Sign in to follow this  

This one is odd. It only happens with the F-14. When I use missiles the HUD lacks and kind of aiming reticule. It has crosshairs for the 20mm cannon, but all missiles, ARH, SARH, IR, don't have aiming reticules. Any ideas?

huh2.jpg

huh.jpg

I wouldn`t bother about this prob, MF is making new cats from the A to the D with new pits so ... patience young padawan.... but damn the same thing goes with the new MNiG-29... grrrr patience ... patience....

At first I thought it wasn't a issue with the avionics.dll. So I found a replacement dll in the downloads section. It didn't fix anything, but then again it didn't make things worse either. This is the only bird that does it, although I have some other issues, like some of my fishbed's not applying their skins, and add on maps not working right etc. I guess I will just wait this one out. Other than the hud they are pretty good though. I just took on a flight of foxbats and fulcrums and owned them.

TMF new Tomcats are mythical. Like Pegasus.

Edited by gbnavy61

TMF new Tomcats are mythical. Like Pegasus.

oh ye of little faith

:biggrin:

Check the screenies in TMF WIP thread. They look beautiful.

Oh they are beautiful, but then, one can't fly a screenshot.

The TMF will release the F-14 when it is ready, and not before. It does exist, it is being worked on...sorry if screenshots aren't enough to show that.

FC

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=6121

Complete Tomcat cockpit update. This will give you the older Kaisar model HUD (used in the F-14A and F-14B until the B got the newer HUD in 2003) but it'll have the reticle, altitude bars, range, etc.

That is the update that I used to begin with. I still have the problem after applying it. Could it be that the hub lacks the .tga for reticules? I'm assuming they are just .tga's that are moved about the screen.

Uhhh, I have no idea what's going on there. You should have side panels next to the VDI, the color should be different, you shouldn't have the G or Alpha signs on the HUD...

How did you install it? Unzip, drag and drop or...???

EDIT: Oh, and did you change avionics60.dll to avionics70.dll?

Edited by Caesar

I overwrote the cockpit folder with the new one and it was already set to avionics70.dll.

I overwrote the cockpit folder with the new one and it was already set to avionics70.dll.

Did you overwrite with a new avionics.ini?

You're definately getting closer, but out of a question are you running any other mods at the same time? The RWR and HUD still look different from the standard ones that come in that update.

Not that I know of. Nothing F-14 specific at least.

What I would like to know is why the HUD hasn't changed. I completely replaced the cockpit files and the hud was in there. But it is still different.

Edited by zmatt

I just installed the pit over the one I had, and it worked fine...

On a side note, the gun cross is nowhere near where the gun aims. Is it located where it is just to "look right", or did F-14A gun crosses actually point well above where the gun actually shot?

If I had to guess, I'd say so. The thing is, you should still have the A/B HUD if you replaced the cockpit folder and avionics file.

Did you define the cockpit.ini file that you want the aircraft to use in the aircraft.ini? Because that might solve half of the problem.

So it turns out my F-14D came with an alternate cockpit. I tried it. These are my results.

what.jpg

what1.jpg

So now I have a working reticule, but its seems really anachronistic and its hard to see. Also, it doesn't change with the weapons. Its the same gun sight no matter what I am using.

So it turns out my F-14D came with an alternate cockpit. I tried it. These are my results.

what.jpg

what1.jpg

So now I have a working reticule, but its seems really anachronistic and its hard to see. Also, it doesn't change with the weapons. Its the same gun sight no matter what I am using.

OK dude, here's the deal.

The reason that latest HUD looks like crap is because it uses 60s_avionics.dll. It looks the same as the one that comes with the MF F-14.

I also realized that the HUD that was linked to on the first page of this thread doesn't have any aiming cues for missiles for me either. So I think that's the way it's intended. I'm assuming whoever put that together knows something about the F-14A HUD, and the real thing didn't have them either. I'll just put my faith in someone else on that one.

If you really need the aiming cues, one of the F-14 cockpit downloads gives the F-14 the same HUD as the WOE F-15. That's the one I used until recently when I switched to the one linked in this thread. So if you want the aiming cues, try and find that one...

:good:

*edit - try the "D" HUD here: http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=7055

or this one: http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=5864

Edited by malibu43

aimcue.jpg

Eh?

The actual Kaisar HUD for the F-14A and B had aim cues, they appear as a little diamond in real life, just as seen in the above picture. Sidewinders use the same symbology as the gun (the gun-cross). If you lock the target, then select SW, you'll have the diamond and the cross on the same target.

The HUD in my picture is the HUD that is included with the cockpit upgrade by The Trooper, so again, I have no idea why it's not showing up for you.

Edited by Caesar

Do you have these lines in your <aircraft>.ini file?

AvionicsDLL=Avionics70.dll
AvionicsDataFilename=F-14A_AVIONICS.INI

Edited by The Trooper