sometimes, it's the simple things that really matter...

FastCargo

Anything is nicer then LCD - not occasionally - always. Computer is like a heavy drug- not good at all. It will be better to sometimes drop in virtual world not vise versa.

Looks like paradise to me. The wife prefers hot, humid beaches. That picture, with that weather, is my idea of the perfect place. I like winter (unlike the missus). I always heard that the BC area of Canada is beautiful.

That is the great place FC. Sometimes I wish I could break my computer into 1000's of pieces.

LOL, right, the misses says that I spend too much time on the puter, and i'm starting to think that she is right. Can't tell her that tho, lol!

I always tell the wife, "Better I park my butt in front of the computer than some stripper named Misty" :biggrin:

cool place FC. Now I know who I'm dropping in on during the summer in years to come.

and roger the step away from the computer. I ensure that I keep that as a purely secondary pursuit in life and tool to do things with.

Cool pic FC !

Here's a sunset shot taken across the bay in Agia Napa, Cyprus in September.

Was strolling along the beach before a night out, very tranquil had to capture it - definately one of those moments to savour.

Awesome!

Here are two from Okinawa...first is in an old castle over looking a little something called the East China Sea and the second is a little further South, looking at Motobu and Kurei

post-946-1226355422_thumb.jpg

post-946-1226355913_thumb.jpg

I always tell the wife, "Better I park my butt in front of the computer than some stripper named Misty" :biggrin:

Misty is better :biggrin:

find me a beach that i can ride on and i would be so happy.....no pettles needed...just gas lol....but seriously .....when i was in HS went to sea camp Hawaii we were in this lil cove right across the bay from a NAS??? had rescue helo's practisin close nuff to see them but couldn't really hear them.....i could spend hours there just watchin the sea....the helo's were an added bonus!!!

Yeah, BC looks pretty nice...

but cold! :wink:

Another 15-20 years I'm looking more towards the USVI with warm trade winds, turquoise waters, and white sand secluded beaches. Hotels give free stays if the temps drop below 70F anytime of the year. :biggrin: