Uploaded Version 4.3, awaiting approval

- Fixed fuel values for all aircraft, now current and close to the real values

• Thanks 1

Learning a new skin is hard sometimes, but the best way to do it sometimes is just to do your own personal skin to figure out what goes where. I can't promise much with the TW F-14 but I got some decals from Dave that may help skin this plane up. Also, a download confirmed that the templates used for this are the ones by pappychecksix, so thanks for the wonderful templates, other than the drop tank, which i squared away as well. Also "deadened" the reflection part of the sun. USN birds aren't flashy and lo-visibility colors work best when the sun does highlight, but not brighten the skin.

img00011.JPG

img00012.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

looking good.

will suggest turning the layer (whether on skin or if its a decal) opacity on the common markings like the "NAVY" and hte insignia down to at least 70%. its usually slighlty darker than the above tail is in most photos

i say at least 70%, most of the markings on USAF birds i do get dialed down to 55%. but go whats right to your eyeball

Edited by daddyairplanes

Okay, I'll keep it in mind

An "Easy" one, working on the Razgriz version of the F-14A:

img00013.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks, I'm using the stuff from the TMF version to make things quicker.

• Like 1

More (a little) progress. I had hoped to finish this tonight but the mouse god killed my trackball so I will probably get it out tomorrow or Thursday. It's such an easy skin though as the template is very nice and high res making for some good stuff here.

img00014.JPG

A near-finished skin. Just  have to do the tail tips (able to be done with a working mouse):

img00016.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Managed to get my new mouse, so I was able to finish the skin and upload it, awaiting approval.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well once I get a new laptop sent to me I will see about doing more planes. What I don't know as my reference folder is pretty thin.

• Thanks 1

Got my laptop so I'm almost setup. I just need to figure out what I am going to do. I'm thinking of making a version of the F-14 from Top Gun 2 but I'm sure the one in the movie is a D and not an A. But then again  I could make it whatever. Still  not sure what unit to go over given the dearth of stuff for it. But I'll find something for sure.

Or I'm open to suggestions as well given I can't figure out where to start.

Edited by EricJ
  • Like 1

Yeah that's the one I did for you back awhile ago. Maybe I'll do it for The TW cat then...

• Like 2

Working on the Maverick scheme:

img00005.JPG

img00006.JPG

• Like 2

And pretty much done:

img00007.JPG

img00008.JPG

• Like 3

Uploaded and awaiting approval.

Decided to do this VF-111 CAG. Since the squadron was disestablished in '95 I guess I can apply it to the F-14A. The hardest part is cleaning up the shark mouth as it works so far, but needs some fine tuning in order to wrap around the nose, which is me figuring out how the nose is mapped:

img00001.JPG

img00002.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

More progress

img00004.JPG

img00006.JPG

• Like 5

More progress. Unfortunately the tails weren't working for me so one side is correct, and the other side "looks okay" by my look at it. The mapping is weird and adapting the stuff to the TW bird is a little rough, but as you can tell it looks okay though, enough to pass some muster I suppose:

img00005.JPG

img00007.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Uploaded and awaiting approval.

Noticed that the Tomcats were a bit clean, and decided to dirty it up a bit. I'll probably do a generic one for Swordsman's mod:

img00001.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

come over to the dark side

make tga weathering, three or 4 varieties. then mix em up amongst the squadron (including clean CAG birds)

first one is a PITA in all caps. but the next 3 to 77 are really easy after that.:declare:

i done did it for the 90s C-5s, and will do it if i ever get back to doing naval Phantoms

• Like 2

The template is high res so I won't do a .tga decal for weathering, it's a bit much doing it on the skin rather than a decal. And I don't have much love for decals, especially when you can just paint it on the texture. I have yet to do decal work for the TW F-14A (I want to do a late Iran bird, but I can't access the DLC in which the TW one is) and probably limit that to the Modex if anything.

• Haha 1

i figured. mostly just teasing you, although when you do have a variety of dirt on the flight line its pretty cool. again, check out the C-5s one day

do you have USN numbers? i have several varieties of the 100 and 200 series avail in proper font if ya need (multiple colors shadowed, slanted, white, black)