Sign in to follow this  
sparkomatic

call of duty 4 grapics problem

just installed call of duty 4 on the PC...updated the 9.0C driver to Nov 2008...running a 7600 GT 512 Mb on a 3.4 Pentium 4 with 3Gb of Ram...runs CRYSIS just fine

the "people" in the game have no textures, just all black...poured over google trying to find a solution as to yet no avail...and nvidia drivers are 163.75 and I tried the "latest" drives before you sell that song...for whatever reason something went really wrong in that the PC would not go past 4 colors or 800x600 resolution...had to delete the old drivers and re-install 163.75 but unless someone can prove that is the solution I really dont want to go that route again...and is patched to v1.6

cheers

The 178.24 WHQL drivers seem to be pretty stable for most applications. I still haven't gotten around to installing COD4 yet, so I can't tell you from first hand experience if they will work for you. The newest 180 series Nvidia drivers are really optimized for the 8800, 9800 and new 200 series video cards; so they probably won't work for you. Take a look at the forums on guru3d.com for info on compatability.

The Nvidia video drivers are pretty anal about how they are installed, and can cause some pretty strange issues if they are so inclined. Based on how I constantly update my Nvidia video drivers, here is what has worked great for my system. Before uninstalling your current Nvidia Video drivers, go to guru3d.com and download DriverCleanerPro. After virus scanning the download, go ahead and install the program. Then through Control Panel, use the Uninstall Programs to uninstall your existing Nvidia Video drivers. Be careful if your motherboard has a Nvidia chipset not to uninstall the Nvidia chipset drivers. Instant self lobotomy! After uninstalling the current Nvidia Video drivers, DO NOT click the Reboot Now button. Now run DriverCleaner Pro from the shortcut on your desktop. The DriverCleanerPro initial window should show "nVidia" in the Cleaning Section window. If not, set the pulldown menu for the Cleaning Section window to read "nVidia" and NOTHING else. Leave the Select Multiple Cleaning Filters box unchecked. Then click Start. The program will proceed to whack all the bits and pieces of the uninstalled Nvidia Video drivers (there are quite a few left behind). When DriverCleanerPro shows it has deleted all the stray files, hit the close button and go ahead and reboot.

Lots of people suggest rebooting in the Safe Mode (hold down F8 before the bios finishes loading), but I have had even better luck just doing a normal reboot. After rebooting, run DriverCleanerPro AGAIN. The program will find a couple more pieces of the prior uninstalled Nvidia Video drivers, always! Windows will now be nagging you with the Found New Hardware balloon, so hit Cancel on the Found New Hardware. Now, run the setup.exe from the folder on your desktop where you have previously unzipped the Nvidia Video drivers you have elected to install. After running the setup.exe and letting the Nvidia Video driver set install, click the Reboot button when given the option. Now let Windows detect and install the new video drivers, which usually will be done without any further input from you. You will now have to go into Display Properties to set your screen resolution and sometimes your monitor refresh rate.

You should now be ready to go out and make the world safe for democracy!

my son noted a problem with CoD4 too. Have the same card and a 3.2gig processor.

His problem is not the graphics presentation but the program is choppy now.

no other programs have a problem.

and he did, without my ok, "update" the Nvidia driver!

Edited by Typhoid

nvidia hasn't updated drivers for the 7x00 cards in awhile now. Make sure you're not using any designed for the 8xxx or later.

nvidia hasn't updated drivers for the 7x00 cards in awhile now. Make sure you're not using any designed for the 8xxx or later.

good point.

where do you check?

I believe you can check on the Nvidia site; go into your nvidia control panel and the driver version should be there.

Spark, I would reinstall the game, but if that doesn't fix it, remember to patch up to 1.7.

thanks, patched to v1.7 and that had no effect...when I read the readme for the patch (yes there is such a thing a few can read it, but I think there are people that can read Egyptian hieroglyphs than readme files) it didnt mention anything about texture issues.

I was rather hoping they would not put this in this column since there seems like 8 people who read it but 30,000 read the pub...oh well...

this particularly faithful PC still uses AGP technology, so going beyond a 7-series nvidia, as far as I can find, is a no-go...did they ever make an AGP 8-series?

thanks for the inputs

check ur directx is up to date too......also check your nvidia settings arent over riding the games settings....check anything as in drivers,bios,also I think u must have SP3 for xp with cod4...dunno if that has any effect

There were some ATI AGP 3xxx series cards made, but nvidia stopped at the 7xxx series AFAIK.

When you go to nvidia's site, it will ask you what card, OS, etc you have. It will give you the latest WHQL driver for that card.

yeah...did that an told the nVidia site that it was a 7 series and it still gave me the wrong drivers...I do not put much faith in their filter process kind of like calling a brokerage house and getting "personal" financial advice...had a good friend who did that very job for a very well known company...she read the crap from a book like most Dell customer service people...except her book did not say "reboot" it said "buy x"...no kidding

thanks, the DirectX version is the one released Nov 2008, do they have one more current? Good point about the SP3...had to reload my HDD a while back and seemed to have skipped that step since it is currently running SP1...

SP1? XP SP1 is almost a totally different OS under the hood than XP SP2. The SP3 differences by comparison are minor.

With modern games it's sometimes hard to tell if the problem with "black" polygons is textures, shaders, or both.

ha! so just installed XPSP2 and XPSP3...seems to have helped but now I get that famous stuttering...that may be a tweak though or "slider" too ambitious...thanks!

perhaps the stutter is caused by the "old" 7-series graphics card and it is happier when being vetted through that GX2? anyone have one of those?

by the by, once again C.A has answers...I Googled like mad for a couple of hours then just posted here...

I'm running a GeForce 7300 LE... albeit having to turn the graphics down a bit to get acceptable framerates, I don't have any problems. (Vista SP1)