Sign in to follow this  
ErikGen

F-101B Voodoo V1.1

Let me understand ... you have no clue about the real radar ranges of the Voodoo-B ... but you are sure that the ranges i have set in the avionics.ini are wrong !? :blink:

I was thinking the same thing.

I guess what irritates me is the fact, people seem to think we don't research these things. AHHHHH I swear sometimes I should just give up.

I don't reckon he was saying it is wrong, just having a hard time verifying it is right, maybe?

Anywho, that RCAF skin is looking absolutely spectacular!

Once that is out, I plan on tweaking up a personal DBS campaign from whatever exists out there. It should be the coolest evar!

:good:

I don't reckon he was saying it is wrong, just having a hard time verifying it is right, maybe?
Same thing.

I didn't say anybody or any thing was wrong, I was just looking for the info on the F-101B radar since I could not find any.

I have several books on the VooDoo..

Osprey Air Combat by Robert F. Dorr 1987

Wings of Fame

Aerofax minigraph 5 by Kevin Keaveny 1984

And Air Combat Jan 1981 NY ANG VooDoos plus the WWW, but can't find any poop on the Radar. I was just asking where you got your info from...

Not trying to offend anybody, or point the finger, just looking for the info.. Still a great Jet to fly!

Edited by delta6

Its the MG-13 FCR which replaced the MG-11 FCR (which totally sucked and wasnt SAGE capable). Further improvements gave the MG-13 a max range of 60 miles. The problem with this is that not all of them got the update at the same time. So the B model you were tasked to fly might have the weaker -13.

I got my info from actual Voodoo manuals at the USAF Museum.

Most Cool of Wright-Patt hooking you up.

For your amusement, two quick stories of me and the VooDoo. While I was at Wurtsmith AFB, Michigan 1982, the Canadian VooDoo's would always stop for gas or have to divert because of WX. One day a 425th FS VooDoo broke, and waited for the other VooDoo to fly down from Bagotville with the MX dude to fix the other VooDoo. While watching them fix the VooDoo, the Pilot took me out to the jet and let me sit in it before they headed for home. After my 15 min tour of the jet ,they had to go. I asked the pilot if he could do a Max performance takeoff. Sure young man, we will see what we can do for you. So as they taxied out, the other VooDoo crew came out of base ops. The RIO says, hey young airman, ever sat in a VooDoo before? Why no, I would sure like to though. So as the other crew helps me up the ladder and into the pilots seat of the second VooDoo, here come the First VooDoo Full AB on the deck, and pitches up right over us. Not a bad day.

Second story;The F-101B at Malmstrom AFB. Again at Wurtsmith, a F-101B come in one day (136th FIS), but starts yanking and banking in the pattern. The guy was really hot dogging it. After he lands and shuts down, I ask him where he is going? He says he is going to put this 101 on a stick at Malmstrom. So when he was walking out for his final leg to Malmstrom, again, I asked can you do a max performance take off. Well son, I got a belly tank, but let me see what I can do. I also asked him for his squadron patch, but said he would mail me one. Sure... I thought. Anyways, he takes off and pitches it up real nice with two big burners glowing up into the clouds. Years later after my stint in Alaska, I saw that VooDoo on a stick at Malmstrom. As for the patch, he never mailed it to me. He flew in with a T-33 one day, and handed it to me, and is on my wall today. Cheers!

We were stationed at Wurtsmith from 1981 to 1983 then from 1988 to 1991. Wurtsmith is where I met my wife. (in high school) I can tell you my dad took me out many times to the flight line to see what birds were sitting on the ramps. It where I saw my first 101s and 106s. My in laws still live in Oscoda.

Small world. Guess the F-106s were from K.I.? 87th Birds? Hope you enjoyed the stories. Good work a on the VooDoo, man that thing is fast!!!

Not sure if they were from KI or not. I saw a few from a number of units. I sure do miss that base.

About the radar range of early versions ... i have read that the improvements done on the MG-13 FCR had doubled its search and lock capability ... so it is reasonable to think that early Voodoo-B had a max range of about 30 miles ... have someone something to say about?

Erikgen

I am sending you this early RCAF scheme for use with the early F-101B.

img00019.jpg

img00020.jpg

Just a quick follow on on the VooDoo Radar... My friend Erv F-106 crew chief hooked me up with a old F-101B VooDoo radar maintainer. This is what he had to say about the VooDoo....

Rollan,

Wow, you are calling for some real cerebral stimulation as I quit working on them in 1964 but here goes. A 'B' sweep which tracked the

travel of the radar antenna back and forth was used for target acquisition and had ranges of 6, 15 & 30 miles. Target indicated by a

bright 'gate' in the sweep. System would not allow engaging until target was at the 20 mile mark. Armament selection was either Genie nuke

rockets or Falcon IR/radar guided missiles. The system had an F sweep going vertical on the side of the scope showing amplitude of the return

and tracked the closing rate. If equipped with the IR system there would be a C sweep running back and forth across the scope.

To be accurate your system should incorporate the F101B flight problem being 'pitch up' if the pilot gets too wild.

Probably a good thing this info is de-classified now. If this is not enough info please advise and I will go to some of my people. Let us

know.

Richard A. Doritty, chairman, 60th FIS

Side note:

However in the book Aerofax Minigraph5 McDonnell F-101B/F by Kevin Keaveney 1984 page 3, he states " Refinement to the MG-13 FCS doubled the radar sweep from 30 to 60 miles as the system progressed through operational missions. O.K. I'll shut about the radar now. Happy New year, and thanks again for that fine One-O-One. Just need a BEER to go with it, or is that a BEAR to go with it?

Edited by delta6

Just a quick follow on on the VooDoo Radar... My friend Erv F-106 crew chief hooked me up with a old F-101B VooDoo radar maintainer. This is what he had to say about the VooDoo....

Rollan,

Wow, you are calling for some real cerebral stimulation as I quit working on them in 1964 but here goes. A 'B' sweep which tracked the

travel of the radar antenna back and forth was used for target acquisition and had ranges of 6, 15 & 30 miles. Target indicated by a

bright 'gate' in the sweep. System would not allow engaging until target was at the 20 mile mark. Armament selection was either Genie nuke

rockets or Falcon IR/radar guided missiles. The system had an F sweep going vertical on the side of the scope showing amplitude of the return

and tracked the closing rate. If equipped with the IR system there would be a C sweep running back and forth across the scope.

To be accurate your system should incorporate the F101B flight problem being 'pitch up' if the pilot gets too wild.

Probably a good thing this info is de-classified now. If this is not enough info please advise and I will go to some of my people. Let us

know.

Richard A. Doritty, chairman, 60th FIS

Then I think we got it set up pretty much on the mark. The C sweep of the IR system was used more for the GIB to angle the FCR to the proper target orientation to achieve lock on. Folks this FCR had to be locked on by hand. Thus the need for a GIB to begin with.

Dave, Am I missing something here, the picture of the Canadian VooDoo's don't show the IR seeker. Though I know its true to form before "Peace Wings" came along in 1971. Is that a skin mod, or another F-101B V1.02?

The Voodoo without IRST is a stand alone version... i will release it soon as "Early F-101B".

Dave, Am I missing something here, the picture of the Canadian VooDoo's don't show the IR seeker. Though I know its true to form before "Peace Wings" came along in 1971. Is that a skin mod, or another F-101B V1.02?

As Erikgen said, its the pre-IRST B. I guess I should of made that clear.

erikgen,

Not sure if your intrested or even care, but If you would like some original F-101B patches for all your hard work, let know..

-Rollan

erikgen,

Not sure if your intrested or even care, but If you would like some original F-101B patches for all your hard work, let know..

-Rollan

Thank you Rollan, really i am not very interested in this kind of things , save them for peoples who can appreciate this stuff much more than me.

Thanks again for the offer.

erikgen,

-Rollan

I know I am interested. Been trying to get my hands on some Voodoo patches.

Dave, I figured you would have had a VooDoo patch or two. Where do you want me to send them to? Need F-101B pictures too? My dad took them years ago.

If I can get a good pic of that tail shouldn't be a problem at all.